“nice but expensive”

Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Wroclaw
“nice but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Staff at the reception very polite and helpful. Radisson Blu is centrally located, you can walk to all the primary and secondary tourist sites from it. Room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was included and excellent. There were no tea/coffee making facilities in room. The internet did not work.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Here's a hotel that's well located, has a direct bus service from the airport (Fylbussen) and has a lot going for it but blows it with terrible front desk staff and ugly rooms.

Apparently if you don't know, the staff will check you in to the 20th floor where the rooms are "terrible" (front desks' words, not mine) and you be directly underneath the rooftop bar. You will hear partying in the middle of the night and when you call the front desk to ask, they will tell you (at 1am) - "Please pack up, come down, exchange for a different room, and we can accommodate you".

"Accommodate me ? " You, Mr Raddison, are in the business of guest services. You should have run up with a staff member, key for a new room in hand, and helped me move. I did not pay $200 a night to get out of my pyjamas when I am jet lagged only because you gave me a "terrible room".

Pros (there are a few):
The room rates are about what you'd expect in Oslo (US $200) for average rooms.
The direct bus drop off that cost about US $20 (NOK 150) from the airport (bus leaves every 30 minutes)
Centrally located close to Palace park, within a mile of walking to Karl Johanns gate (main shopping and happening area in Oslo)

Cons(there are lots):
Apparently they have been undergoing renovation and if you don't know, they will check you into a terrible room. Mine was located on the 20th floor.

The room was small, hardly equipped with anything, cold (they needed to bring a radiator heater to warm it up), and had no coffee machine, the lamp fuses were blown.

The furniture looked like it was bought used in a college dorm sale. It was broken.

The staff is unapologetic about any mistake they made. First they will check you into a terrible room under the rooftop bar (in case you are not an avid reader of travel forums, how would you know?). Next day when they give you an electronic key that is not working on your new room, they will ask you to come down again to fix the key, rather than sending up one of the 6 people standing around on front desk talking.

What kind of customer service training do these people go through ? I know they are Norwegians and arrogant about their high salaries, high quality of life but at a hotel, your salary is being paid largely by the guests who come in and pay $200 or more per night.

The food options are few at the hotel. They have a hotel bar, and a small restaurant (Enzo). Very expensive, limited menu and basic stuff for $50 a dish so beware.

My advice as a frequent traveler:

Do your research, find another hotel that may be a bit more expensive but give you better service and that with a smile.

1 Thank moimovi

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

On a business trip and too tired to go on a walk to find a good restaurant, my colleague and I resigned ourself to what we imagined would be an OK, overpriced and entirely forgettable meal at the hotel restaurant. I have eaten in many fine restaurants and the food and service here was fantastic and the prices, while not cheap, felt very reasonable after we had eaten :) Starter was grilled crayfish on baby rocket. The crayfish were more like Dublin Bay prawns, not the freshwater critters and were fresh, sweet, flame grilled and utterly devine. The accompanying Chablis was perfect. The main course of Monkfish with mashed potato, cauliflower, veg and sauce with some truffle flakes and oil was both substantial in a good winter dinner way, delicious and delicate. The service was also very good - another surprise for a business hotel restaurant. My colleague had a three times chocolate plus two times raspberry dessert which was also very good. I have eaten at a lot of good restaurants but have never posted here. I do it now because it was such a pleasant surprise to be able to eat really well without leaving the business class hotel. The waitress said that the chefs were very young. Congratulations to them and good luck to the Radisson keeping them!

Bodø, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is one of the more expensive hotels in Oslo (about 800 Euros per night) and you should expect a little extra. But there is nothing extra about this hotel. Yes the Skybar in 21 floor is great, the service is ok and the conference facilities are good, but other than that the hotel is over al a big disappointment. The hotel was build in the late 70's (or early 80's) and most of the rooms has not been renovated. If u are lucky the staff will place you in one of the rooms that has been renovated... I have stayed here several times when on business trip, and most of the rooms are from the 70's. One of the rooms I stayed in did not have air condition or heating, the TV was broke and it was very poorly cleaned.

