“Excellent staff and great location”

First Hotel Grims Grenka
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
San Diego
“Excellent staff and great location”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

My fiance and I stayed here last March (I know...late review) and had a great time. The location of the hotel is prime, the breakfast is fantastic and the staff was magnificent. Katrin at the front desk was so helpful, she made our stay so easy and had an answer or suggestion for every question. The hotel is modern, but it is still comfortable. The rooms were great, roomy with comfortable beds. The hotel is close to everything and is only a bus ride away from bygdoy (where the museums are -- definitely recommend by the way). In short, it was a great hotel with friendly staff. If you are looking for a bed and breakfast, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brussels
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I stayed in the hotel in January and instead of 1 night, I was charged for 3 nights.
After several phone calls and 3over three moths I was never reimbursed.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank An_Brussels

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2010

The whole place is dark, hard and ascetic. If you're a cool 20-something who loves design then enjoy. For a middle-aged business traveler this triumph of form over substance is frankly depressing. You don't need a long list, just one example is enough: there is no shelf in the shower. You can guess the rest. We won't be going back, though the roof terrace is apparently very popular in summer.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JulianTreasure
copenaghen
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I stayed at First Hotel Grims Grenka this Tuesday and it is definetely on of the best I have ever stayed. I was in Oslo for business and my Company booked the accomodation for me. I had a Winter Room, with blue and white colours, on the 6th floor and it was amazing, especially the bed was so confortable that I didn't want to wake up the next morning. I also ate at the restaurant Madu on that night, I had these raw fish appetizers, very delicate, you have to try them especially with the sauce. Then the waiter, I guess it was from US, served me a delicious meat and at the end I tried the goat cheese dessert, amazing! The receptionist, Lene and Alina, were really nice to me and very service minded. I also enjoyed the breakfast a lot.
I will tell my Company to use this hotel again and I want to try the roof top, I heard it will open at the end of April..

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank howardgroem
Oslo - Norway
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Yes the Grims Grenka Hotel is fashion and modern… , but not well build. It is soft atmosphere, wood and glass materials everywhere, waterfall is the restaurant room, etc. It is a nice and quiet place.

But unfortunately facilities are actually lower than expected.
The size of the room was quite correct, but a lot of details were not convenient: no mirror above the wash basin, no soap dish in the shower, tiny tower rail, tiles was falling of the wall, The room was not tidy at all upon arrival, cigasrett ash and empty cigarett packs by the window. The waterfall shower was wonderfull as long as you hold the button that made it work. The whole hotell seems worn down. The television audio system ? You have to be an engineer to get it working (Iactually didn't get it to work, and it was to late to make someone come and fix it.

Breakfast was cold and it was always empty on the trays. I expect a whole lot more from a hotel like this.

The service from the employees where good and personal, and they where trying as good as possible.

Finally, an acceptable hotel if you find a discount rate (less than 1300 NOK per night). The standard rate seems really overpriced.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mathias1968
Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 February 2010

The reception staff and food and beverage manager were friendly and helpful. One of the girls on reception gave me useful advice about a number of public transport options for the things that I wanted to do whilst I was there.

I stayed in a winter room on the third floor. It was very spacious, it was clean and the bed was big and super comfortable with lovely plain white bedding. There was a television, iron and ironing board in the room but no tea/coffee making facilities.

The lighting in the bathroom wasn't very good for putting make-up on and there was no bath tub (shower only). The complimentary toileteries were nice. They included shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, body lotion, a dental kit with a tooth brush and tooth paste in it, a vanity kit which had cotton wool pads and little emry boards and a shaving kit (not sure what was in that, I didn't open it).

The location ws good, it was about a 15 minute walk from Oslo S on a quiet street. The over all standard of the hotel was I felt was four star. I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank AnonymousGirl1980
Sydney
Reviewed 3 January 2010

After searching numerous websites for a decent hotel in Oslo, we were close to despair. Most seemed to have the decor and ambience of a Formula 1. As our time here was limited and the days extremely cold, we wanted a nice room to unwind and relax in.
Whilst the reviews on TA were at best "average", we decided to give Grims Grenka a go as there wasn't much in the way of quality hotels around.
We booked the Loft Suite which is apparently their top category room. Once we checked in I had to call down stairs to make sure this was the right room, as whilst it was OK, it was far from great !. I suppose we should have had an inkling when we had to lug our own bags to the room and the "happy-go-lucky" attitude of the front desk when we checked in.
The hotel has potential, but the lack of the "smaller things and attention to detail", made all the difference. Firstly. the lighting is terrible, it's like being stuck in a twilight zone all day, the mood settings on the light panel are a good idea, but there isn't a setting that gives enough light to read etc.
The shower has an over-head shower head that took some minutes to get working as the water kept wanting to revert to the hand unit.... however, we eventually got it working. There is no place to hang the bath towells, so we were forced to drape these over teh side of the tub, nor was there a shelf in the shower for our shampoo, soap etc...
The room had no proper make-up mirror, so my partner was forced to apply her make-up in the entrance hall where the lighting was "adequate".
The room lacked tea and coffee facilities.
The room did not have any tissues !!!!, but did have a complimentrt tooth brush and shaving kit ..... figure that ?.
The bed was one of those that has the electronic recline/incline etc.. but it did not work..... but I must say at least it was comfortable.
The buffet breakfast was at best adequate, no green tea... only black and early grey, the only hot items were scrambled eggs (which I suspect where the instant/powdered variety) and bacon....... and these were cold :(.... There were no fresh fruit slices, and whilst there was bread, there was no toaster. The Crossaints were nice however, only candied honey was supplied - no jam or other spreads were available.
The restaurant was not open of an evening and we were not told this when booking or checking in.
There is a mini-bar in the room but no price list, so I'm still trying to figure out if it's complimentry or if I will have to pay (yes..... I'm still staying here whilst writing this review).
The room looked "tired" and you can tell that the management really don't take any pride in the appearance of the property - check out the big hole in the bathroom wall !!!!.
Overall..... i wouldn't recommend the place. With a bit of effort from manangement and with some extra investment in the rooms and general ammenities, it could be very good.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple