“Stylish hotel”

Ranked #15 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Moscow
“Stylish hotel”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We spent one night in June 2012 at Carlton Hotel Guldsmeden. It is a very stylish hotel: instead of a TV you have Mac, the bed is decorated with a canopy, shampoo and soap are very special – kind of natural products. The breakfast is decent, the rooms are clean. Still, the rooms are way too small for the hotel to be ranked at its highest. Location is ok, on a quiet street, but a bit out of center and Central Station.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I loved the interior decoration, even if the i-screen was in a bit of an awkward place. The "spa" was not really what I had expected (partly not functioning), but who cares? The staff was very friendly and prepared a cold platter for me when it was obvious I didn't really want to go out in a search of a restaurant. The breakfast was first rate. I surely recommend the hotel to those who want something a bit different.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Woodhull,IL
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We were welcomed by Maria and she was very helpful about parking. She even walked outside to show me where the free street parking was located! Our room was small. The only problem was where to put the suitcases. We moved some things around and got it worked out. We enjoyed having the different shampoo and conditioner which many places don't offer. This was our second Guldmeden Hotel (Copenhagen was our first.) and we were not disappointed. The neighborhood was quiet but not far from the sights of town. There was public transportation close by as well. After a half day of sightseeing, we did not want to go out for supper. My husband was coming down with a cold, so we asked about a close pizza place. Maria recommended one and it was only a couple of blocks. She also showed us their sauna rooms and told us how they worked. It was included with the room. We then took a sauna. It was very relaxing and there was cold drinking water available in the sauna area. The beds were probably the best on our trip. They were very comfortable. The next day we had a very long sightseeing day. When we returned in the evening, my husband wanted some hot tea. (There is tea and coffee available in the dining area.) We knew the owners of the hotel were coming and when a woman introduced herself I asked if she was the owner. She was and tried to shake my husband's hand. He told her he had a cold and didn't want her to get it. She was very concerned and said he needed a glass of red wine to help him. She had us sit and brought us each a glass of wine. She was very, very, nice and we chatted for several minutes, finding many things in common. I truly felt like a guest at a home. Back to the review...The breakfast was a typical Scandinavian breakfast: breads, cheese, yogurt, granola and many dried fruits, boiled eggs, meats and vegetables, jams, bacon, juices, and fruit. I felt the selection was very high quality. The Mac on the wall was cool. I am a pc person, so it was harder for me to navigate, but the wifi also worked with my devices. I am older, so I had to be closer to the screen. My husband could see better than I and could be on the bed and read it. The bathroom was fine with lovely towels. I do agree with the shower design mentioned by others. Have an extra towel to mop the floor because the water does splash everywhere. Overall, I feel this chain is a good choice. I really liked their atmosphere and helpfulness. The focus on a comfortable bed is also good. It was a very clean hotel as well. I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lakewood, Washington, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We found the room to be a bit awkwardly designed. The two major flaws are that 1) it's difficult to control the mac without sitting on the bed with the tray in your lap (and the keyboard is European, which is configured differently than a USA keyboard) and 2) the open shower with no door resulted in water covering nearly all of the bathroom floor. No alarm clocks, as was the case in all of the hotels we stayed at in Scandinavia. Positives: the rooms are nicely decorated and come with nice quality soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and hair dryer. It is located on a quiet residential street with a very unassuming entrance, and is very close to the waterfront and the palace. The breakfast was typical scandinavian and there is no bar or restaurant on site.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Splitshot12
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

A nice little hotel with small clean rooms,peaceful location ,wi fi, great breakfast and comfortable beds.
Close to the Harbor with lots restaurants and airport train

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Paris, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Located in a quiet neighborhood this stylish hotel features nordic themes, comfy beds, Apple computers, and chair pillows covered with reindeer hides. Walking a few blocks in one direction brings you to the busy Oslo harbor, with its numerous restaurants, the Nobel Museum and other attractions. A few blocks in the other direction brings you Henrik Ibsen Gate (Boulevard) with more restaurants, shops, the subway and the great playwright's home. The English-speaking staff is friendly, helpful and considerate, and the breakfasts are fresh, flavorful and abundant. A super hotel that was a highlight of our time in Oslo.

Room Tip: We stayed on a high floor where we could see above nearby buildings - great for watching the light f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane T
Cambridge
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Having stayed at the very good sister hotel in Copenhagen, I had high hopes for this hotel which to its credit has a number of pluses. The location is a little unprepossessing, at the quiet end of Parkveirein, yet is merely a 0.5km walk downhill from the Nationaltheateret metro station which is itself only 35' by airport train. It takes just 10' minutes to walk to the varied and lively harbourside restaurants. Staff are friendly. Organic breakfasts are good. The iMac system is fine. But the hotel does have a couple of niggling flaws. The rooms are just a little too small: the number of times my shoulder caught the said iMac as I walked past the end of the bed...And then, the ridiculous bathroom. First, the small vanity basin, small enough to allow the forceful tapwater to slosh over the floor but big enough to 'intrude' into the toilet zone. And the stupidity of the hotel designer to create a wet room with just a flimsy shower curtain in the smallest of spaces. Everything gets soaked, at the bottom as water escapes across the floor, and up above as the leaking showerhead sprays water in all directions.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business