“Cheap and practical option close to Oslo centre”
Review of Chateau Apartments

Chateau Apartments
Ranked #70 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Chateau Apartments is located by the river Akerselva in the Grunerlokka district. It took me 20 minutes to get there on foot with luggage from Oslo Sentralstasjon.

The apartment I had was spacious and pleasant enough, but one always felt that the décor could do with a bit more imagination. The furniture is quite basic, IKEA style. In my apartment, there were unfurnished spaces which made the rooms look empty and sound echoey. The chandeliers look incongruous in the setting, which otherwise would be described as furnished student accommodation. The kitchen utensils supplied are good for light cooking only, and I had to ask for items that I assumed would come as standard. The WiFi was somewhat erratic and the heating was hard to regulate, making the apartment stifling at times. However, one gets what one pays for and this is a minor quibble, because the service I received was friendly and competent.

I would recommend this place for those on a budget looking for a place to stay in Oslo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Located in the fashionable Grünerlökka district, these serviced appartments are a useful alternative to a regular hotel. The building is situated a few minutes from a tram stop, but also even reachable by foot from the railway station (ca 15 mins). The reception is not always open and it is advisable to call ahead and tell them when you come. The hallways are drab and the rooms do not contain any amenities (don't forget your shampoo). They are not serviced daily. On the positive side, the rooms are fresh and large. I had a very large sitting room with dining table and open kitchen, plus a bath room, bed room and even walk-in wardrobe. The price is slightly below that of a regular hotel. If you do not need all hotel services, but would like some space, this is a useful alternative. One odd thing: I needed to extend my stay, but the receptionists could handle that; instead, I was referred to a sales manager, to be contacted via email. I thought that was too cumbersome, so I went somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the inner court are quieter, but you need to close your curtains at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just back from Oslo. Got this on bookings.com - 350 euro for three nights for a 2 bedroomed apartment. Not bad, not at all. I thought it was OK. My 17 year old son was not too impressed. He thought it was dirty.... maybe it was the room he was in. We had a living room/kitchen, 2 bedrooms. It was central, just up the street was an area with shops, restaurants, so we could pick up snacks and drinks. Oslo is expensive, especially for eating out. A nice city, great things to do an see. The bloody Munch museum happened to be closed when we were there and I really wanted to see THE SCREAM. Did a hop on/hop off ferry trip and visited the Museum area. I am not a spoilt 17 year old so this place was fine for me. The sheets could do with a bit of a makeover as some of them were torn and extra pillows and duvets would come in handy. For an expensive city this was a total bargain.

Room Tip: Great deal/
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maura-Irish
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We rented this apartment for four nights. It is a bit away from the train station area, about a 25 minute walk. The apartment was 525 sq ft with two bedrooms, a kitchen area, big refrigerator and dining room/living room. Wifi worked well. There were also two bathrooms (big). The showers were a bit different. There was only a shower curtain so had to be careful about water flowing to the rest of the bathroom floors. The people at the desk leave at 11pm. You use codes to get into the building as well as for your apartment. Price was about $160 USD per night. The building is only about three years old. The building lies on a dead-end street two blocks from a main street which has grocery stores, restaurants, and one of the few state-owned liquor stores in town. The ground floor has four washers and one dryer which are free to the guests, but bring your own detergent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BruceCPA
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in a one bedroom apartment. Payed NOK 900, so that's not bad. But you get what you pay for...
The area was chabby and it was a construction site so much noise outside my window. Bedroom was narrow so I had to climb over the bed to close the curtaines. Bed was good.

Couch was cheap and not good to sit in. Chairs was not good. Kitchen was nice with lots of equipment. Bathroom was not clean and it was cold with cheap furniture. The living area was cold too. So the heat didn't work. Lucky for me it was not winter time. But still it was too cold in the apartment.

I was out of the apartment two times. Both times I got back I didn't manage to open the door to the building. After pressing the 4 digit code 4 times the door opened (but I think that the reception opened for me both times).

Next time i find something else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Trondheim10
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a very luxurius apartment. It is very spaceful and very clean and modern. We were 4 people in the apartment and we had 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, dining room and a well equiped kitchen. Everything inside is new and the appartment is very modern with all the conditions you need. At first we were afraid of the area because we read that is dangerous but we found out that there is a well located hotel with bus stops very close. It is an excellent choise and we wish we could stay again at chateau apartments.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eirinibozini B
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a 4 bed apartment for 5 nights with work colleagues. This apartment complex offers excellent value in Oslo (which is very expensive!). It is a little like living in an ikea showroom, but that is ok. The main problems are: in the 4 bed apartment the layout is very odd, where the upstairs three bedrooms are all connected (ie you have to walk through other bedrooms to get to the last room), there are not real sheets on the bed (they are more like a toweling under sheet and very uncomfortable) and there are only towels (no hand towels or bath mats). If the management fixed these linen issues it would be a much more pleasant experience to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2013