“Broken Elevator - no Bellboy”

Best Western Karl Johan Hotell
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The day after we checked in the elevator stopped working. We weren't given the use of the staff elevator. When I asked why the desk clerk said it only worked between the third and fifth floors. This wasn't true as I'd seen hotel maids using it. I watched 60 and 70 year olds trying to drag their suitcases up four and five flights of stairs with no assistance from the hotel staff. To be fair there was only one person at a time at the desk.
The first room we were given was a broom closet with a window onto huge vents. When I told the desk person it was unacceptable she gave us a nice big room facing the plaza. This was good except there was a heat wave and no air conditioning and windows that only opened 2 inches.

I am sorry to complain but other than the wonderful breakfasts and excellent maid service the hotel really should be closed until it is upgraded.

Room Tip: Make sure the elevator is working. Get an exterior room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gwensanfranciscob

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Hotel is old, with small noisy and warm rooms. Poor air condition. Will never come back. The worst hotel I have ever visited in Norway.

Plus: Central

Negative: noise, service (waiting time in breakfast and reception), air conditions, room's size, design and standard

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank P D
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Karl Johan street is the main street of Oslo.To go to Nobel Peace Prize building and City Hall takes just 15 minutes by walk, National Gallery is even closer.Near the hotel ,there is subway station and you can also see Munch Museum after a few stops.Spanish lady at the reception is the best.She is very friendly.After I checked out, waiting for my flight hour , I had a great talk with her.I highly recommended this hotel even if prices are also high.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Ideally located close to the main shopping district, Royal Palace, theatres, harbour and eateries. I never saw the exterior as it was scaffolded for renovation on my recent weekend stay. The building works never interfered with my stay but my neighbour in the room next yo me did. Not his fault - he can't help snoring. But the walls of the hotel (at least on the 5th floor) are paper thin and that is my main negative about this hotel. I could not fault the staff or the well stocked breakfast buffet and pleasant dining area. The grand staircase going all the way up is a lovely feature. Mine was a single room. The bedroom/living area was adequate but the bathroom/shower was tiny. Very clean though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Iceyu
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The first 4 days were somehow OK. The room was small, the basinet was tiny and so was the shower, but somehow I managed. Then I left to Bergen and came back. they gave me a 'cabin'! A claustrophobically small room. And the shower is on the toilet (yes, this is not a misspell). They know the room sucks - this is why they asked me to pay in advance.
Now we get to the best part, there some motor outside the room. I asked to replace the room. They told me they are booked full and offered me earplugs.
I am now sitting in a hotel room with earplugs! What a vacation?!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, but if you must - Get a room at the top floor (and check the room before paying...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of Oslo city. A short 10 minute walk from the railway station; which is pedestrianised.
Excellent buffet breakfast which offers both traditional Norwegian as well as European Continental and a small selection of cooked English breakfast foods; although sometimes there would be a wait for the cooked food to be refilled, and herring is not my choice?
The rooms are comfortable with excellent heating and the beds were to die for. I slept so well with what looks like a shabby duvet on top of me, but yet this is the best duvet I have ever slept under. As for noise there was none for us and we overlooked the side street.
there was a small 'lounge' area if you didn't want to stay in your room where there was plenty of coffee and teas available as a well as a television to watch (though there was one in the room).
It is currently undergoing extension at one of the present hotel to extend its number of rooms; as well as some rooms are undergoing refurbishment, especially to double glaze the windows.
The advantage of this hotel is its closeness to everything as well as transport links out of the city. And the staff couldn't be more friendly - thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and off to the side
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for it central location and moderate prices butunfortunately didn't read the reviews here before confirming our booking, The staff was helpful, held our luggage because we arrived early and gave us directions on what to see around Oslo until check in time. The room we stayed in on the second floor was spacious (13ft high ceilings), had a large and clear bathroom, an a separate alcove for the bed. There was also a sofa bed (which we had requested ahead of time).

After our walks in Oslo we headed to bed rather early (9:30 p.m. or so) and fell asleep right away until the music started. LOUD. THUMPING. FLOOR SHAKING MUSIC! The second floor rooms are located right above the sports bar (not affiliated with the hotel) but on the first floor. This continued until THREE A.M.!!

Let me just pause this review to ask a rhetorical question - what part of having thumping music under a hotel room makes business sense?

The music was so loud during the first night of our stay the floor and walls were vibrating. It kept me, my son and wife up until 3 a.m. when it magically stopped.

The next day, we brought it to the front desk's attention (they informed us only one other person complained) and they moved us to the fourth floor facing Karl Johans. Street noise was evident, but nothing compared to thumping dance music until 3 a.m.

I felt sorry for the front desk staff as I am sure the noise complaints are brought to their attention on a regular basis. Management needs to take some steps to rectify this - perhaps gut the 2nd floor and make it the location of the dining area or put in some heavy duty sound proofing. The three different staff members we dealt with during our staff were friendly and accommodating.

Pros
------
Great breakfast buffet
Central location
moderately priced
front desk staff, friendly and knowledgeable.
Deli de Luca (like a 7-11) on street level around the corner - for sandwiches, soft drinks etc

CONS
---------
VERY LOUD MUSIC UNTIL 3 A.M.

Room Tip: Select a high room facing away from the street. Bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family