“Great value for the money”

Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Los Angeles, CA
“Great value for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

We stayed at the Gabelhus for 4 nights in mid-May, 2009. We were surprised to discover that our special rate of $159 per night included both dinner and breakfast. The dinner was buffet style, and included soup and salad (very fresh), very good bread and several hot entrees. The breakfast was equally generous. Our room was fine, small, comfortable. Free internet in the lobby. The staff was quite friendly. The hotel is a nice 15 minute walk to downtown Oslo. What really made us like this hotel is that my husband was ill so that we had to stay an extra night. The rate for that night would have been double what we paid and the manager was kind enough to give us the cheaper rate for the 4th night. A class act.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Cute boutique hotel.
Downside: A long walk from the city and train station, especially trying to wheel suitcases over pebbly streets (taxi was ~20 Euros just few a few km!). Glass toilet doors - not too private.
Upside: Breakfast & dinner included (you will be happy to stay indoors at night unless middle of summer!). These make it great value for money when you consider the cost of meals in Olso! Free (real) coffee 24/7

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

We chose this hotel for 3 reasons: we thought it is in a quiet neighbourhood but still close to the city centre; easy parking and the comfort of the hotel. Unluckily, only part of it turned out as expected.
Easy parking: Yes, hotel has limited free parking spaces for the quests, which was very convenient if there is one available.
Close to the city center: yes, it is about 15 minutes nice walk from hotel to the harbour, but you can also take the tram. The stop is very close to hotel.
Quiet: It is only partly true. It was a very beautiful sunny evening / night in Oslo (about 20C). Our room become very warm (no air-conditioning in room). We had to open the windows. It was very hard to get some sleep. First, we heard every car passing by. Second, although it was on a weekday, people stayed in their garden / balcony talking / laughing very loudly almost the whole night. Third, we can also hear people talking next to our room. Suggestion: If you stay in the main building during warm days, avoid rooms that are facing the street side.
Comfort: The room is very nice decorated. The comfort and the qualities of the beds and bedlinen are excellent. Although the quality of the bathroom is as good as the rest of the room, the size of it is unacceptable small. It is only about 180 cm by 80 cm. So when I sat on the lavatory, my legs are under the sink (I am only 1.55 cm high!) The door of the bathroom is made from clear glass. Very good choice, I guess. At least you won't get claustrophobia there.
Elevator: We stayed in the main building. The elevator is very very old, small and slow.
The simple free supper is a advantage since in the direct neighbourhood is no restaurant.

So, actually we were not very satisfied with this hotel. However, if I read the reviews about other hotels in Oslo, Gabelshus seems still to be one of the better choices.

2 Thank TravelWen
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

I took my mom to Norway and I didn't want your typical "city center" hotel. I found this and it was perfect. It's located on the west side, near the #13 tram route. Nice breakfast and dinner (complimentary). There is no restaurant per se. We found it to be a nice, personable place to stay. I'd definitely come here again!

Stayed June 2009
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

We have just returned from ten days in Norway, starting with four nights in Oslo staying at the Clarion Collection Gabelshus Hotel.
The hotel is a charming building from the outside and, although it is a little outside the city centre is very conveniently placed. A very short walk to the tram stop gives access to a tram straight into the city centre, including the central railway and bus stations. This means that one can avoid taxis - even with luggage. This is a decided advantage as taxis in Oslo are very expensive.
Inside the hotel is clean and comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful. The breakfast was fine and there is the added advantage of food in the evening included in the Bed and Breakfast rate. This is described as a "light meal". However, in our experience is was perfectly adequate - given that one had eaten a hearty breakfast. Our room was on a corner and was fine. The bed was a bit small, as we are used to a king-sized bed at home. The bathroom was also perfectly adequate.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and would return. I thought the rates were very reasonable, especially condsidering how costly Norway is generally.

australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel came highly recommended and we even changed our itinerary so that we could experience the Gabelshus. It was good, very very good and we dont hesitate to recommend this lovely, somewhat unusual hotel for a relaxed and convenient stay in the lovely city of Oslo. However, ladied be warned - what they won't tell you upon booking is that many of the rooms lack a timber door in the bathroom so unless youre one of those' freeshow' types who doesnt mind sharing the view of your morning and evening abolutions then go ahead and book without any qualms but if you are like me and like to keep the mystique and have some privacy on occasion then you may well be floored upon discovering that a glass door both in shower and entry to bathroom is what they have installed.
Surely no woman was part of this planning!
No sooner had we placed our bags down I was heading back down. I know things are different in some hotels and I dont think my expectations are high but a toilet door was something I considered as standard. OH didnt care and nor would I have, had I been travelling on my own... .
The male receptionist was quite aloof- understandably he was stressed- alone at the time on duty he was already handling a difficult situation on the phone so my polite but firm request for a toilet door was received with very little sympathy. In fact, I felt that I was the prude and that if I really wanted to know, MANY of the rooms the Clarion group designs have totally glassed bathrooms! Hooray for Clarion I say ! Thank goodness I know to check!
This may seem a minor matter to some and even laughable to some but trust me, after an exhausting car trip over Norway, the need to have some space to myself was really pressing!
The change was made to a beautiful room on the top floor in the old style section - the downside is that the narrow lift only goes to the 4th floor so watch out if you're elderly or have trouble with stairs.
There is a different part to the hotel - not as charming I think - the Ritz and the advantage there is that you do have the ironing room> Not having an iron in the room after a long car trip was inconvenient but we made do with trips to the 2nd floor after breakfast.
The bathroom in room 504 was very good - plenty of room to lay out your toiletries and plenty of body shampoo - no little bits of soap! And bonus of bonuses a great full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door that could swing out to the bedroom as well.
Ironically the receptionist was thinking of putting us into this room in the first place since we asked for a quiet room but upon seeing the height of my man he decided to do him a favour and put us in the room with the toilet view so he thought he was being kind! ( Later in the morning the female receptionists on duty and I had a giggle over it- they understood exactly my concerns!)
Ironically again it was I who kept knocking my head on the giant beam that charmingly held up the ceiling but truly it was worth it.
I would recommend this hotel over and over. It made a delightful end to our wonderful trip to glorious Norway and gave us a chance to eat!
Not only was breakfast included - and what a great breakfast it was indeed but they also provided a wonderful buffet dinner!
You could get a coffee anytime too and even though I never got that bit right even though there was a machine and an urn with several options( but Im funny about coffee anyway) it was still good to go back for a break and a hot drink. We loved the furnishings of the hotel and the internet was free- only one though.
Would've loved some dessert - that is not provided with dinner but there was a bit of watermelon or honeydew melon.
Location was good- in the embassy district with lovely old homes. We are good walkers and easily made it to Karl Johanns gate each time ( the pedestrian centre) but I dont know that a lot of people would like to walk to the harbour from the Gabelshus> We had a car and mostly got a space in the hotel's grounds but I dont know that you really need a car in Oslo!
Overall, fabulous and elegantly so experience! If it werent for that blasted toilet door or lack of Id be gushing even more!

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

The hotel is located in an upmarket residential area a short walk from shops, restaurants and a cinema. We walked to the harbour area the first morning but there is an extensive tram, bus and metro system in Oslo which we used for the rest of our stay - the tram stop is only minutes from the hotel. Oslo is very expensive and the buffet breakfast and light dinner that was included in the room rate make this hotel a good choice for anyone not on an expense account. Our room was quiet large by European standards with twin beds which we pushed together, a couple of easy chairs and a large window with a door that opened to a small balcony with a nice view of residential gardens. There was a desk and complimentary internet. The shower room was very small and there was nowhere to put our toiletries. The other negative was the liquid soap dispensers and no shampo or conditioner. There was a hair dryer. The public rooms were quiet nice with coffee and tea available all day along and a waffle maker for an afternoon snack. The hotel was more than adaquate and the location and inclusive meals make it a good choice for someone looking for value in Olso.