“Good value hotel”

Thon Hotel Gyldenlove
Ranked #60 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here for three nights in July 2014--we had a 'large' corner room (not too big, not too small) and the place was very clean. Staff was really, really, nice. They do not have air conditioning or fans, which normally wouldn't be an issue but it was HOT while we were there. Breakfast was good, the price was right, and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at Thon Hotel Glydenløve due to cleanness, service, a good breakfast and the location! We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

It is located in oslo shopping street ,close to majortuen metro and tram.Room is small like you stay as Ibis hotel and clean It is budget hotel as well. Excellent breakfast.. reasonable price.But I have some problem cuz It is no have air conditioner,Anyway,I asked my norwegian friend and he told me that It is common to no have air conditioner in oslo hotel.Room service and staff is nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear guest,
thank you for your kind review! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again one day in Oslo and at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Best regards

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel is well located near Vigeland Park. The breakfast included in the fees are gargantuous so take advantage of this as the food in Oslo is quite expensive. Only bad comment I do have about the hotel is the bed. Even though comfy, the bed was very soft. If you are used to a harder bed you might have trouble sleeping. Staff is competent and friendly. Would recommend this hotel for a stay in Oslo.

Room Tip: I took the smallest room which includes a small table... There is not a lot of space to walk around...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your nice feedback on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy that you enjoyed yourselv and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Thon Hotel Gyldenløve is located in Bogstadveien, one of the main shopping areas in Oslo. It is just behind the Royal Palace, and within walking distance from the city center. It is not a 5 star hotel; the rooms are small, the service ok, and the breakfast buffet excellent. The personnell smiling and helpful. Everything is ok, but not outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SveinMilford
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Svein,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience of being our guest with us and others. We are happy to see that you hade a nice stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you back at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Nice materials and colors in the room, but extremely small. Room and bathroom together was about the same size as a regular walk-in-closet. The space between the desk and the bed was so small so it was hardly possible to use the desk at all - instead I had to sit with the laptop in the bed to do some work. Stains on the curtains. A plus though for a good breakfast buffet and for being nice and calm in the night - slept very well.

Room Tip: Don't choose the smallest single rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy to see that you had a good night sleep at our hotel and enjoyed the rich breakfast buffet. Thon Hotel Gyldenløve has seven different room categories, so feel free to choose another room type for your next stay. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, but there are a few quirks that may annoy American travelers. You need you room key to turn on the electricity, so if you leave you can't recharge computers or other electronic equipment. There also is a three inch drop between the room and the bathroom, which caused us to trip going in and stub our toes going out. Also, breakfast on the weekends doesn't start until quite late, so early risers are out of luck. They also did not have double beds available. On the plus side, the staff is extremely helpful and the rooms are spotless. The hotel is also conveniently located on public transportation, although we ended up walking everywhere down the main thoroughfares.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear guest,
thank you for your review on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy to read that you enjoyed being our guest! Our hotel is certified as an Eco-Lighthouse, thus we try to reduce our impact on the environment when it comes to energy, waste, chemicals and water - as many other hotels do both in Norway and other countries.
With regards to the breakfast time, we serve breakfast in weekends from 8am to noon, since most guest like to enjoy a late service. However, we do offer "breakfast to go" for those how departure earlier. Feel free to contact reception the day before departure and we will prepare such a package for you.
Regarding our room categories and beds please visit our homepage to get all details about our seven room types. All our rooms have double beds, and none has twin beds.
We are happy that the location, cleanness and service of our staff could contribute to a nice stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve. Welcome back!

Best regard,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I reserved a night for myself and a friend as a treat in the midst if my finals, I needed a break from my home. This hotel is located on Majorstua, one of the nicest Places in Oslo. It's in the middle of the good shopping street Bogstadveien, with all that your heart can crave just outside the door.

I got a room on the 8th floor and that gave me a little view -and facng away from the main street, so I wasn't bothered by the noise from the clubs and reastaurants at night.

I had a double room, but was not impressed by the design of the room. The first thing that met me when opening the door was a sink. Yep. Washing hands right away is celarly important ;) The bathroom was tiny, and I could barely fit my feet when sitting down. The shower was ok, but a little more pressure would be nice. A desk and a double bed was at the other side of the room. A big closet with a Mirror on it was also there.

The design of the room was not good. I think that the sink belongs inside the bathroom, not outside. A few changes could be done there. My friend had a single room, and there were Windows in the shower. What is the point?? If being two people there, I woudl certainly mind someone being able to see me take a shower. Another poorly design.
I had some stains on the curtains. Don't know what it was, but it doesen't look good... And the floor could absolutely do with a little freshing up.

Otherwise, the bed was SO comfy!! And the pillows... I wanted to take them home :) I have stayed in other Thon Hotels as well, and they do know how to make me sleep well. So thumbs up for the bed! :)

All in all a very nice hotel, location is wonderful, and the city is at your feet just outside the door. The breakfast was good as well, different meats, cheese, Fish, bread and warm dishes. A bit crowded breakfast room, but there's room for everyone :)

Room Tip: This street isn't to noisy, but there is a bit traffic and the tram goes just outside. If you do...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve and the description as "a central gem"! It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay thanks to a good night sleep in the "comfy" bed, the good breakfast and location of our hotel. When it comes to the design of the room it is a pity that it was not according to your taste. I can assure you that all rooms for two or more persons have a frosted glass between the sink and shower, so you will have the needed privacy and can rather make use of the surprising functionality.
My team and I thank you again for your visit and nice feedback and we hope to welcome you soon again!