“Excellent Location and Excellent Staff”
Review of Scandic Solli

Scandic Solli
Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Windsor, Canada
“Excellent Location and Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I visited Oslo and needed a hotel very near to the train station for further travel in Norway. Once I left my bags in the hotel I found it also very near to the city center. At the same time the hotel was very affordable. The hotel rooms are average compared to other places in Europe, but the hotel staff is more than excellent and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Magne J, General Manager at Scandic Solli, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hi!

Thank you for your review of Scandic KNA. Means alot to us!

We are very happy to read your kind words of our belowed hotel.

Hopefully you will visit us again!

General Manager Scandic KNA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I was on business in Oslo last week and I stayed at the KNA for the first time. One of my colleagues had stayed in an unrenovated room previously and he recommended requesting a renovated room upon booking. This review is kind of split because I havent seen the older rooms so my opinion is based on the newer section of the building.

Location : Perfect, very central and only a 5 minute walk from the harbour front restaurants. the business district is accessibly by foot and I'm not sure about shopping as I didn't do any.

Breakfast : Fantastic spread. I opt for a light musily based breakfast when I'm travelling on business and there were plenty of option s for me as well as fresh fruit. My colleagues opted for fried food, cheeses and the selection was very good.

Cleanliness/room : I stayed on the 5th floor in a newly renovated room. Walking from the elevator to my room it was evident what the old building looked like. 90's carpet and old door card swipes. Very standard. As soon as I reached my hallway it was clearly renovated with new door fobs, carpet. My room was spotless and serviced every day of my stay. To be honest I was questioning if I was the first guest to stay in my room. I was impressed by the HD flatscreen that was actually hooked up to a HD connection. I wasn't impressed that there was little room to hang clothes but I was solo so it was adequate. One additional observation - no kettle!

Noise : My room was perfectly quiet. Only a slight bit of expected city ambience. My room overlooked a small park and there were trees directly outside which was nice. On thursday night I should hear a nightclub/bar bass echoing across the park but this was fixed by drawing the heavy ceiling high curtain.

Bottom line : This is a great hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful to myself and by colleagues. It was clean, had good food and was very central as we travelled by train from the airport and it was located quickly.

Tips : Ask for a renovated room. Try to get a room overlooking the park (quieter and a better view). You just need to enter your phone number and surname for the wifi so no need to go to reception. when you arrive at your room and you want to enter the card to power up the room make sure you really push the card in (its a bit stiff) or you'll waste 10 minutes like myself (and my colleagues) trying to figure it out. One final point - I couldn't find the direct number for the hotel reception in my room. If you want to schedule an alarm call you need to do it at reception in person.

Room Tip: Tips : Ask for a renovated room. Try to get a room overlooking the park (quieter and a better view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bfitzsimons
Thanks alot for a fantastic review!

Very solid, nice pictures even.

You are right, renovated rooms are the best, luckily we now (11.09) have 130 renovated room, most of the "old" rooms now are balcony rooms - so all guests should get good room!

You are very welcome baco to us!

General Manager Scandic KNA
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2013

arrived on Saturday 3.08 before the 3 o'clock check in . easy to find,location seems great. room is available and now the fun stars.lack of any information at the reception ,had to ask for every single bit .presented with outworn , smelly room .went back to the receptionist - he promptly organised different room ."slightly smaller " as promised turned out to be a single room. went back again- as i would expect to get what im paying for-simple double room - i got the keys to yet another room - surprise again. i got the twin . another round down i only requested to make up my single room as a double .extra pillow, towel - seems too much to handle . got the impression that the gentleman simply doesn't like me.everything seemed to be a problem. great attitude while working in hospitality ! for our surprise the young man working on sunday evening is the best asset of the hotel. we approached the reception to ask for an extra blanket to our room-we didn't get it - straight away we got our proper room! no questions asked,big smile. other than our small issue - nice location , lucky enough to wake up before the noise , beautiful breakfast,good size and the new rooms are really cosy !

