“Nice hotel very good location”
Review of Thon Hotel Cecil

Thon Hotel Cecil
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed one night in May. Found hotel without to much trouble. Parked in garage under hotel, this was booked in advance and cost extra. Staff was very friendly. Room small but fine and clean. Hotel is situated in the middle of central Oslo, only short walk from main street Karl Johan. No noise, quiet hotel. Breakfast buffet was very good, lots to choose from. You could even make your own waffle. Will stay here next time we go to Oslo. Very affordable hotel, good location, helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Karitofte!
Thank you very much for staying with us and your lovely review. Thon Hotel Cecil has a prime location in the middle of the city center. Most rooms are very quiet since they are facing our atrium where we serve breakfast buffet with a wide range of hot and cold dishes. We have special deals for the summer at our webpage. We are very much looking forward welcoming you back at Thon Hotel Cecil next time you are going to Oslo!

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Hotel in central Oslo within walking distance to main tourist attractions.
Rooms on the small side but clean and taken care of.
Breakfast excellent.
Free coffees available in the reception hall.
The room temperature was a little on the high side but we had a window which opened over the street so had no problems cooling down the room.
Nice 10 minute walk along the main pedestrian street runs from the bus / train stations to the hotel which saves a 20 euro, 2 minute taxi trip.
Staff all friendly and helpful.
I highly recommend the 'Thon Cecil Hotel' for a simple and enjoyable Oslo stay.
Check out their own web site for very good discounted offers.
A special thank you for the breakfast bag presented to us at checkout at 03:00 am which came in very handy throughout our long morning travel to and from the airport.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Martinlewisjo!
Thank you very much for staying with us for your weekend in Oslo. Thon Hotel Cecil has a prime location right in the middle of the city center just off the main street, Karl Johan, and next to the Parliament. Most of Oslos wide selection of restaurants, attractions, theatre and shopping is right outside our door.
You will always find our best rates at our website and special offers are also published here.
A tip is to go by the Airport Express Train to the Nationaltheatret which is about 300 meters from the hotel and is closer than the Central Station. When you get out of Nationaltheatret you follow the tramlines straight forward towards the Parliament and when in front of the Parliament you turn right and you will be at Thon Hotel Cecil.
Thank you very much for recommending us and we hope to welcome you back at Thon Hotel Cecil!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My experience with this hotel was largely positive from the start. The lobby was pleasant with comfortable seating and complimentary Nespresso and there were plenty of branded umbrellas for guest use. The receptionist was polite and patient (I got my credit card PIN wrong a few times, but no trace of annoyance from him!!).

I was pleased with the clean state of the room, and the bathroom was smallish but all a person needs. The shower door had a 50mm gap leaving a bit of water on the floor beside it, but we're not talking floods here. There was a shampoo/shower gel dispenser in the shower, which I love - think how grateful the environment must be for all the little half-used complimentary bottles that saves - and the water pressure was OK but nothing to write home about. The bed was a bit springy for my taste, but I didn't ask reception if they had anything harder - slept OK anyway, after a couple of beers!

Another umbrella was found in the room, although anyone hoping to check for rain with a glance out of the window would be disappointed - as other reviewers have observed, rooms generally look out over the covered atrium and offices opposite. Unlike others, I experienced no problems with the temperature in the room, so did not miss opening windows. The drawback with the view over the atrium was pointed out by a colleague who was woken by breakfast being set up around 6 am. I didn't notice this, sleeping as I did with earplugs as I had heard a faint trace of bassy music as I turned in around midnight - really distant, maybe coming from another guest's room, as I didn't notice a nightclub downstairs...

Breakfast was excellent - selection of Norwegian papers provided, the usual cooked selection, variety of breads and mini-patisserie, cold meats and cheese, fruit, yoghurt etc, and even a waffle iron for making your own waffles (which I did - delicious!).

In summary, I felt welcome on arrival and left clean, well-rested and very well fed!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear AdamskiLondon!
Thank you very much for staying with us while in Oslo. We appreciate your thorough and detailed review which gives a good picture of Thon Hotel Cecil. We are doing major renovation on the hotels ventilation system so much of the former feedback regarding ventilation and temperature has improved. We are happy that you enjoyed staying with us and welcome you back next time you are going to Oslo.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Close to most of what you are looking for in Oslo - including restaurants, sights, shopping, transportation and business area. Very helpful staff. Breakfast average. Ask for a room NOT facing Stortingsgata.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT facing Stortingsgata.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear SmilyBergen! Thank you very much for staying with us while in Oslo. Thon Hotel Cecil has a prime location just of Karl Johan, the main street, and next to the Parliament. Everything Oslo has to offer is just outside our doorsteps. Most of our rooms are facing towards our indoor atrium with a glass ceiling. We are looking forward welcoming you next time you are going to Oslo.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I can't remember how many times I've been here, but still am happy always to come here. The couple of last times I've visited Oslo I have had to take another hotel, but sure was happy to get here again.

The location is nice, close to Karl Johan and Akerbrygge. Plenty of restaurants at a close range. Also a movie theatre a couple of blocks away. I hope the warm weather would come soon and. I would get back there.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Travellinn77! WOW!!! Thank you very much for fantastic review and your loyalty. Your feedback warms of heats and we are truly appreciating it.
We are also hoping for sun and warmer weather so we can enjoy one of the many outdoor restaurants close by, enjoying delicious seafood with a chilled glass of wine at Aker Brygge and stroll along Tjuvholmen and visit the magnificent collection of contemporary art at Astrup Fearnley. Oslo is an exciting city all year around. We are just about to finish the ski season in the Norwegian capital. We are warmly welcoming you back next time you are travelling to Oslo.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Used Thon Cecil for one week on business, and the location is absolutely great - just at Stortinget, the ice skate rink - great.
Rooms are quite small, but cozy and does the job. My room (511) had a "view" to the roofed atrium, where breakfast is served. Looking straight, it is directly to the elevator, so I had to keep the "inner" curtains closed at all times to avoid curious looks - one down!
Breakfast is super great - the selection is fantastic and the quality good.
Free wi-fi - great. Free nespresso in the lobby - great! The staff was extremely service-minded, "going the extra mile", and really doing an effort to exceed expectations - one up!

Room Tip: Avoid 511 (I guess 411, 311 etc...) Direct view from elevator door to bed...!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank discokasper
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us while in Oslo. It is a great pleasure to read your feedback and I will pass it on to our fantastic team at Thon Hotel Cecil. I truly hope to welcome you back next time you are going to Oslo.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I must admit I'm a no expert on Norwegian Hotels but wow, what a shock!

This hotel ranks alongside UK HI Express.... My room was tiny (not like the one on the pic). The shower room was like a small cupboard and the bedding was non existant!

Perhaps this is it in Norway, but more of a basic hostel in my opinion. There isn't even a food outlet other than an open area for breakfast. No bar, nothing.

Room Tip: Don't expect western standards (alothough you're in the west!)... I've never seen the l...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Bil1965

Thank you very much for reviewing us after your stay. Thon Hotel Cecil is a bed and breakfast hotel with a prime location in Oslo. Facility wise we are a 3 star hotel but standard wise we are a 4 star hotel. In average the hotel standard all of Norway and Scandinavia is higher than the rest of Europe also for hotels within the same star category. Thon Hotels offer from 2 to 5 stars hotels in Oslo so I am sure you will find a hotel that suites you needs better.