“All - inclusive offer”

Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 19 January 2013

The Hotel clean and quiet not so far from downtown. from there is very easy to get main place, closely to National theatre. Important thing is, lunch and dinner are inclusive. You will get traditional Food from Norway everyday.!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NarisaB

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I was recommended to stay at this hotel because of its proximity to the offices of the people that I was to meet. So I found myself slightly further from the centre of Oslo than if I had chosen myself. Having said that, during my stay I did walk from the Opera house via the main shopping area at Karl Johans Gate back to the hotel in about 30 minutes. It was minus 15 Celsius though, so I didn't hang around.

I arrived at the hotel by car and was able to park at the rear of the property in the modestly sized parking area, but I'm not sure that it would be so easy to find a space in the summer months. The hotel has a relatively small reception area but the check-in was very efficient and I was in my room very quickly.

The room was very northern European, sparse but clean and adequate, I must admit that I like this kind of room décor. The bed was comfortable the room temperature easy to regulate, which was a major plus considering the outside temp. And all other in room things including free wi-fi were as expected, there is no coffee making in room, but there is a coffee station on each floor within easy reach if you need a fix.

The major problem with the room for me though was the size of the bathroom, in fact there was no bath, and the shower was a tiny cubicle type that rendered it almost impossible to move within the shower when the door was closed.

I didn't use the other amenities of the Hotel other than to have breakfast, which I have to say was an excellent buffet with very good breads, meats, cheeses etc. and a good selection of hot dishes. And for those who are a bit more adventurous there were also some fishy things, not sure but I think it was the fermented Rakfisk, I didn't try it...

This hotel is a franchise of the same group as comfort hotels so I was not expecting great things, however I was pleasantly surprised by my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a reasonably sized bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank chkuk
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This Hotel looks very exclisive from outside. BUT inside is it DIRTY, and low profile rooms.

The Television is the old boxes from 80`s. If you get a flat screen it is a plasma from 2000.

The rooms are dirty, special the bathrooms. In the showers and around the toilet.

The evening food is the same. Always. They serve the same food in the syclus.

In the mean areas is it also very dirty, special in all stairs....

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank k_7777777
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Oslo in November may not be the best choice, but the warm cozy atmosphere in this old world hotel can very much improve your spirits. I found both breakfast and buffet dinner (surprisingly included in the price) very good and the staff very helpful.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My honest advice: stay in a 3* hotel, spend the money you save on a decent meal! The buffet is like this 4* hotel – Mediocre at best.
Perhaps this hotel complies with the strict letter of the rules to qualify for their 4*, however what would be a passable (but overpriced) 3* hotel falls far below the standards I expect from a 4* hotel.
Our room was small, looked very tired and dirty, and well in need of refurbishment. For example the toilet roll holder was broken and placed on the toilet, the skirting board was cracked, paint was pealing and the room smelt musty unless the windows were left open (I feel sorry for guests who stay in the winter). We didn’t ask for a replacement as we were so exhausted when we arrived, however I strongly feel that every room in a 4* hotel should be 4* standard.
Some of the things that you take for granted in a 4* hotel are not available, for example a concierge who will look after baggage in a reasonably secure place while you explore the town. They have a tiny room where you can leave things, however it is left open, and guests are just invited to drop off or pick their things up. I'm reasonably fit and was able to haul my bags onto the top of the chest high pile of bags, however felt uncomfortable leaving my laptop in the room, least someone walk out with it or the mountain of bags fall onto it. There was no space to hang a suit bag.
The staff were unhelpful. I have several examples. Perhaps a typical example is an 80 year-old gentleman who was checking out before me who I had to help with his bags because the staff did not offer. I don't expect this kind of service in a 4* hotel, in fact I don't expect anyone in the service industry to watch an elderly man struggle with bags.
There are no "extras", for example was unable to borrow an umbrella on a rainy day (none left), purchase an Oslo pass (they don't do that). They also tried to charge me twice, and had to show them my online booking receipt, and then e-mail it to them before they would believe I had already paid.
Oslo is an expensive city, and they do offer a complimentary buffet in the evening but it is very mediocre. My honest advice: stay in a 3* hotel, you will get the same quality of service and accommodation and spend the money you save on a decent meal!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B R
Reviewed 7 August 2012

the hotel is located within a walking distance to the center of oslo, and is a good european standard hotel, with a cute little garden. the room was a bit small, and same was the bathroom, but good enough for one person. unfortunately the road access to the hotel was restricted due to some works (road repairing), and they started working quite early in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
NairaOslo, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for the nice feedback. I was surprised reading about the road construction, but things became more clear when I saw you stayed here in October last year. As a piece of information to other readers, I find it worth mentioning that the construction is finished long ago and the surroundings of the hotel is back to its usual quiet and harmonious state.

Naira Lalayan

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We (family of 4) stayed here on the 4th floor in 2 separate rooms. The hotel was beautiful! Our room was small but that is how they are in Europe/Scandinavia. The air conditioner did not seem to be working but I opened the window and the weather was a perfect 56! The bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly, and most importantly, the hotel was quiet. We even didn't arrive until after midnight and the front desk man was extremely helpful. There is a metro stop about 2 blocks away. There is a convenient store right by the metro stop and you can by a day pass. This allows use on all transport (bus, metro, ferry). The room included breakfast as well as an evening meal. Although I was not blown away by the food the quality was good. Upon returning to Oslo before leaving the country we stayed at a sister hotel called Hotel Savoy. It was wonderful as well but I much preferred Hotel Gabelshus mainly due to the quietness of the location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Hello.

It was a pleasure to read your review. Many thanks on the behalf of our staff and myself. Welcome back to Hotel Gabelshus when in Oslo again and to the big Clarion Collection family with over 40 hotels in most popular Scandinavian destinations.

Naira Lalayan