“Excellent location, peaceful room”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The location is at the middle of Oslo.
The room was quite large. The rooms at upper floors offer great views if the Weather is fine.
Excellent Scandinavian breakfast.
I had a quick very late dinner at the Irish pub downstairs. The burger was pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tarje H, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Oulu,

Thank you for this great review after your stay at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is very conveniently situated: adjacent to the station, very close to bus stops, taxis and the hop on hop off buses. The walk to the harbor is about 20 - 30 minutes. Good restaurants are also very close. Visiting Oslo and staying in this hotel made it easy for us as tourist to get around quickly. Many attractions can be visited on foot and no public transport is necessary. The service was good. Reception and the concierge were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: it is great to have the harbor views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Marliese,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

POSITIVES:
-Central location
-Reception staff is very friendly and polite. Special thanks to Ida who checked us in and security man ( sorry don't know your name) who helped us to fix our pushchair when it broke.
-Excellent breakfast,both hot and cold, good variety and quality.
- Comfortable bed.
- Despite central location our room was very quiet.
-Air con is very quite and does its job very well.
NEGATIVES:
- Room needs a bit of updating
- Cleaners definitely need some training in cleaning. Although I could see that they have been but the room and especially bathroom was not cleaned to a high standard. Toiletries were never replaced and we had to call reception and ask for more.
- Small things such as box of paper tissues or pen were missing in the room.
- I would expect a bit more from 4* hotel and it's hugely overpriced as it is.
SPECIAL NOTE: be aware that children 12 yo and younger can stay in their parents room for free if there is no extra bed required. I emailed to the hotel asking them whether it would be ok for me to book a double standard room as our 2 yo child did not require an extra bed. I have received 2 replies from 2 different people. Both were from European Reservation Centre in Dublin and both stated that I was NOT allowed to do so and advised to book a family room which was aprx £80 per night more expensive than a standard double room! I was not happy about this reply and went again on hotels website to find out how to contact the hotel directly. Luckily I can read Norwegian and when I studied the website more carefully I was surprised to learn that the policy about children staying for free was clearly displayed on the hotels page. Therefore I just ignored the replies I received and booked a double room. We had no problems on arrival and as we stayed in the hotel 3 nights we saved nearly £240 by NOT booking a family room. We actually were asked at the check in if we would like to have an extra bed for our child. We declined but from the way it was asked we got an impression that if wanted it we wouldn't be charged extra.
So if you have any queries about the hotel, don't email them as the email would go to people in reservation centre in Dublin who have no clue what is going on in the hotel they work for!
Overall, we had an excellent stay. We love Oslo and nothing would have spoiled it.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank aleksa20

Dear Aleksa,

Thank you for taking time posting your review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will contact our office in Dublin, and use our feedback for improvement.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I arrived in Oslo, Norway on June 13, 2014. First time traveling abroad alone & in Norway.

I picked this hotel because I had lunch reservations at the 2 Michelin stars restaurant, Maaemo on the 14th and I was seeing Swan Lake at the Opera House on the 15th. Radisson Blu Plaza is close to both; as well as being close to the trains, trams and bus terminals. I was traveling with a lot of luggage and learned very fast TO USE the handi-capped RAMP (instead of the stairs - that I see people make the mistake in doing!) to get to the hotel from the city center.

I was happy to find out they UPGRADED me at NO additional cost. I was on the top floor for rooms. 32nd. The 33rd is the Pool and Gym. The 34th is the fantastic Sky Bar "Sky Bar on 34" .. My room had a GREAT view of the city w/the mountains in the background.

I was there during the World Cup & I enjoyed hanging out at the Galway Bar that is located in the hotel. Friendly bartenders & it was awesome meeting people from all over the world. I ate @ the Galway as well on Friday night w/ finger foods. Having an after dinner drink @ the Sky Bar on 34 tops off the night!

The breakfast is served on the 2nd fl. They offer a lot, BUT I wish they offered more vegetarian choices. I ended up eating fruit and toast. I happen to LOVE their COFFEE!!

