“Dirty rooms, but OK for one night!”

Ellingsens Pensjonat
Ranked #2 of 20 Oslo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 November 2013

When I arrived I saw that the room was not very clean + the bathroom was horriblly dirty. There was even left over shampoo-bottles from the previous guest and used toiletpaper. The minibar was not full.
I told the reception + the cleaners about this, but they did not do anything.
They just told me to tell the reception the next day.
So I did, but the reception said that that was not possible, because noone had stayed there after they put a New minibar in. So, not only did I have to stay in a dirty room, I also felt that they did not believe me eventhough I had told them the very moment I arrived.
Too bad such cosy surroundings are kept so bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have stayed here four times and it´s very cozy, clean, friendly staff. it´pretty simle, but the room has all you need. The bed is very good and it´s a refrigerator and water boiler. The staff is very friendly and helpful. the breakfast cost NK 85,- and is served in a very cozy room

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Trine F
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is a quite nice place, about 15mins walk from central Oslo.
It has free wifi, though I did find it a little intermittent, especially from my room.
Shower room is just along from my room. It's long and narrow, but it's all good and has a heated floor. :)
Exterior could be tidier. There is a little debris just outside the entrance.
I would also like to thank the staff for there helpfulness in getting my mislaid luggage back to me under difficult circumstances.

1  Thank Aeneas F
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here on our first night in Norway, had a little help from the tourist office to find the place as it was a little out the way of the main goings on, but that is just how we like it. the staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms was lovely and clean with everything you would need in, food basket, beds, tv, table and the shared bathrooms showers were in good order (get up early to avoid the rush)
as a one night budget stay it is ideal and we would definitely use it again.

Room Tip: go for a high up room to avoid road noise (not that there is much)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was very impressed with the hotel (or is it a hostel?) when I arrived: everything was so clean, nice and well organized! My room had a table with TV, a small sink, a fridge with drinks and a basket with food (which you have to pay if you use, it's not for free); the bath was communal, but it was also very clean. Breakfast was not included, and I had to leave really early, so I cannot say anything about it.

The only negative point about this hotel is that it is a bit far from the city center (around 20 minutes walk), but it has a tram stop just in front of the door. Also, the girl at reception was very helpful but not very smily; anyway, I prefer that to a non-helpful smily person...

All in all, very good conditions for its price (considering it's Oslo).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Santi P
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in September. Our room on the third floor was spacious and fresh and nicely decorated. There was a sink and a fridge in the room so we were able to keep food for picnics and snacks- we made sandwiches to take with us for lunch during the day (I am sure you know by now how ridiculously expensive meals are in Norway!).
We shared a toilet and shower but never even saw any of the other people on our floor. There was wifi down in the lobby that was free. The location is in a lovely neighborhood a short tram ride into the center of Oslo...or anywhere else we wanted to go. Just a note on transportation- if you will be here for several days it is a good deal to get a weekly card for tram, bus, T bana, even the boat to Bygdoy. You can just get on and off and go all over the city and see the different neighborhoods. Ellingsens is a short walk to Frogner Park where the beautiful Vigeland sculptures are, a nice thing to do in the evening. The staff at Ellingsen's is very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here any time we can come back to Oslo.

Room Tip: The third floor room we had was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janny45
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night, ordered a double room, but got 2 seperate beds.
Parking in the street is terrible- no free spots!!!
The hall on the 3rd floor was stuffy, but in the room it was ok. Our room was nicely decorated.
Too bad the reception is closed after 6 pm (I wanted to book a room over the phone and had to wait til the next day to get some information about it).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family