“Mixed feelings about this place, but generally an ok choice.”

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel
Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings about this place, but generally an ok choice.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

First off, let me say that my stay here was quite acceptable but when I checked out my bill wasn't so I've marked as average as 'Value for Money' will be a low score until I've received a response from the hotel regarding my bill.

Visiting Oslo for the Norway v England football match I decided to book this place as it seemed well located and was on the right side of the centre to get the football stadium.

I caught the SAS Flybussen from the main Oslo airport as it terminates right outside this hotel so saved me the hassle of finding my way from the main station late at night. The bus was slightly overpriced but convenient. The hotel was well located, right next to the Royal Palace and very cloe to the main central road in Oslo that you can walk down to get to most places you want to go. There is also a T-Bahn station just acorss the park so that's handy too. It's less than a 10 minute walk from the harbour if you want to go out on any of the cruises around the Oslofjord.

Arriving at around midnight the reception was fairly quiet so I was seen straight away. I'd booked a twin room, and was assigned a room with a Queen bed, I'm not sure 2 male football fans look like they want to share a bed!? I pointed out the error and it was changed and I was given a twin room so all fairly painless.

Reading the other reviews about the dated decor I was pleasantly surprised. I was in a 'business room' on the 10th floor which was obviously one of those that had been redecorated. Room was an ok size and very clean and modern with a flat screen tv and a desk. Bathroom was a good size with a full wet area for the rainwater shower. Good choice of soaps and liquids for the shower.

Breakfast was included in my rate, so next morning I went down and after about 10 minutes I managed to find a table (The hotel was very busy due to the match, a holiday weekend in Norway and a large South American group that seemed to be an orchestra of some sort) The selection was fine, with the usual hot choice, breads, cereals and fruit.

I also made use of the swimming pool as it was a very hot weekend. It's in the basement with a small gym and is fine for a dip after a long day.

I checked out on Sunday morning (Seemed to be several members of staff milling around behind the desk, that were'n table to check me out which I find quite anooying) However after a few minutes I was seen to and it was at this point that I was told that I'd been upgraded so would pay the extra cost. I was fine with that as I'd opted to take an upgrade if available when I booked the hotel, and we were in one of the 'business rooms' even though I wasn't informed of this upgrade upon check-in. However I was charged a double upgrade as I was also told I had an 'Oslofjord' view. I pointed out that it was very unusual to be charged twice for an upgrade that I wasn't informed I was getting, and that the only view I had was of the roof of the hotel restaurant!!

I didn't have time to argue as I needed to rush to catch my flight, but I will be taking up this with the hotel management. I had a bad experience with overcharging under the old Radisson SAS brand and haven't used them since, but thought I would give them a try under their new image. Unfortunately I've been left wit a rather bad taste in my mouth and fell like I've been ripped off.

So, apart from the over charging issue I'd have no problem staying here again. Just make sure what room you're given when you are checked in and whether they wil be making any additional charges. If they'd told me I had a room with a view I could have come straight back down and told them I most certainly had no view whatsoever!!

Room Tip: Check which room type you're being given and whether they'll be adding any upgrade charges t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have spend 2 nights in this hotel in march 2012 and had a great experience there.
We have had a promotional room, and as a result and considering the fact that Norway is an expensive country, the difference between the Radisson blu and standards hotels is not so big. Besides, with the breakfast included, the prices are comparable to "cheaper" hotels.
The room was small but comfy, clean and we had a nice view. The staff is friendly and the receptionists helpful.
Breakfast is conform to the standards of those kind of hotels, pretty wide choice of food and the quality is ok.
The pool is situated in the basement and is an appreciated bonus, as well as the fitness and the sauna, while the top roof bar offer a nice panorama on the city (and the men's toilets are...surprising (in a good way)).
We will definitely return there during our next trip to Oslo

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed 15 May 2012

When you arrive in Oslo, you realise that none of the big hotel players are there - no Hilton, no Marriott, no Accor - except the home grown one, Raddisson. They have two big towers and some others around. Maybe it's the lack of competition, but this hotel doesn't cut it. The restaurant is amazingly expensive and, not surprisingly, empty every night we were there. And I mean empty. I had asked for a high room so was given one on the third floor. I asked for a higher room and was told that the one I had been given was 'refurbished' and I 'would not like a room that was not refurbished'. Probably true, since the refurbished room was very basic and very small. The staff though were great, just as well since they had to deal with a lot of complaints. There is a small lobby coffee shop which is good, although still very expensive. The bar on the 18th floor has a great view, but the rain was coming in (yes, I kid you not) and you cannot eat up there, only drink. I like Oslo, the new opera house is terrific, but the hotels...

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Arrived at the hotel around 11am and were able to check in right away. They upgraded us to the Business level which for us was the 17th floor. We had an awesome view of the port and downtown. The room came with their breakfast buffet, so we enjoyed that. The buffet was one of the best we have ever enjoyed. On demand omelets, soft boiled eggs, plenty of fresh fruit, breads and other delicacies. Decent coffee and great orange juice and cold milk! Checked out the fitness center, well organized and usable. Overall a great stay! Would definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2012
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

this hotel is in less desirable location and the non-renovated rooms are really to be avoided. Really poor TV choices, etc. Newer rooms are on par with the radisson plaza's rooms. The breakfast is standard fare for the major hotels. The rooms are large enough to not put off non-european travelers.. but the hotel is just less plesant for me compared to other hotels in the area.

They actually had an internet outage that lasted longer than my entire stay of 7 days!

Room Tip: ensure you get a recently renovated room!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Some rooms in their hotel are recently renovated; lucky if you get one of those. The majority, however, are long overdue for a re-make. Dirty and smelly bathrooms, leaking toilets, too hot, or too cold rooms, tacky furniture, no working WiFi... An enormously big, noisy and impersonal breakfast room - and who came up with the idea that you have to get a fried egg for every two pieces of bacon you want to have with your scrambles??? Oslo hotels in general aren't that good compared to what you get in other Scandinavian cities, but this is worse than usual.

Room Tip: Some rooms are newly renovated: Get one!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Hi, the Raidisson Blu Scandinavia is a great hotel. It is in the heart of Oslo with all sites within walking distance. The hotel has been remoddeld and the lobby, restaurant etc. are all sparkling new. All personal is very attentive, speak perfect english and will help with everything, late checkout, umbrella, no problem at all. If you arrive at OSL gardemoen airport you can take the flybus express bus that ends in front of the hotel and takes about an hour. It leaves every 20 minutes.

Downside for us was the rooms. We had been upgraded to a higher floor room with a view of the oslo fjord (18th floor). The room was very outdated, in no way related to the pictures on the hotel website. Furnishings were old and broken. Bathroom was 1960's. The beds (altough we asked for a king we had doubles) were ok and i slept fine. It seemed they were remoddeling rooms since there was a sign at checkin that you could upgrade to a superiore redisigned room.

So if you visit the hotel and would like to have a nice room make sure you get something remoddeled. If these rooms are like the remoddeled lobby you will be fine. The old rooms are ok to sleep but nothing special!

Breakfast is ok, lots of choices and nice decor.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple