“Superb value, excellent location, wonderful staff”
Review of Thon Hotel Astoria

Thon Hotel Astoria
Ranked #60 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

After a 15-hours flight and arriving at 7AM, the last thing you want is to wait till, say, 3pm to get your room- especially when the rest of the city is just waking up, and you have just arrived at a place so much colder than where you live! (That said, I completely understand that they are not required to give me a room.)

But we got our room. Yes, we did. No begging, no prolonged discussion, nothing. We just informed them in advance. (Thank you, Thon!)

Now this is a budget hotel- or at least it is listed as one- but the value is of 4-stars standard, easily! I am comparing against Singapore hotel standards. The room was near and clean, has sufficient space for us and our 2 huge luggage, and above all has windows (no window for Singapore budget hotels that I've stayed) which can be opened for fresh air! This might not seem extraordinary but as I've said, I'm comparing against Singapore hotel standards, and this is much appreciated.

The hair dryer in our room was faulty and it was promptly replaced.

My only gripe? The bed was too soft to my liking- I noticed the beds are all very soft in the hotels I have stayed in Norway.

This hotel has absolutely brilliant location! I chose this hotel mainly for its location.

It is a short walk from Oslo Central Station, where you will most likely arrive at if you have flown into Oslo and then taken a train from the airport to the city.

There were numerous buses and trams within 5 minutes' walk from the hotel, and you could walk to some attractions such as Oslo Opera House, Akershus Fortress, Nobel Peace Center, Grunerlokka, and the shopping district of Karl Johans Gate is just behind the hotel.

There are also a variety of food places around the hotel, ranging from fast food to cafe to restaurants. If you are going to get a pizza, order it from your room!

Staff are friendly and helpful too. Apart from our special check-in request, they have also helped by giving us local information such as nice food or how to get to a place.

We really like their breakfast spread. While the choices are not super (reminder: budget hotel) it was much more than what we expected since we only stayed 3 days. You can tell the food is of good quality too.

Overall, if location is your main concern and you want to stay within this area (Oslo Central Station a.k.a Oslo S), and you want value for your money, this should be at the top of your list.

Room Tip: 1. People with back problem and could not tolerate soft beds, you might want to check with the hotel...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Regi S

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Central location, very good price, polite and helpful staff plus buffet breakfrast thrown in too. I had a single en-suite room which had more than enough room for myself. What more could you want when exploring Oslo.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I booked 2 night in this hotel is near from the oslo central station and from the main street of oslo the karl johans gate where you can find everything from pub,shopping,bar,restaurant and so on , as for the price is good comparing with the high price in oslo, the room is clean and good the only negative thing is the bed it was really old it was really hard to sleep on hihihi the rest is all good! You can't find better in oslo with a low price....

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for the weekend and we were very happy about our desicion to stay in this hotel. The location is very good. It's about 7-10min from the main bus station, 1min from the centre of Oslo. The room was small, but comfortable and very cozy, a small bathroom with heated floors was very nice. :) Breakfast, stuff and internet were great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Following a family tragedy we had to postpone a trip to Oslo.This hotel refused to transfer our 5 prepaid days to another date-the only one of 8 hotels,2 cruise companies & 2 airlines to do so.Contractually of-course they were quite within their rights to keep the NKR5000 but the 12 other companies have kept our business while Thon will not.

PETER & VAL HARVEY

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a hotel for one or max. two nights. Fine breakfast buffet, friendly staff and very central location. Not much fuss, but I didn't need that either. If you visit Oslo for a romantic weekend, I'd find a more suitable hotel than this. But for the individual traveler or a short stay, this is recommendable.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Taking the price into considderation, I suppose this hotel is OK, but it is definately not more than that. The lobby made me seriously worried when I walked in. Rooms are perfectly fine, though and spotlessly clean with heated bathroom floors <3. But the internet is so bad even writing this review is a bit of a project, not to mention making a Skype call.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business