“Great experiance will be staying here again.”

First Hotel Grims Grenka
Ranked #51 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Nice Hotel great room plenty of space. Breakfeast was very good. Lots of attractions and places to eat within a short walk. Staff was great and very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dpries123

Reviewed 1 October 2009

Yes the Grims Grenka Hotel is fashion and modern… soft atmosphere, wood and glass materials everywhere, waterfall is the restaurant room, etc. It is a nice and quiet place.

But unfortunately facilities are actually lower than expected.
The size of the room was quite correct, but a lot of details were not convenient: no mirror above the wash basin, no soap dish in the shower, tiny tower rail, the mirror in the shower was cracked from top to bottom...
Service was also disappointing: I stayed two days but they forgot to make my room… my only compensation was a “we are so sorry”…

Finally, an acceptable hotel if you find a discount rate (less than 1300 NOK per night). The standard rate seems really overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
FHGrims, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2009

Dear grisou9,

It is our intention to keep the occurrence of such mistakes that you mention at a minimum. And we certainly strive to take corrective action once a mistake has occurred. We are normally well known for our exceptional guest service, and as it seems this was not the case on this occasion I would like to apologize.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to serve you and exhibit our normal staff efficiency and helpfulness.

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I had a brilliant stay at Grims Grenka, the restaurant food was superb. All the staff were professional, discreet, whilst friendly and helpful. My room was gracious, clean with a huge ensuite. I felt like a princess for 2 days..........!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
FHGrims, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2009

Dear Helena-Anna,
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We strive to make all our guest feel special here at First Hotel Grims Grenka.
We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 August 2009

Rooms dirty and shabby with broken mirrors etc and phones and air con not working it is a 2 star hotel for 5 star price...staff were very nice and tried their best but grossly understaffed sometimes just three people appear to be working...poor guy on breakfast was totally alone in the kitchen and serving...no food except stale bread left at 9am!!! Not enough cleaners and boy does it show carpets are in need of a good clean and dust everywhere...despite the modern decor this is actually a badly designed hotel... warped floors from poor underfloor heating, windows that do not open (serious problem when air con does not work!) or provide much natural light, phones and air con not working, no room service, no pay tv, rubbish really dissapointed...staff all looked very depressed. Fancy lighting cannot make up for this....

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicmck69

Dear nicmck69,

It is only through the comments and efforts of guests like you that we are able to improve our product and service, and I sincerely appreciate your thorough and well-thought out observations. Rest assured that your comments have been taken to heart and a change in houskeeping staffing has already been made.
We do hope that you will give us another chance to serve you and exhibit our normal staff efficiency and helpfulness.

Reviewed 21 August 2009

What a disapointment ! After a disgraceful experience in First Marin Hotel in Bergen - amazingly dirty and without any kind of service whatsoever - I though arriving to Oslo could bring peace back to me summer rest. However I was 100% mistaken as since the moment we set foot in the hotel everything was a disaster. We had booked a winter lounge ( only 26 m2 ), as we prefer pale colors and we feared the red and black of the bigger rooms could be too much, but as the room was tiny and awefully serviced ( dirty, broken TV, poor quality in every detail ) we decided to change it for a better and bigger option. It was not after checking 3 other rooms that we were satisfied enough ( despite having to pay 3150 KR a night ) as to stay in the hotel. However the experience was a nightmare. As in the other hotels of the FIRST HOTEL CHAIN , DIRTYNESS was everywhere ( after the check in I took myself a pair of used socks I found in the closet from a former client to the reception ). The man in the reception ( apparenty the only employee working in the whole hotel - he did the check in, he came to my room when I asked for glasses, he came back again when a asked for a TV control, etc .) recognised me there were short of personal ( that is an understatement as it was a real shame and a disgrace for the hotel community / it's imposible to run a hotel without employees ) and they had retired the hotel info from the rooms to avoid any room service request or any other request at all.
They didn't clean the room any single time in 4 days; the room was all black so it was very easy to see the hairs all over the room specially in the lounge. My wife refused to sit in the sofas as the dirtiness was unbearable. The corridor were disgustingly dirty and the same vaccum cleaner stayed near our door without being used at all in 4 days.
I complaint to the reception ( to the same guy obviusly ) that there were 2 light broken and some pieces of a broken mirror on the floor but after 4 days they were still the same. He tried to calm me down telling me that the technician had been in the room but he needed especial tools to repair the light but it was obvious that noone had been there at all as there were absoluty short of personal ( probably summer holidays ).
The brakfast was absolutely poor. No refilling at all and missing all the elementary stuff any decent buffet should have.
In conclusion, it was a nice design hotel but extremely dirty, with no service at all ( a constant in FIRST HOTELS ) and a very poor quality in general. I read in another critic that the appearance is good but the material are poor and I can't agree more: everythin you touch it just collapse. definitively design it's not all.
Next year I will go back to the classical COntinental or the Grand as the Grims Grenka is far from what they sell.
Ah, and the noise from the night club in the terrace is unbearable. When we complaint to the hotel the recognised they should have told us about that ( we have the loft just under the club ) but they forgot. They apologised but it was too late.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This hotel is most unusual. It could be wonderful but somehow misses it. The whole hotel is dark as if it`s a nightclub-this doesn`t work in the day. The first room we were offered was dirty with bits of peeling paint on the windowsill. We complained and were offered an alternative. When I commented that the hotel needed attention, the concierge (who was delightful and most helpful on every occasion) agreed with me that it needed an overhaul.
The arrangement in the rooms is very strange. There is a window into the bathroom so that there is no privacy at all. Of course one may say that partners can share everything but most people like privacy in a bathroom.
The dining room is very dark and there is very little service. A guest asked for scrambled eggs and was told that the chef was busy so it would 'take a while!'

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

It's a designer hotel. Our room, a suite, was very dark. Black celing and black/dark red walls and black curtens. No picktures to light up the walls. The lightning in the rom was also terrible, so for girls who wants to put make-up on, that was impossible. It was a very depressing room. The pillows was hard. The bed has Jensen madrasses, electric, but they didn't work. The bathroom is in the bedroom so you can't have no privacy if you should like that. On the toilet there was no towels and no soap, and it wasn't made a place for it eighter........ Tha minibar gave you very few choices.
There was no place to sit for resting. Breakfest was good.
We paid nok 3.000,- for 1 night (weekend) - thats way too much!!!! We won't come back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple