“Convenient location, nice staff, nice pool and restaurant”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo
Ranked #29 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

First, the pool. Perfect for me, who lap swims. A bit wider than a lane, views excellent. Likely disappointing for a rec swimmer who wants to play-this is more for workout.
Sauna (W): excellent. Clean, and the views from the picture window? Wow! Top floor so modesty is not an issue saw a rainbow to the left over the hills and the fjord to the right.
Breakfast was good quality, typical euro-fare, and decent variety. And no one does a soft boiled egg like Scandinavia. Creamy and delicious, and coming from happy farm chickens due to public policies and standards.
The restaurant 34 was the best food I had. Not cheap, but work took me to two other "fancy" places and neither compared with regard to food and courtesy of staff. I was so happy afterward...
The rooms were good, for an older hotel they did a good job of updates. As typical in the region, no tub, not enough electrical sockets near bed.
Staff was nice and friendly, very courteous, though not very attentive about coffee at breakfast, no overreaction when I filled my own cup.
Finally-the 5min walk to/in the train station to pick up the airport express train makes it perfect for business trips or first/last stops. A taxi from the airport to the hotel was 1400NOK; on the way back, the train was less than 200NOK as an alternative. Plus it took half the time (around 25 min)--and there is a kiosk to check into your flight.

• Stayed: August 2014
Tarje H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear EQB2013,

Thank you for your great review after your stay at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Tarje Hellebust, General Manager Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,590)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

I had great expectation of the Radisson Blu Plaza from the look of the web site and the photos on it, so much so that for a long weekend away we booked a Business class room.

Checkin was good and efficent, sadly the room was rather tired and certainly not like the photos on the website.

The first morning the breakfast was like a zoo. Absolutely packed (it looked like there were several cruise ships just arrived) and there was no where near the necessary amount of food counters available for the number of people there. I had to queue for over 10 minutes just to get a bowl of cereal!.

However, the next day they were more organised and laid on additional buffet stands out in the main lobby area which did ease matters.

However my biggest disappointment was that after a day of sightseeing on the Sunday we came back to the room around 6pm to find that whilst we had clean towels and new soap, shampoo etc the beds were not made, the room needed a vacuum and the bins had not been emptied.

On our way out to dinner we raised this with the front desk who informed us that they didnt make beds on a Sunday and if we wanted the bed made, the room vacuumed and the bins emptied they could arrange this for us!!

(Ok well I was kind of expecting this as standard at the prices we were paying.)

However, when we came back from dinner around 11pm we had clean towels again and shampoo topped up - we had taken a shower between sightseeing and dinner- but STILL the bed remained unmade and the bins not emptied and the carpet still un-vacuumed. (it still had bits all over it).

I expected a lot more from the Radisson to be honest. It was a perfectly 'adequate' stay. But with enough disappointments on the way that it certainly wouldn't make me swap my brand of choice away from Marriott. I actually wish I had gone for a none corporate hotel when staying in Oslo.

1  Thank PushkinLondon

Dear PushkinLondon,

Thank you for taking time posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are very sad to hear that the stay did not meet your expectations, this is not the way we want our guests to experience the hotel. We will off course use this feedback for improvement.
Hope we will get the opportunity to see you here again – Welcome back!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Excellently located and nearby the train station where a direct shuttle from the airport is very simple for a new arrival to Oslo and only 20 mins journey. I had a poor experience food wise in the Galway bar but service excellent. The rooms appear very dated but clean. All in all I will return back to this hotel due to it's central location for business reasons. Very friendly staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear gkneale,

Thank you for your review after your stay at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you all in all enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

I really dislike this hotel. v The architecture, design and attitude of the staff are all sub par. I stayed in the Radisson Blu in Bucharest earlier in the week which was wonderful. This by comparison feels like a 2 star youth hostel, fine if you are flash packing otherwise awful in most respects.

Oh and this is my second, and last stay....

Staff - I find them a little undertrained in terms of customer service, they rush, they forget their manners. They're pretty poor.

Decor - it's supposed to be open plan and modern, in line with the brand, but it's just cheap. The bar in particular is really 'peaky' as we say in north London. Everyone looking at each other, no cosy corners - it's like an airport lounge with really low chairs - awful.

Room Service Food - The room service burger last night came with no onion rings - when pressed they dropped the service charge but should have bought something else instead - but it was quick at least. The Sancerre was ok.

Breakfast - Awful - just awful. Crowded, full of teens in hoods on their phones, cold, bland eggs, no bacon (at 10:50am with 10 minutes left to go I was informed it would no be replaced, this is on a saturday). I notified the staff a serving spoon had fallen into the beans and they just fished it out. I pressed that it had been now contaminated as that spoon had had many guests hands on it, they looked at each other and then pledged to change it - so no beans for me. He did offer to bring me my own plate in 10 minutes:

1 - Why the wait for beans?
2 - I didn't feel his intentions were entirely honourable at this point - I was raised in kitchens and I have seen it all before.

Entertainment - The music in the bar is dreadful, as you might expect. BUT... the in-house entertainment system was as bad this time as it was last time. It's not like this in other Radisson Blus, why this one? It's glitchy the movies are old, they freeze there are menu problems and it basically drives you mad - awful after a hard flight hard day - just insulting and with the WORST cod blues riff on 'loud' repeat. Awful branding ads before you can select any options. It's the worst thing in the world and it's designers should be made to use it for all of their entertainment and information needs daily for life.

Other - the soundproofing is awful. I can hear when the bloke in the next room changes channel, picks his nose and farts. I can also hear 2 couple 'having fun' from my room.

Steer clear of this misery box

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dave W

Dear Dave W,

Hope we will get the opportunity to see you here again – Welcome back!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Nice hotel in the middle of Oslo, easy to reach from every major attraction in Oslo. It's close to Oslo S (directly connected by a bridge) where you arrive with the Airport Express train. It's a little expensive in weekends, just over 360 dollars did I and my guest pay for two nights in a standard room.

Room Tip: Chose a room as high as possible, stunning view of the city from every room. (We had in the 18th flo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Morten F,

Thank you for this great review after your stay at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

This hotel is centrally located, convenient to all public transportation and short walks to major attractions. Clean room, excellent service, and plentiful buffet breakfast. The average value rating I gave is based on U.S. dollars. Everything in Oslo is very expensive, including the hotel. In spite of that , I would recommend the hotel and I would stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear larrydavis441,

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I had a great experience at Radisson blu Plaza. They offered a complimentary upgrade on high floor! View was amazing: all city in front of me! Room service was fast and good. Panoramic elevator is a plus! I will recommend to stay here.

2  Thank danielecm