“Take another option”

Thon Hotel Vika Atrium
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The Thon Hotel Vika Atrium in Oslo is a Hotel where you should consider other options. A gib one, also sometimes a cheap one. But it is very old, the climate control is centrally stired and everything elso is also not very good. So you will find better choices and maybe spending 5% to 10% more money will give you an excellent one.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Christina A, General Manager at Thon Hotel Vika Atrium, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear guest! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! After reading you review I understand that you are not to pleased with the hotel. I am sorry if we did not succeed with making you feel welcome! We try our best to give our guest i pleasant stay! I hope that you will find another Thon Hotel is Oslo that meets your needs. And for you next trip to Oslo I recomend our Thon Hotel Opera in the middle of the city center. Welcome back to Thon Hotels!

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We were a group of friends staying at Vika Atrium for a concert in Oslo this past summer. Some of us have experience with the hotel before, which was the reason we chose this hotel again.
Once again we were very happy with our stay. Very helpful staff in the reception, Clean, roomy and bright rooms. Some of the bathrooms are a little small, but not so it is a problem at all. Rooms included toiletteries, bathrobes and slippers, which is always a nice touch.
I should also mention that the location is absolutely perfect both for tourists and business travelers.
I will easily choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Christina A, Manager at Thon Hotel Vika Atrium, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear ToneBeate! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay and that our staff were helpful! I also hope that you enjoyed your concert and Oslo citylife! Hope to see you again! Welcome!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a hotel central in Oslo with smiling staff. Short walk to all the night life at Aker brygge and the center of Oslo. The prices are not bad for a room and the breakfast is good. No restaurante for lunch or dinner, so you stay here for the room only. Staff are nice and helpful and the rooms are average and clean.

Room Tip: Book a room where you can open the window. Some rooms are facing the "atrium" with no chan...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Christina A, General Manager at Thon Hotel Vika Atrium, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Kjell Magne N!
Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about your stay here at Thon Hotel Vika Atrium! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff made you feel welcome!
Hope to see you againg - welcome back to Thon Hotels and Thon Hotel Vika Atrium!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I tried to reserve a room via email, as it turned out on my check-in-day the reservation wasn't made by the personnel, so I wanted to check my email account. The one pc next to the reception did not work, so I asked the Swedish receptionist whether there is another pc where I could check my email to show her my reservation. She said there is not (which I cannot believe in a conference hotel!) and she said she just can go to google and no other websites on her reception pc - so I had the feeling she just wanted to get rid of me - all her appearance was just arrogant. Luckily, I had my email account at google, so I could check the mail and could show her that I tried to get a reservation via email, and that her colleague first replied with that they have rooms available and that she just needs my personal data. So I sent her these and I thought with this the reservation is made, but as it turned out it was not, she just seemed to have skipped my reservation wish.
So the woman at the reception said I have no reservation, but that they have rooms available, but she offered me one that was more expensive than the original price, so I had to cancel all my Oslo plans.
I never met so arrogant and unfriendly personnel - Thon Hotel - never again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Although, there are no major problems, this hotel does not currently come up to the standard and quality that Thon hotels would claim they achieve. The hotel is is need of a major refurbishment. The wholer carpet on the entire length of the floor I sayed on (second)floor is not only old and dirty but is covered in an almost continuous successionb of stains that simply cannot be removed by daily vacuuming. It looks pretty disgusting and needs to be replaced - urgently. Likewise the shower smelt either because of a problem of the drains or simply that it is now past its "due date". The electrics need updating, and inadequate drawers to put your clothes. No dirty laundry bag provided..

Three other things to note about the hotel, which they don;t tell you.

Firstly, the etrance doesn;lt relaly look like a hotel: it is, indeed, the whole hotel conveys the impression that it is is really a sort of "annex" to a side of a conference centre.

Secondly, and relatedly,, there is no place at the front of the hotel for taxis to drive up to(either covred or uncoverd). When you order a taxi, it waits in the roadway; and in snowy wreather - as when I was staying there - this means you have to clamber oon and over piled up snow to reach the car.

Thirdly, after checking in and you go to the lifts, you immediastely read a notice on the lift wall which tells you that there is building work going on and that you will be didsturbed early in the morning - from an hour around 7 am and ithen again n the early evening. It would have been far more honest if Thon Hotels told you all this BEFORE you booked - i.e. on their web-site.

That said, the "basics" are ok: commfortable bed, good desk, warm rooms, fridge in the room that worked, free wifi that worked, a safe in the room that worked, a secure left-luggage room, friendly staff and an adequate (though not inspiring) breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NoniRubin
Reviewed 5 December 2011

A convenient hotel for Aker Bridge and offices in this area. Also there are restaurants across the road, mind you there needs to be because there is not one in the hotel. The room was small but functional with free internet. The bed was reasonably comfortable but a little soft for my tastes. The main problem was noise; my room overlooked some common ground between blocks where people seem to walk barking dogs at 1130pm. Now this is not the hotel's fault but at 0655 the wonderful sound of drilling or some sort of engineering works helped to wake me in the most pleasant way. I was not aware that refurbishment was taking place and certainly not impressed to have at that time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkUnitedKingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights.

Perfect location if you plan to use Aker Brygge as base for exploring Oslo.
Nice and friendly staff. Excellent breakfast.
There is free wireless Internet connection available.
Comfortable bed.
Quiet. No noise from the outside or neighbouring rooms.

Now for the bad stuff:
I have used this hotel on multiple trips to Oslo, and I'm sad to say it get worse every time.
The room was ok, but not spotless. Sheet and towels had stains.
The bathroom was small and dark. Only 3 small spotlights in the ceiling.
The hotel looks a little "tired"/"worn" and is in need of refurbishment
Heating regulation did not work and the cover was loose.
Wall panels had fallen down.

I paid about NOK 600/night. For that price it's an ok hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo