“Tries very hard to be cool; lacks some basic utilities”
Review of Scandic Vulkan

Ranked #24 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
“Tries very hard to be cool; lacks some basic utilities”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stay here regularly for work. It tries very hard to be cool, so there was a weird steel object in my room, but nowhere to park my case flat (except by rearraging the sculpture and keeping case on the floor). My room was quite cold and the heating adjuster didn't work - important when it's -18 degrees celcius outside. The lamps are trendily dim, making it hard to work. On the plus side, staff are friendly, internet is free and the location is good (bus stops very close).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Thank you for your review after your stay at Scandic Vulkan.
I am happy to read your positive comments of our friendly staff, free internet and good location.

The temperature in the room should of course be able to regulate. We apologize for this not being the case.

We hope to see you back here in 2013. Until then, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Scandic Vulkan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Do not stay here on weekends if you have any desire for a restful stay! Am currently awake at 3am with the thumping music from the club next door and comings and goings of smoking club goers. Does not make a difference that the window is shut and I'm on an upper floor. It was like this last night as well, so my trip has been pretty much ruined for lack of sleep.
The rooms themselves are nicely decorated - although necessary maintenance is lacking. Unwashed stain on bed cover, burnt out light bulb, broken safe. Someone is definitely missing the details.
The breakfast buffet is great - great variety and plenty of food in a pleasant room. That was probably the best part of my stay. Unfortunately, though, it can't make up for the noisy, noisy location.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CoastieTraveller
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Thank you for choosing Scandic Vulkan when visiting Oslo and thank you for the feedback provided. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the room design.

Regarding the issues you experienced in your room and the disturbing music from the restaurant next door, we extend our sincere apologies for this. Though, I am happy we have already established contact with you directly via email so that this issue can be solved.

We hope to see you back at Scandic Vulkan within the near future.
Until then, I wish you a nice weekend.

Cyberflânerie
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stylish interior design, friendly and helpful staff, and nice amenities such as the gym and restaurant -- certainly a favorable first impression of Scandic hospitality.

My room was exceptionally clean and had a nice view towards the river. Wi-fi worked quite well in the room, although the access tended to require re-entering the login code on occasion. The only thing missing was a proper closet: there were two clothes hangers on a narrow bar beside the bathroom door, and it was fully exposed to the entry area -- not a great place to try to put a business suit.

The breakfast was very well prepared and I'm afraid I've now developed a taste for the mustard herring -- quite a treat!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
What a fantastic review, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am delighted to read how much you appreciated the Scandic Hospitality!

Please come again soon and taste our mustard herring.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 October 2012

First off, when I booked the room about two months prior to the stay, I sent a request for a early check-in. The request was not replied, and so I resent it a week prior to the stay. I told them that it was because of a wedding, and the reply I got was that I could show up and they would see if I could get a room. I understand that the check-in time is there for a reason, but I would have appriciated a yes or no answer. Considering that the request was sent two months in advance, they could have ensured that a room was made ready.
The room was nice and spacious, but somewhat cold. My room was located directly over the lobby facing a very buisy street. Considering that the "walls" facing the street were all glass, I would have appriciated better blinds and better lighting. Since "everybody" could look into the room (floor to ceiling) from outside, the need to have both blinds and curtains covering the windows to avoid feeling like I was in a storefront window, put a damper to the experience. Also, one of the windows were coverd in bird excrements. I could have asked to change rooms, but I was only staying for one night and was in a hurry to make it to the wedding, so I did not bother. Some of my familiy were staying at the hotel at the same time, and their rooms were located away from the buisy street and did not come with an audience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us.

As you write, it is difficult for us to promise an early check-in in advance since we do not know at what time other guests will be checking out. Though, we always try to meet our guests' request whenever possible.

Please, next time you visit us, ask for a room on a higher floor with.

Hope to see you soon!

Wirral
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I were here with the official England Fans trip for the Norway v England football match, though we kept ourselves to ourselves as much as possible.
Check in was very slow, because we were part of a large group.
Our room was perfectly good, though nothing exceptional. We wanted somewhere to rest and somewhere to store our stuff, and that's what we got.
The bar/restaurant downstairs was pretty good, and though expensive, it wasn't bad in Norwegian terms. Breakfast the next morning was perfectly good. I'm sorry that our stay in Oslo wasn't longer. We would consider staying here again, as it was good enough and reasonably central.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback after your stay with us at Scandic Vulkan.
We are happy to read that you appreciated our rooms and ecological breakfast.

We hope to see you and your wife soon again!

Almhult, Sweden
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a two day business trip. Arriving late in the evening, we were very pleased with a quick check in and a friendly recommendation for where to go to find food. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Great WiFi service as well. The location is walking distance to restaurants and shops. We had no trouble finding it and conveniently there is garage parking just across the street. This is a well decorated, hip hotel that isn't fancy, but has a good vibe. With a stylish breakfast room and great breakfast spread, it is easy to enjoy staying here. I will stay here again on my next visit to Oslo.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback after staying with us. I'm happy you like the vibe at Vulkan and appreciated both our staff, services and breakfast.

A warm welcome back soon again!

Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel seems to be a bit difficult to find on a car sat-nav. The formal address wasn’t recognized as we ended up at another street with exactly the same name. Once we phoned reception and asked for the cross street it was fine. Parked outside and unloaded, given a car park remote for the underground car par across the road. Check in no problem, up to my first room 515. It was one floor above the road – back down to ask for something quieter – no problem. I was given 525; I heard nothing even with the window open for fresh air all night. Room size was ok, bathroom was good size, shower good size and power, plenty of fresh well laundered towels, no shaving mirror just the usual big one above the wash-hand basin. TV was ok, some channels had English too. Great bed and bedding, very comfortable. Down for breakfast, good spread, plenty of tables, all nice quality. Check out no issues and another very friendly receptionist. Bar staff very friendly too. Everybody made the effort to be welcoming, all facilities good, and a definite “return to” hotel.

Room Tip: go for 525 which is 1 floor above reception