Room Tip: there is few rooms with small balcony facing the fiords -try to get it.little treat :]
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank agata83
Magne J, General Manager at Scandic Solli, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Hi,

Have to agree alot with you, this is not good enough. Very nice of you to praise the other parts of your stay. You can be sure there will be taken steps to make sure that you nor any other guests will meet this kind of service.

Hopefully you will come back to us!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We were two adults and two children staying for three nights. Unfortunately, unbearable noise from the ongoing construction work made the stay too unplesant. The intense sound started at 8.00, and they did not finish before 6 pm, which made it impossible to use the room in this time period. The whole hotel was marked by this renovation, also the lobby, the bar and the restaurant. The room was modern, spacious and clean. The staff was polite and nice, my kids recieved a suprise-packet on arrival and was very happy about that. The hotel is located in a safe, quiet area of Oslo, easy to reach by bus or tram. A grocerystore nearby (Kiwi) is very convenient. Hadn't it been for the construction work, the hotel would have been ok, but compared with other hotels we have used in Oslo, we will not chose this hotel next time.

Hello!

Thank you for your review, and your kindness regarding our staff and the room you had.

Still, im very sorry about the noise. This year vi have five periodes of about two weeks when it is noisy. You hit periode number three. Now we only have one left. And most of the rooms are new now.

Sarpsborg, Norway
Reviewed 22 July 2013

When we first arrived at 12 to say we wanted parking and check in at 14:00, the receptionist said fine, but our room was still half an hour late. Anyway, we got free parking, coffe and late check out - so the receptionist did all in his power to keep us happy and it worked.

There is major scale construction there, and the management has done a poor job hiding ongoing projects, like the former bar where you can see a completely torn down room with no people working there and no curtains or any thing to hide it. Also the basement parking is incredibly dirty and would benefit from a cleaning. There was a few things like the ice maker on the 6th floor did not work, but the receptionists (again doing an awesome job) just brought us some when asked.

The breakfast was the most disappointing here. It was rubbish. Shoe-sole bacon, sloppy eggs and in general foul tasting food.

The hotel is incredibly average. If you just need a bed, you`ll get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for your review, and thumbs up for our staff, much appreciated.

We are sorry that some parts of the hotel havent appeared good enough this periode. The bar was like that for a few days, but of course youre right , it should have been hidden better.

The garage is being cleaned alot, but as you probably understand we deliver all the new stuff for our rooms through the garage, thereby it can look a bit bad - we are sorry.

When it comes to the breakfast this surprises me as the breakfast is what rankes highest everey month at this hotel. The bacon should of course not be like that, neither the eggs - I can assure you that you were unlucky this day.

I can also assure you that me, and the rest of our management are doing our very best.

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We had an unrenovated room which was acceptable. It was a bit worn, but thats why they are renovating! When it is completed, I expect it will be great. The breakfast included organic items and a great hot plate to make your own pancakes! Location is convenient with the tram within a couple of blocks, and not far from the wharf where the ferries to the museum depart. Only downside (though the same probably applies to all hotels in Oslo) is the lack of available parking for larger vehicles such as a regular van. Would be helpful if they could provide a location of where long term outdoor parking was available or ability to purchase a local residence visitor parking permit like they have in Bergen. Appeared there may have been one near the wharfs. We ended up getting a parking ticket which was NOK 300 + 75 admin to pay at the post office. Given that parking at the hotel would've been about $260, it wasn't too bad. Overall, happy with the stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi!

Thanks alot for your nice review.

Our garage can manage cars up to VW Caravelle, but yours is maybe bigger. Im sorry. Hopefully we will see you sometime again.

Bærums Verk
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Perfect location downtown Oslo, but yet a quiet area. Service at the reception desk and restaurant was excellent. The staff was very friendly, serviceminded and eager to help. We had a new room with a nice view of the small park behind the hotel. Breakfast was very good. When the renovation is finished it will probably be one the best hotell to stay at in Oslo. But even now, its a very good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new building.
1 Thank Dag Henning K
Magne J, General Manager at Scandic Solli, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Hi!

Thanx alot for you very kind review! We work hard to be loved by our guests and we are very happy when we manage.

You are very welcome back to us!

Scandic KNA