“Will ABSOLUTELY go back!!”
Review of Thon Hotel Opera

Thon Hotel Opera
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Madison, Wisconsin
“Will ABSOLUTELY go back!!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have lived in Norway in the past but on this trip had another family member with me so I wanted a few nights in Oslo to show off the city. This hotel is the best for that. There is no noise whatsoever from the train station that is right next door. It takes maybe two minutes at the most to get there once you walk out the door of the hotel. It's right across from the beautiful Opera House and it's central location makes walking trips up Karl Johans gate easy. You're close to bus and tram stops so getting to see things like the Folkemuseum and Frogner Park is so easy. I think because of it's location it would be a great hotel for business too. The breakfast was beyond compare, if you weren't full when you left that was your problem. I will stay here again when I'm back in Oslo, no more staying at the Quality Hotel by Gardermoen since the location makes taking the airport express train so easy!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the Thon Hotel Opera in Oslo. Our room - and that's my only point of criticism - had kind of an "used" look, e.g. furniture was slightly chipped. However, cleanliness was good, bathroom is pretty nice and big, the beds were comfortable and the bedding very good.
Breakfast (buffet style) was truly great - bacon, scambled eggs, omelette, different kind of fruits and yoghurts, pancakes, waffles, cold cuts, norwegian specialities (fish, special kind of cheese..), different kinds of bread (including gluten-free), smoothies, a great variety of coffee, and lots more.
Location is very good - right next to the central station and very close to the tracks of the airport express train (flytoget). The main shopping street (Karl-Johans-Gata) is also very close. We also enjoyed the proximity to the opera house, which in my opinion is impressive even for those who are not the biggest fans of modern architecture. But to experience this building and the changing light and reflexions at different points of the day was really remarkable.

Despite being so close to the central station and with quite a lot of construction work going on in this area, our room on the 6th floor was very quiet. Wifi is free and we had a very good signal in our room. The staff at reception were nice and helpful, they even did the online check-in for our return flight for us and printed our boarding passes.

We had a very good stay at the Thon Hotel Opera. The price certainly was no bargain, but that propably reflects the very high level of prices in Oslo in general. If you are looking for a good stay at a central location with great breakfast, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and got a reasonably good rate of 1990NOK including breakfast. As I checked in a gentleman next to me was paying 1700 for 1 night so that made me feel a bit better.

The hotel is located right next to the Central Train Station which is a 20 minute ride from the airport. Although the train appears to be expensive at 170NOK each it is a lot cheaper than a taxi. The reception area is very large and is on the 1st floor - although you enter the hotel on the 2nd floor! Checkin was fast and efficient. We were directed to our room on the 9th floor. The corridors of the hotel look very utilitarian and like something from a factory rather than a hotel. The room was VERY small - one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. But it had almost everything we needed.

Included in the room was a large TV with plenty of English speaking channels (throughout Oslo English is spoken by almost everyone and many have better English than native speakers!!). We had 2 single beds pushed together. On first look they appeared to only have a 3 inch mattress but the base was also sprung which made the bed very comfortable. The pillows were a loss to me though. I like firm pillows and the 2 on my bed were so soft that I needed to roll up a towel to act as a support. There was a mini fridge but unless you plan on selling your family into slavery I would suggest that you avoid it because of the cost.

The furniture was antique styled - although relatively new. There were lots of scratches on the woodwork, but given the small size of the room this is not surprising as it receives many knocks from suitcases. There is no SAFE in the room (they are available in reception) but this is a pity. We ended up carrying our passports with us around the city and hoped that the items remaining in the room were secure.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and white with towels and toiletries supplied.

The room was air conditioned and comfortable. The views from the 9th floor were excellent. There are extensive roadworks taking place at the front of the hotel where a new tram system is being installed. The roadworks were noisy and could be heard from various partes of the hotel but did not effect us on the 9th floor.

Breakfast was superb. I'm not one for eating breakfast normally but because the city is SO expensive (think €17 for a Big Mac meal or €10 for a small bottle of beer) we decided to get up and go for breakfast. The breakfast was a buffet but it was very impressive with hot and cold "everything".

The Wi-Fi was adequate with a speed of about 2 MBps.

I would recommend the hotel - there are many, many hotels in Oslo, but this one is ideally located and was a great base.

Room Tip: Although the rooms at the front of the hotel have a great view out over the fjord and over the new O...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room, and huge breakfast buffet, especially considering the price. Also, it was very convenient to the rail station and airport. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Ploiesti, Romania
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Been there for one night, in a single room, small, but comfy bed, slept perfectly. Quiet although next to the central station - which makes it great for those who come and go.
Great breakfast in the morning!
Very good wifi in the room.
Basically, for me, it was all that I wanted the the hotel delivered.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Opera only 1 night. Small, European style rooms. Basic bathroom and an average view. I would normally rate it as 3 stars, but the stellar service and great breakfast make up for the shortfall in accommodations. I would stay here again. Right next to the Central Station which was convenient for me since I flew out of Oslo airport. It take about 20 minutes to get to the airport.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed 23 August 2014

What a position. 100m from the train station, simple to wheel one,'s suitcase. Modern, bright with a super breakfast. As there is a lot of construction going on at the waters edge, it takes 10 mins to walk to the Opera house. When this is over it will take 2mins. to cross the new promenade.

Room Tip: appears to be no noise from the rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple