“Don't be fooled by fancy words”

Thon Hotel Gyldenlove
Ranked #61 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We all know "minmalistic" is fancy word for "small rooms and little inventory". "Urban modern" the same, just a fancy word for stuff that isn't so great.

But, Sergej at the reception desk was a very service-minded chap with a friendly attitude. He asked a bit too much about the Thon Hotel member thing which was a bit awkward. Room was one of the smallest I've experienced, but the bed was comfortable - as most is in Scandinavia. Odd thing putting the sink inside the room like some kind of British B&B thing. Most likely got more to do with lack of space rather than "progressive design" or whatever fancy word you may put on it. The room showed some sign of wear and tear, but as with most Nordic hotels - very clean. Nothing on the walls, just white. I told my wife it felt a bit like a prison cell, only that we could leave when we wanted too. Wi-fi came and went on my tablet. Close to useless, but it did work. Jolly good for that.

But, the warm welcome made up for some of the oddities, and the breakfast was very nice indeed. Price was a bit steep for such a "minmalistic" room, but this is Oslo after all, where you pay 40 NOK for a Mountain Dew at some of the neighbouring shops. Shocking.

Majorstuen is a nice little area of Oslo, if you want something else than the city center (with all its flaws) come here instead - but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay at our hotel. We are happy to see that especially our staff met all your expectations and could contribute to a pleasant stay for you, even though you did not like the design of the room too much. It is very nice to read that you had a good night sleep and enjoyed the breakfast in the morning as much as the cleanness of the room in total.
We hope to be able to welcoming you again at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at the 'Golden Lion', for a couple of nights on business,and I had a thoroughly pleasant stay Iv'e stayed in Thon 'City' hotels before so I was aware how small 'normal' rooms can be, so I went for the Superior room. The Superior room was still quite small, but well appointed, clean and very functional. Kind of weird having the sink in the main room and not the bathroom, odd, but it worked. There's isn't a restaurant on site, but there's a shop next door that sells drinks, sandwiches and hot snacks. I think you can get Room Service though using a nearby Pizza chain ( I had a menu in my room) The hotel does provide a very good breakfast though, and there is also free coffee and fruit throughout the day in reception. All in all, I found this to be a very nice hotel, very clean, very helpful staff and located in a great area of Oslo. There is though quite a lot of roadworks taking place outside the hotel, and they did start digging up the road very early. But I'd happily stay here again, I'd just make sure I was in a Superior room.

Room Tip: Small rooms are very small, noise from roadworks is loader on the front and side facing rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve with us and others! We are very happy that you hade a nice stay with us in one of our Superior rooms!
Your kind words about the team are very much appriciated and the staff in housekeeping, breakfast and the reception send their thank you!
Regarding the reconstruction of the pavement we are looking forward to the prosject being finshed in a relativly short time and being able to present a new and modern road Bogstadveien to you. Thanks again for your stay and welcome back to Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The hotel gives off an online impression of being modern and so in time. I ordered a "superior" room, which would have robes and slippers included. I thought the term "superior" used to mean something. But no. The room was plain. Small TV, ok bed, small desk. Very small mini-bar. The sink was in the room and the shower was the smallest room created in mans memory. The toilet had to share space with the shower, as a result - the whole bath got wet during one shower.
It felt simple. It did not feel superior.
As I told the receptionist, all he said it was urban modern. If it is urban modern to have cheap small rooms, you are my guest. I am not any more.
I will not recomend this hotel to anyone.
Besides, the street outside the hotel is an open work site.
I give it 2 stars due to good internet.
Should you stay or go away: Go away!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Einar Alfred Ve... H
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear guest,

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, due to the fact that your expectations to the booked superior room where not met. That is a pity.

In our presentation of our hotel and the room categories we inform about what our guests can expect of our different room types. We inform about our minimalistic, Scandinavian design and the bathroom solution which is a little outside the ordinary, with glass or frosted glass and the wash basin placed in the living room, designed to create light and a sense of space.

The superior room is presented as "A comfortable room with extra chair, sofa and space for relaxing or work. Private bathroom, with shower, hairdryer and toiletries. Phone, mini-bar, and flat screen TV with a variety of channels, as well as movies, and free wireless internet access. In addition to our standard amenities, we also include; a richer selections of toiletries, travelers magazine and bathrobe and slippers." It is a pity that you expected a big minibar, a big flat screen TV and a large bathroom, none of that is promised by our presentation of our rooms.

We will take your feedback with us anyhow and are happy the internet connection helped to make your stay a bit more comfortable. The construction of the pavement opposite to the hotel will be finished in a matter of days and we are looking forward to present the new Bogstadveien bit by bit.

My team and I thank you for your feedback and review and we hope you can reevaluate your opinion about our hotel and we would be happy to welcoming you again as our guest!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I usually do not stay in hotels in Oslo that often, but when I do - I stay at one of the Thon Hotels.

This one is a simple, but quite nice hotel - it is located in Bogstadveien, so if you are looking for some good shopping, this area have quite a pick. Nothing luxurious, the room was standard size, the bed was surprisingly good and a nice bath.

I did not have time for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve with us and others! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and due to both location and a good bed with a good night sleep!
We hope you visit Oslo soon again and are looking forward to welcoming you at Thon Hotels!

Best regard,

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I have visited this hotel several times, both in connection with work and girls-weekend in Oslo. (Zara is next door and good for shopping in Bogstadveien) The single rooms are very small, but new and nice. Good breakfast. A very good 3 to 4 stars hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear guest,

the whole team of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve says thank you for your very kind review! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcoming you again soon i Oslo and at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Sparseness of the reception area may put you off but the rooms are very nice, comfortable beds, extremely clean and good value for money when you consider how expensive Oslo can be. There is no bar or restaurant, apart from breakfast room which is very good, but there are plenty of local bars and restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Broker bar within 50m worth a visit.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review about being guest at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay thanks to comfort, cleanness, service and breakfast! We hope you had a nice stay in Oslo and are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights on a business trip and it was quite pleasant. The room was nice and clean, of minimal design and practical. It was quiet inside/outside (I asked for a room at the back and on a high floor because of the constructions on the high street and they happily offered one which also had a nice view outside). The breakfast was generous for all habits (English, French, continental, Scandinavian plus fruits, smoothies etc, all available from a buffet). The hotel staff was helpful and polite. I took the express from the airport to the National Theater and from there the metro to Majorstuen station. From that station it is a 5-10 minutes walk straight line on a shopping high street.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank arisath
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve with us and others! We are happy to read that you had 4 nice days at our hotel and that we did manage to meet all your expectations thus that you can write such a nice review! The whole team says thank you! And we hope to seeing you soon again in Oslo and at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve - welcome back!

Susanne Petzold - General Manager