I did NOT have any problem getting my key to work in the elevator or in my room.
AND there ARE PLENTY of Restaurants close by!! YOU just have to get out of your room to explore the area! There ARE side walk restaurants around the corner from the hotel & at the City Center. There is even a Deli DeLuca (deli & mini market) next to the hotel!

The FRONT DESK staff was VERY HELPFUL! They even got me a map & DREW a line & wrote the names of where I have to go! NO one pointed vaguely to me as stated in one of the below reviews & the neighborhood is NOT sketchy!! I am from Westchester NY (wealthy area) & I felt VERY SAFE in this area. I walked to the Opera House, to the Barcode District, Maaemo's, City Center, & ONLY met the most SUPER FRIENDLY & HELPFUL people! (I guess that is why they couldn't find any places to eat, cause they never left their room!) There IS construction going on (I'm very familiar w/ that being from NY) & the building's design are simply beautiful.

It is a shame when people are too afraid to go out & live life. I met great people & ate amazing food. I have a lifetime of memories.

The Radision Blu Plaza made my 1st trip to Norway MOST memorable! (I was in Norway from June 13 - June 24 Oslo, Bergen, Flam, Trondheim & back to Oslo where I stayed at another Radisson hotel by the Royal Palace - Scandinavian).

Room Tip: Higher floors have the BEST views!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gina M

Dear Gina,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the ultimate stay while visiting Oslo. Specialy if you Upgrade Your room. You get the Perfect view over the city nd the breakfast they serve you in Your room , wooow it is just great.
The area arround the hotel With specialy Aker river is Worth the trip alone.

Room Tip: Upgrade Your room and doublr Your value , specialy from floor 30 and up
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tor Steinar,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This huge 34 Floor hotel with hundreds of travelers staying here has no dining facilities for lunch or dinner. Nor are there any restaurants within walking distance.
We arrived here by train with lots of luggage but it is a long hike involving stairs to get here or to the bus terminal which is also "next door". So we took a taxi, which involves a roundabout route since there is no direct street connection.
Nobody at hotel to assist us with all our luggage and then a long line to check in.

Our room key did not work on the elevator or room door requiring another trip down to the lobby to recode our entry cards.

The ice machine next to our room was out of order all three days.

Beautiful view from ou 26th floor room. Thankfully our fresh air window worked because the air conditioning did not cope well with the warm summer days.

The included breakfast was good with lots of choices and identical to two other Raddisons we visited.

How does management close down all the restaurants when the hotel is obviously busy?
Why do they close down the top floor restaurant and bar with panoramic views?

There was a concierge desk and a luggage desk but neither were staffed while we were there.

Front desk staff were minimally helpful when we had questions about nearby shops and services. They all just point vaguely toward the railway station.
Don't even think about going for a walk or jogging in this sketchy neighborhood.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Malice6

Dear Malice,

Thank you for taking time posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are very sad to hear that the stay did not meet your expectations, this is not the way we want our guests to experience the hotel. We will of course use this feedback for improvement.

Hope we will get the opportunity to see you here again- Welcome back!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We booked two rooms at this hotel, one with a double bed and one with two twins.
The room with the twin beds also had a sofa that converted in to a double bed.
Both rooms were very clean and had great views of the city.
The bathrooms in both rooms were very spacious and clean.
The location of this hotel is great for exploring the city using public transportation.
The only issue we encountered was that the key cards to both rooms would stop working.
We stayed at this hotel a total of 4 nights and we experienced issues with the key cards in both rooms at least a couple of times.
Our booking included free breakfast. In a city like Oslo were eating out is so expensive the breakfast provided at this hotel is truly impressive.
The breakfast buffet is huge and includes a wide selection of hot and cold items. The quality of the food is excellent.
Many of the items offered were organic and they have gluten free and vegetarian options.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. It is certainly not cheap but it is worth it.

• Stayed: June 2014