“Cheap and centrally located hotel”

Thon Hotel Spectrum
Ranked #61 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap and centrally located hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It is cheap but good hotel located very close to the Central Station. Breakfast was excellent!
They did not changed the bedsheets of the bed even after I asked for it. The streets are very noisy at late night and you can hear it from your room. I could see and hear the brawls in the street below my window at the middle of the night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Stine N, General Manager at Thon Hotel Spectrum, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving a review for us on Tripadvisor, it is much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that your sheets were not changed and we will of course work to make our routines better so that this does not happen in the future.
We are working to make sure the streets become more quiet and peaceful at night. However, this is a long and time-consuming process.

We thank you again for your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Stine Nordhaug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Sicily, Italy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

There is usually no end to my bragging about Thon hotels, including budget ones. The standard, the breakfast, the service and the pricing and in the end the experience. However Thon Spectrum is not quite there, it feels more like a Best Western or a First Hotel and not really like a Thon. I hope this is not the direction Thon is going at all in all, I think its the best chain in Norway.
Why do I say this about Thon Spectrum? Because the standard in all areas is below what I expect from Thon. Worn down, breakfast is cramped and not up to the usual. No complimentary water bottle, even if I am supposed to get one. And basically every little aspect of the hotel is below Thon.
Still location is good, the price is good, so do not let me scare you. Just expect that you do not get the usual Thon experience.

Room Tip: Chose a different Thon hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the review, it is much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that the stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations.
We will take your feedback with us in our work to make the hotel better.
The water bottle should have been handed out to you upon arrival and we will make sure the front desk attendants do this in the future.

I am once again sorry that the stay did not meet your expectations!

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in June. In a weird location on the edge of the main city centre & a shabby residential area. The Politi (police) riot van parked on the street outside day & night concerned us somewhat..! Lots of bistros, bars, cafés & restaurants nearby & a mini supermarket at the end of the street, so plenty of choice!

I didn't understand why we had to pay 200K deposit upon arrival when we had to give credit card details to book. This wasn't helpful especially as we were already on a tight budget in an incredibly expensive city. It was however returned without question when we checked out.

The hotel itself was very much like a Travelodge - clean, simple, no frills. Hotel staff were friendly and their English top dollar. Breakfast was ok, a European style buffet of bread, meat & cheese mainly. Our room was small, comfortable & decorated well, suiting its purpose. A lot of outside noise was heard and we had a great view of a multi-storey car park..!

Would I go back? If I was on another budget trip yes. If I wanted a bit more comfort I would try the nearby Radisson which wasn't that much more expensive.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for leaving a review for us on Tripadvisor.

The deposit taken is to cover use of telephone, laundry or other services in case guests leave the hotel without checking out first. The deposit is returned upon check-out.

We are glad to hear that you were happy with the rooms and the staff at the hotel.

Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

hong kong
Reviewed 24 June 2014

When I arrived this hotel after staying at a paradise hotel in Bergen, I blamed my friend why she picked this one. However, after settled down I found this hotel is still ok with everything that I needed. The shower is hot and powerful. The floor of the bathroom is heated. The room has coffee maker though the sockets are all below the desk and the cord of the kettle is not long enough to reach. You have to put it on the floor to boil some water. The room is very clean so don't worry. Unfortunately, my room is facing the main street therefore quite noisy.
Breakfast is amazing!! Lots of seafood like salmon, shrimps etc plus some cold meats. They also have soft boiled eggs and hard boiled eggs.
If I come to Oslo again, I will consider to stay here again but I would definitely ask for a room away from the main street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving a review for us on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that the stay at Thon Hotel Spectrum exceeded the expectations you had upon arrival and that you had a pleasant stay. We are especially happy to hear that you were satisfied with our breakfast.

We will check the placement of the water heater to make sure it can reach the sockets from its position.

Thank you again for leaving a review for us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Close to the train station with a good, rich breakfast.
Room are all different in size. Most are very small with attached bathroom and water heater.
Rooms to the main street are quite noisy, the rooms to the inner side, quite but you can smell the kitchen and cigarette smoke in the early morning.
Overall modern and minimalistic design of rooms.

Unfortunately the TV has about 20 channels. 3 of them in English, no direct football channels which is a pity during the time of the world champion ship.

reception is like the interior, practical without loosing a lot of words.

All in all ist practical, but expensive for that what its offered. As I know only this hotel I can't compare the proces and performance.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inside are less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Great location. Great breakfast with a large variety of food. Smiley and helpful staff.
Rooms are a bit dated and simple but spacious. Clean and quiet. Very close to Folketeatret,the railway station and Oslo city.

Room Tip: Family room is bigger.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Kilkeel, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Because Oslo, and Norway in general, is so expensive, I decided to only look for budget hotels for our one-night stay in Oslo, and found Thon Hotel Spectrum. It was decent value, considering the location close to Oslo city centre, and central station; the room is more than big enough for a couple, and the breakfast was a buffet with plenty of hot and cold foods on offer - cooked breakfast, cereal, meats, yoghurts, breads, fruit, tea, coffee, water, fruit juices. The check-in experience was quick, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the shower did the job well. My only complaint was that during booking I clearly, and specifically asked for a room away from the main street below as I'd read reviews about the street being noisy with bars and restaurants in close proximity to the hotel. We sadly received a room directly above the main street, and sure enough, around midnight a fight broke out on the street below (and this was a Monday night - I'd hate to stay in that room on a Saturday night). Please, Thon Hotels, if a customer asks for a room away from the street, accommodate this customer, and provide the type of room they ask for - it's the simple things that make the difference. Having said that, I would recommend your hotel if anyone is staying in Oslo.

Room Tip: Please state clearly your desire to stay away from the main street. The hotel is next to bars and r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple