“Old World Elegance and Comfort”

Hotel Continental Oslo
Ranked #1 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Extremely comfortable beds. Great bathroom with all amenities.
There was an interesting showcase window between the bedroom and bathroom.
Wonderful buffet breakfast. Famous old cafe.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheryljean
Write a ReviewReviews (1,635)

Reviewed 7 July 2012

This may be the most prestigious hotel in Oslo but it is hardly a luxurious hotel according to our standard. Location is great, right at the city centre. It took a 10mins walk to the waterfront where we got on ferry to see the museums on the island. There are also many restaurants along boardwalk.

We know the rooms of the hotel are currently being renovated. Unfortunately, the Deluxe Twin we were given has not been done yet. The room was spacious but very dated. There was only bathtub in the bathroom and no power socket inside for the hairdryer, which we found extremely inconvenient. There was also no water bottle at turndown. Wifi was free and signal was strong inside the room as well as throughout the hotel, which was a big plus for staying at this hotel.

Staff was friendly and helpful. However, it seemed to us that the hotel was understaffed. When we arrived in the limousine arranged by the hotel, there was no doorman nor bellboy at the entrance to help with our luggages. I had to get to the front desk and ask for assistance. It was unacceptable for any nice hotel. Another example was at their restaurant, Theatercafeen. The place was less than half full when we had dinner there. However, our waitress was so busy, we ended up being taken care by the hostess the whole time. Food was below average. I ordered my veal entrecôte medium, it came out well done and that said it all. There was also a lounge at the lobby to serve as a second restaurant but it was opened until 3:00pm on Sunday when we visited. A room on the 2nd floor was opened for breakfast. Food was good in quality and service was outstanding. Not only they made rounds frequently to refill my coffee, the waitress even offered to get me a fresh cup instead of just topping up my cup which was remarkable.

We are not sure if this is already the best in Oslo. But for us, this is just a 4star hotel look alike.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ryu0803
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My first stay was not so good but I am back in this hotel .
I have a standard room . Not too big ...but it is ok for a business trip .
Staff at the reception are exceptionnal , very friendly and very welcoming . They really brought me their help for many details I needed .
The bad point is the bathroom very very small , I cannot imagine two persons in this kind of a room ...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here on business - room very well appointed and quiet - all that I needed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2012

A great central location but seriously in need of a massive refurb and pretty expensive for what you get

Room Tip: Ask for a view from your window as it's built round an atrium and the inside rooms have a view o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel is a few minutes walk from Nationaltheatret train station, which is the 3rd stop on the airport train (Flytoget). It's a classy old place, with bags of history and a lot of character.

I was checked in by super friendly gentleman on reception who offered help with my one tiny bag. I waved him off and went off to find my room, dreading to think what I would find. I had found a deal online for a single room that was so cheap (by Olso standards) that I wondered if I was going to be put in a cupboard in the basement. I needn't have feared. I was on the 5th floor, overlooking Olav Vs Gate, which was surprisingly quiet and leafy. My single room was the size of a good double, with a queen-sized bed. It was beautifully decorated with high ceilings and lots of lovely touches. The bathroom wasn't huge, but it was immaculate, rather posh, and had everything I could possibly need.

My only grumble about the room was that the wardrobe space was VERY limited and there were no drawers anywhere in the room. I was there alone and only for a few days, so it was fine. But if I had bulky winter clothes or had been staying longer, I would have struggled.

Also, free wifi. :)

Service and style throughout. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank recruitgal
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I was very pleased on a stop over for one night at the Continental. First class accomadations. People were very nice but all in all Oslo is a ridiculously expensive city....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends