“Amazing views and atmosphere but getting dated”

Scandic Holmenkollen Park
Ranked #27 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my second stay in Rica Holmenkollen. It's on the top of a hill, right by the famous ski jump center, with magnificent views over Oslo and the surrounding waters. There is a metro stop nearby but coming by car is a lot easier. The old building is a beautiful example of old Norwegian style and has beautiful details. The (recently renovated?) lobby area is nice too, and of our two rooms one was very nice and modern while the other one was a bit dated but nevertheless OK. Staff was helpful and competent.
But - the swimming pool and sauna had a lot to improve, the floor tiles were in major need of cleansing and the pool area was not tidied up after clients, so there were wet slippers etc everywhere.
The breakfast was OK and so was also the evening buffet for most part, although the warm choices were a disaster.

All in all, I think that for my next trip to Oslo I will select another hotel. Rica Holmenkollen has good offers these days but after relatively many disappointments I could rather pay (and get) a bit more for my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Satu68
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent our first night at the Rica Hotel in downtown Oslo . The location is fantastic its right across the street from the rail road station. This is a big deal because a lot of us take the fast train from the airport. (200+ miles per hr) You probably don't want a car in Oslo, parking is very expensive along with the fact that they charge for bringing a car into Oslo. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. People talk about the Norwegian breakfast, well the breakfast at the Rica Hotel downtown is unbelievable. I wish I would have taken pictures of the FREE buffet. We has some of the most delicious salmon and locks you have ever tasted.

We stayed at the Rica at the airport on the way home, it was nice and the breakfast was great, but not close to the one downtown.

Room Tip: The hotel is a business hotel so during the week it is very expensive, but on the weekend great deal...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerranceGoan
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights for business trip. Service is good and friendly, rooms are spacious but are getting aged. Bathroom is outdated, needs to be renovated. Shower inside bath is old fashioned and could hardly stand uprised (I am 1,90 m). Also cleaning was an issue, there was black mould on the tiles in the bathroom. Otherwise satisfied with my stay, the hotel is a good distance from the city center, and a stiff walk from the tube, there is also little to do in the direct vicinity, keep that in mind when booking. Pricewise it is ok but got a reduced price, enjoyed my breakfast which was good, ate dinner in the pizza restaurant, quite ok for a quick bite but nothing more. The swimmingpool is ok, but getting dated, sauna is getting tired and is in dire need for refurbishment. All in all I give it a 3/5.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

clean large room, my bathroom was amazingly big, and all very clean, I noted that other people had a lot smaller bathrooms, and I did not have a good view which would have been extra, but probably worth it,

either fine dinning restaurant option or help yourself pizza restaurant, went for the pizza option which was ok,
in general food seemed to be a weak point of the week staying there, but the deserts were amazing

Room Tip: ski museum is really worth a trip -less than 5 min walk
2  Thank AlexS1968
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This year's ELMi meeting ws held at the Holmenkollen Park Hotel and it was a perfect venue! It is a beautifully situated hotel high above Oslo with gorgeous views, nice rooms, very nice personnel, and good infrastructure and rooms for a meeting. Food was also very nice, especially the breakfast buffet.

1  Thank Lupus_arcticus
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Certainly the best room with view in Oslo, with sports facilities around.
It's what you need if you take time to visit the city because the train ride is 25 mins.
The breakfast (buffet) was nice and the pool is ok.
Hope to come back soon during winter time !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JIckyMahoupa
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed at the Rica Holmenkollen Park Hotel during May of 2014. I was a solo US traveler on vacation. There were many positive aspects of the hotel including location, staff, and décor. The hotel has a view of the city and the distant coastline. It was beautiful even on a cloudy day. The staff was very kind and helpful. My room had a charming B&B décor. The room and bathroom were clean and nicely decorated. There was even a chocolate on my pillow. Breakfast was included in the cost of the room. As I had to leave early, they offered to make me breakfast to go. I think that is a first for me. The challenges included meal options, and location (sic). Pretty much, only the pizza restaurant was open when I visited (off-peak season) and I ended up paying the equivalent of $26 for my personal pizza--which turned out to be the norm in Norway. Food prices are exorbitant by American standards. The location is also a challenge. It is not in the center of the city. It is near the end of subway line. Fortunately, Norwegian transportation is easy to figure out, clean, and precisely on time! What you want to do is take the Flytoget train (about $35) from the airport to Oslo Central Station and then take the local subway to the hotel. Do not take a taxi from Oslo Central station to the hotel! it could easily cost you more than $100. I learned the hard way. I took a 10 minute taxi ride from Oslo Central Station to the Viking Ship Museum and it cost me the equivalent of $60. At the museum, a kind lady told me how to catch the bus and train to my hotel. I spent less than $10 on that trip! :-) The walk from the subway station to the hotel is probably 10-15 minutes, but the last half of that trip is straight up a 30 to 45 degree slope upwards toward the hotel. I was out of breath hauling all of my luggage with me! LOL In summary, it is a lovely hotel and worth the trip with the caveats that I have noted above.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo