Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
PS:Hotell(Oslo)
  • Fitness centre
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsfood hallfood marketnice hotelbars and restaurantscity centreroom was a bit smallkarl johanamazing breakfastclose to the hotelair conditioncomfortable staybusiness tripmodern designmin walkthe room was nicewi fishort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2013

If you've ever spent a night at a Scandic Hotel before, you'll find yourself right at home here. In that, you'll know what to expect. This hotel may, with its modern exterior and boutique-inspired interior, deceive you into thinking that you ended up somewhere else. However, the over-crowded breakfast buffet, the lack of packaged beauty products, the questionable finish of the interior and the lack of a minibar will remind you of where you really are.

I advise you to stay away from the hotel restaurant as service is slow, selection is thin and atmosphere is non-existent. We had to wait 20 minutes to learn that the dish I ordered was out. Never happened to me before...usually the waiter should know straight away.

Locationwise the hotel is some distance from the central sights. The area around the Vulkan has not really evolved into the hip, youthful area that the hotel website brags about. I'm sure they will get there though.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you for your feedback after your stay with us. We appreciate your comments.
Scandic decided to remove the minibars due to become more environmental friendly but also to offer our guests a better service supply. In our SHOP and lobbybar, open 24/7, you can buy full-size products and fresh goods at all times.

We apologize for the unfortunately, not so positive experience at our restaurant. Of course, all dishes on the menu should be available.

It is correct that the area surrounding the hotel is still under somewhat construction, though the Food Court "Mathallen", Dansens Hus, Bar Vulkan, Døgnvill Restaurant, with many others, are already open.

We hope to see you back here another time.
Until then, have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stay here regularly for work. It tries very hard to be cool, so there was a weird steel object in my room, but nowhere to park my case flat (except by rearraging the sculpture and keeping case on the floor). My room was quite cold and the heating adjuster didn't work - important when it's -18 degrees celcius outside. The lamps are trendily dim, making it hard to work. On the plus side, staff are friendly, internet is free and the location is good (bus stops very close).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you for your review after your stay at Scandic Vulkan.
I am happy to read your positive comments of our friendly staff, free internet and good location.

The temperature in the room should of course be able to regulate. We apologize for this not being the case.

We hope to see you back here in 2013. Until then, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Do not stay here on weekends if you have any desire for a restful stay! Am currently awake at 3am with the thumping music from the club next door and comings and goings of smoking club goers. Does not make a difference that the window is shut and I'm on an upper floor. It was like this last night as well, so my trip has been pretty much ruined for lack of sleep.
The rooms themselves are nicely decorated - although necessary maintenance is lacking. Unwashed stain on bed cover, burnt out light bulb, broken safe. Someone is definitely missing the details.
The breakfast buffet is great - great variety and plenty of food in a pleasant room. That was probably the best part of my stay. Unfortunately, though, it can't make up for the noisy, noisy location.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CoastieTraveller
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Thank you for choosing Scandic Vulkan when visiting Oslo and thank you for the feedback provided. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the room design.

Regarding the issues you experienced in your room and the disturbing music from the restaurant next door, we extend our sincere apologies for this. Though, I am happy we have already established contact with you directly via email so that this issue can be solved.

We hope to see you back at Scandic Vulkan within the near future.
Until then, I wish you a nice weekend.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stylish interior design, friendly and helpful staff, and nice amenities such as the gym and restaurant -- certainly a favorable first impression of Scandic hospitality.

My room was exceptionally clean and had a nice view towards the river. Wi-fi worked quite well in the room, although the access tended to require re-entering the login code on occasion. The only thing missing was a proper closet: there were two clothes hangers on a narrow bar beside the bathroom door, and it was fully exposed to the entry area -- not a great place to try to put a business suit.

The breakfast was very well prepared and I'm afraid I've now developed a taste for the mustard herring -- quite a treat!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

What a fantastic review, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am delighted to read how much you appreciated the Scandic Hospitality!

Please come again soon and taste our mustard herring.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

First off, when I booked the room about two months prior to the stay, I sent a request for a early check-in. The request was not replied, and so I resent it a week prior to the stay. I told them that it was because of a wedding, and the reply I got was that I could show up and they would see if I could get a room. I understand that the check-in time is there for a reason, but I would have appriciated a yes or no answer. Considering that the request was sent two months in advance, they could have ensured that a room was made ready.
The room was nice and spacious, but somewhat cold. My room was located directly over the lobby facing a very buisy street. Considering that the "walls" facing the street were all glass, I would have appriciated better blinds and better lighting. Since "everybody" could look into the room (floor to ceiling) from outside, the need to have both blinds and curtains covering the windows to avoid feeling like I was in a storefront window, put a damper to the experience. Also, one of the windows were coverd in bird excrements. I could have asked to change rooms, but I was only staying for one night and was in a hurry to make it to the wedding, so I did not bother. Some of my familiy were staying at the hotel at the same time, and their rooms were located away from the buisy street and did not come with an audience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us.

As you write, it is difficult for us to promise an early check-in in advance since we do not know at what time other guests will be checking out. Though, we always try to meet our guests' request whenever possible.

Please, next time you visit us, ask for a room on a higher floor with.

Hope to see you soon!