“Gorgeous hotel on the hill!”

Scandic Holmenkollen Park
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our recent long weekend in Oslo. The hotel is about 25-30 minutes from Oslo-S on the T-bane, which in itself is a scenic ride from the city up the mountain.

We were welcomed warmly (having not bargained on the steep hill up from the T-bane station, this was much appreciated!) and comprehensively informed of the hotel's facilities and timings.

The room was comfortable and, as we had requested one with a view if possible, provided us with an impressive outlook down the mountain and into the town and lakes below. When we were in our room most of the time was spent just looking out at the gorgeous view.

We had previously read reviews of the breakfast being amazing in terms of range and taste; I'm pleased to say that this was very much the case. From continental cold meats and cheeses, to various cooked items, to simple cereals and bread with preserves, and then the fresh fish, there was certainly something for every palate - not to mention something different for every course! For me, a particular highlight was the fresh fish; the mackerel was superb, and the much talked-about salmon with chilli and cocoa was just... wow.

We took lunch in the cafe on the day we arrived, opting for sandwiches which were delightful. On a couple of evenings we spent time in the hotel bar with a fireplace in the centre. After a chilly day out walking in the snow, this was much needed! There were two great options for food, which was handy as there wasn't a great deal nearby to choose from.

The situation of the hotel was also perfect: a ten-minute (maximum) walk to the T-bane station, which would take you back into Central Oslo or up to Frognersteren for more snowy wonders, and a five-minute walk to the Holmenkollen ski jump museum. We were also on the doorstep of lovely walks.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend this place to family and friends.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went to Holmenkollen for skiing for 2 days and we just needed a place to sleep. I might think this hotel is one of the closest to Holmenkollen Vinter Park (alpine skiing) which is approximately 5 kms. It is a beautiful hotel with great view but dining is ridiculous expensive. 118 NOK for a half liter of beer and 159 NOK for an ordinary pizza (17 USD and 25 USD).

PROS
Clean and nice rooms
Friendly staff
Understand various of languages
Great morning buffet

CONS
Dining is ridiculous expensive
Little old fashion decor
Long walk to some of the rooms
No public parking just nearby

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank FlightOperator
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is situated in the best location a hotel could possibly be in Oslo. I have stayed 4-5 times there now, summer and winter. Mostly for business trips. I have mixed experiences in regards to service, room standard and quality. For frequent business travelers the lower rate rooms will be disappointing. But this is definitely one of the two hotels in Oslo with greatest charms. Especially in the winter time. The original historical part of the hotel is brilliant, the hotel extensions less pretty. Will stay there again but different rooms. The view over Oslo is the best from the hotel location, also right next to Holmenkollen Ski Jump arena. Great area to visit and have a look out even if you should not stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: don't buy the low rate rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kai T
Reviewed 28 January 2014

You can build luxurious five stars hotels and train your staff to be helpful and polite, but your hotel may still lack charm and warmth. Well, Rica Holmenkollen have it all; prestigious old historical building made of logs, placed on the most beautiful spot of Oslo with a fantastic view and a warmhearted staff. Furthermore they offer you both breakfast and lunch/dinner that is hard to beat. Everything from the reception to the hall ways and rooms are decorated as a tribute to Norwegian winter sports. The rooms are spacious and didn't lack anything essetial. Overall I had a good feeling staying there and it gave me the possibility to visit the nearby Holmenkollen Winter Olympic site and the whole area is perfect for walking and skiing in the winter time. You may want to consider a hotel downtown if you're into night life as Rica Homenkollen is a bit outside of Oslo city center. Myself I stayed in the newer annex building on the fifth floor with a fantastic view, but the floors underneath may have a restricted view due to the lower building with upscale rooms in front.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MosseTurku
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I spent two nights at the Holmenkollen during a snow storm which was quite beautiful. I also brought my six year old daughter which was risky. The hotel helped me arrange baby sitters for the days I was in meetings and was very accomodating with my unusual requests. The room was perfect and the heated tile in the bathroom was lovely. The food was good albeit spendy and they had some nice wine options. The breakfast buffet was excellent satisfying my child as well as me.

The pool, hot tub, and saunas were nice distractions and the spa looked nice but I didn't try it. It is a bit of a trek getting to town but my meetings were all in the hotel so that wasn't an issue for me.

Room Tip: The new wing was very nice. I didn't see rooms in the older wing. They were very quiet.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our firm had a planning weekend. Choosing Rica Holmenkollen was the smartest move. The newly renovated rooms are unique, the kitchen and breakfast buffet er top notch. The service is stylish without being posh or mannered. Rica Holmenkollen houses an excellent fitness center, pool and spa department that gave rejuvenation. The view and atmosphere gave us a unique, inspiring experience. The location and view is without compare for a hotel so close to he centre of a major city. We cannot find fault with the stay or the hotel. We wish to use Rica Holmenkollen to any and all stays in the future, and recommend it to anyone who wants a memorable hotal experience in a reasonable price range.

Room Tip: Choose the new rooms if possible
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel looks ok, but lacks the basics. The service is very slow, my TV in the room did not work (and no one could fix it), the roomservice food is of terrible quality.

I would recommend another hotel.

1  Thank Erik1900