Room Tip: Stay away from the top floor (22). No elevator and crap room..
1 Thank Sprinkle_Nor
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

After reading all the reviews on here about how awful the hotel is, I was very worried indeed as my partner and I had booked to stay for a week!

When we got there, we were met by very friendly receptionist who gave us the choice of a room on the 19th floor with great views OR one of the newly refurbished rooms lower down, after all we read on here we decided on the newly refurbished room. It was lovely! VERY clean, great bed and HUGE bathroom which was spotless! not much of a view but I didnt go on holiday to look out of the window! and when I did want to see the views they have an amazing bar up on the top floor which is really worth a look, although quite hard to get a seat when we went.

We had a problem with the safe in our room so we called reception and within 5 minutes someone was there to come and sort it out for us.

The breakfast was great! so much choice! you name it, they had it! and it was all fresh and very tasty and hard to stop going back for more! all waiting staff were very friendly and willing to help with anything.

In fact ALL staff we came across were nothing but friendly and helpful.

The bus outside is great! takes you straight to the airport with only about 4 stops at other hotels and only 150 Krone

Oslo is very expensive but that is a known fact, but if you get the Oslo-Pass you can get in to most attractions free and have use of the tram and even the boat ride around the fjords.. that is a must! it was beautiful!

I cant wait to go back to Norway, the people are all so very friendly and we had an amazing time.. I think people that write bad reviews on here are very sad, you should only complain if something really is worth complaining about.. think of the damage a few bad words can do..

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank claire h
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I am recently home from a boring New Year's in Oslo, but I must say that our hotel room was a little haven of relaxation.

Upon check in I requested one the the refurbished rooms, after a little reconnaissance work on here :))

Well I was thanking my lucky stars when the friendly girl at reception met my request.

The room was on the 10th floor. Room 1003.

It was very modern with everything new. Lovely headboard art. Brand new bathroom with rain shower. I'm guessing the TV was 38' flatscreen. Lots of channels from around the world, and for some reason VIP access to the movies also. (They were repeated though)

One bathrobe and pair of slippers, shower cap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. (all the usual). The beds and pillows were a bit too soft, but nothing to be making a fuss over. They were still comfortable enough.

Lovely view over Oslo, especially for the fireworks. Oh and the minibar is handy. Wine, nuts, crisps, chocolate bar, Carlsberg, fizzy drinks.

The bar on the 21st floor is nice and modern, obviously with a great view, but not very atmospheric. The staff are super friendly though.

The breakfast IMO was amazing. Everything you need. Cereal, cheeses, nice bread, crossaints, beans, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fried eggs, bacon, normal sausages, chicken sausages (ew), fruit, salmon, so many types of tea, and nice juice.

The location was very good, but not excellent. It was a 5 minute walk through the Palace Park into the centre of town.

I'm not really a New Year's person, but the fact that Oslo, including the museums, was almost completely shut down for New Year's Eve and day was a little depressing to say the least, but we made the most of it. Should have researched properly before making the trip.

Oslo in general is a complete RIP OFF!!!!!

But at least the hotel doesn't hike it's prices more than other places in the city, like a lot of hotels elsewhere do.

Even the minibar prices are reasonable. That is according to Oslo standards.

So I would say definitely book this hotel if you can get a refurbished room.

Judging by the pictures of the older rooms, I would NOT be happy staying in one of them. My review is based on the refurbished rooms and other hotel features.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room. We stayed in 1003.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed at Radisson Blu in August of 2011. I booked online and had moderate rate, but when I checked out they tried to charge for a different rate, 190 kroners more. I thought I had resolved this at checkout, but when I got my bill they charged the rate they wanted, plus they ran another 190 kroners and then credited 190. Since my flights to the US were cancelled due to a hurricane (irene), I had to make some phone calls. They charged over $100 for one 20 minute phone call so I could activate my cell phone. When I asked the front desk they simply replied "you can't get reimbursed for that?" So I needed to find an extra night accommodation in Oslo, and they said the room rate would increase an additional 200 kroners since it was a sunday night, but they had rooms available. Thats price gouging if I've ever seen it. I went to a nice place down the street and got a great room for half the price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends