We booked a Suite in this hotel, (now called the Best Western Karl Johan Hotell) their website picture looked fabulous. Although they pride themselves in being an 18th century hotel, there was nothing 18th century about our room. It was completely modern, even down to the pictures on the wall. The reception is very pretty but in my opinion, gives a false impression on the rest of the hotel. The room was nothing like we expected, it had stains all over the carpet, old cigarette butts on the window sills, there were no drawers to put our clothes/personal items in, the bathroom had no room to put out toothbrushes etc, the toilet hugged the wall to the point you had to sit on it sideways on, the whole bathroom was no bigger than 1.5m square. The whole room was only slightly bigger than any standard hotel room but I guess what made it a suite was that it had a sofa in it. We paid a premium rate for this room & we asked if we could change rooms due to the state of it & lack of facility. Staff offered to downgrade but not until the following day & without offering the price difference. We had to ask 3 times for the tea & coffee to be brought to the room as it was supposed to have it in there already. Between 2am & 3am, there was a crane directly outside the window scraping ice off the roof, why that could not have been done in the day is beyond me but staff were not phased by complaint even though this was the only building on the mile long street to have ice scraped at that time of morning. The location is fantastic, that can't be faulted. Plenty of things to do & see. Despite having a perfectly capable dining room for breakfasts, they do not offer any form of dining except a Pizza menu from an outsourced company who close fairly early & charge a fortune! Suffice to say, instead of switching rooms the next day as arranged, we checked out & stayed in the Rica Grand Oslo instead, which was just amazing in comparison & still in a fabulous location. We are still waiting to hear back from Best Western regarding our complaints, they did not even query why we wanted to check out 3 days early on a 4 night stay. I have been trying to think of positive things about this hotel but all I can come up with is: Good location for walking to different attractions, nice decor in the reception, pretty views over the ice rink from the upper floors...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On Oslo's main street and in the heart of the city centre lies this historic hotel from 1899. Next to the Parliament and within immediate walking distance to a variety of museums, attractions, shops, bars and restaurants. The hotel has 114 rooms, as well as 5 meeting rooms with a maximum capacity of 70 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, getaroom.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Karl Johan Hotell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Karl Johan Hotell Hotel Oslo
- Norlandia Karl Johan Hotell Oslo