Soria Moria Hotel
US$456
US$180
US$184
US$178
Comfort Hotel Boersparken(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$153
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$117
  • Fitness centre
Saga Hotel Oslo(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$175
Scandic St. Olavs plass(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$207
  • Pool
US$554
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsconference hotelminute driveswimming poolqueen roomoslo fjordsmall tvmetro stationoverlooking oslot baneamazing locationnice hotelbreakfast and dinnercity centrequiet areavisit oslostayed here for one nightcomfortable stay
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Beautiful, ambient, tranquil, peaceful environment. The hotel is located in the midst of a forest up on a hill. Browsing the internet websites on accomodations in "Ushlu" this hotel was described as being a 3,5 star quality one. Actually it does definitely deserve the 4* rating.

The hotel is really spacious in all terms. Not just the double-bed rooms, but all interior common usage areas, as well. I liked this feature as opposed to downtown hotels with those squeezed tiny spaces.

The exterior appearance of the hotel building is not something attractive, pretty much moderate, but the interior design and applied materials do appeal to me by contrast .

Cleanliness and neatness is immaculate from the lobby through the corridors to the rooms. My rooms was on the 3rd floor. When I woke up in the morning the scenery was fabulous. Only green woods near and far in the distance. The room is cosy, the bathroom spacious, with long bath tub, and shower. The tap water is of strange brownish colour, same as I just read it here in another review. The receptionist relaxed me about it. Anyway if you insist on drinking clear water you will find sparkling water freely available in front of the conference rooms in the lobby.

The scandinavian breakfast, frokost is abundant and of wide assortment. Try and get there early enough to avoid the herds of "corporate citizens" participating in team -building programs and conferences.

One thing you should be aware of when taking your decision: If you do not use a car during your stay in Ushlu, so want to use the public transportation to access the hotel remember, that you will want to take a 15 minutes walk from the station of the Trikken (something like S-Bahn in Berlin, HEV in Budapest, etc.)

It is a really nice walk on a deserted asphalt road in the woods, but not everybody likes walking in the dark even if the street is illuminated. The Trikken commutes every 15 minutes until 22 h, and you need another 30-35 minutes to get to the downtown. The route of the Trikken is also nice as it descends/climbs amidst the trees. If you drive the trip takes some 20 minutes down to the city.

Be aware of taxi fares ! I went crazy when I had no other option on a Saturday morning at 5 A.M. to get to the main train station. I paid not less than 530 NOK. There is night extra fee and additional substantial extra fee charged for pre-order for the next day.

You can come across quite neat room prices for 50 % of rack price if you use the internet. As I did.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Atyilu
Reviewed 16 September 2008

I stayed at the Soria Moria for 1 night in September with my boyfriend - it was our first night in Norway on our 9-day holiday. We really enjoyed our stay, however this is very obviously a conference centre! The general look of the place and it's size (and labyrinthine layout) are consistent with a business destination rather than a cosy hotel out of town.

THE ROOM:
It was neat and clean, with a small kettle and fridge (stuffed with minibar treats of course... resist! Resist!). The colour scheme is not my ideal style, all red and green - a bit festive! However the room was adequate and the bathroom was very nice (underfloor heating, shower-over-bath, large and well lit). We had a bit of a view, but only because we were on the end of the corridor and could see past the opposite building - anyone else on our corridor would have had a view of a brick wall! We were on the fourth floor of the annexed building (over the "skywalk").

Problems with the room: apart from the questionable view, there were strange noises all day/night - I think it was the plumbing system? Very frequent noises that were especially loud in the bathroom in the morning, when everyone is flushing their loos I guess!
The beds were two singles - we can't say we weren't warned about this! We just pushed them together.
Also, we assumed the tap water was drinkable, but it was a weird colour - sort of yellowish. It tasted fine and smelled of nothing at all so I doubt it was chemicals, however it looked pretty nasty!

BREAKFAST:
Very generous buffet as you expect in Norway:
croissants,
sausages and eggs,
jams,
several types of bread,
several types of cheese,
several types of meat (including something like parma ham covered in ground cloves...!)
pate,
tea/coffee/juices.

RESTAURANT:
We didn't go into the main restaurant in the evening because we only wanted a small supper, and there was a huge wedding party celebrating in there! We decided to act on the advice of many reviewers here, and try the "10 quid burger". See photo. This was a part of the light bites menu...! It was a great burger, simple patty hamburger with gherkins, sauces, a nice bun, big pile of chips.... actually this is better than you would get in a UK pub and costs about the same. Also I recommend the hot chocolate (varm sjokolade), which was served in a huge silver pot with a whole bowl of freshly-whipped cream and cranberries and mint leaves! Yum! We ate in the section outside the main restaurant, by a roaring fire - lovely.

STAFF:
All seemed very friendly and drew us a map to help us find our room...! The waiters were very attentive despite having such a large party waiting in the next dining room.

VIEWS:
Excellent, especially out of the back of the building (in the businessy area).

LOCATION:
Out of town, we really could not have found this without a map. Luckily it is marked on the tourist information centre's map of Oslo - top left, near the enormous ski jump. It was quite a drive, I would not recommend using a taxi for this! On the other hand, there was practically no passing traffic and we felt on top of the world looking out over Oslo and the countryside.

Conclusion:
I would recommend this hotel, but be warned it is a bit out of the way! And be careful which room you are in, as one whole branch of the annex block will have no view at all over three floors. We were very lucky on that one.
The burger and hot chocolate are recommended; the pre-dining room is very cosy indeed!

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank ZannahDu
Reviewed 15 August 2007

I stayed at the Soria Moria hotel for 3 nights when vacationing in Oslo. It's nice, clean and quiet. It has a nice swimming pool and a sauna. If you don't have a car however you will be forced to eat at the pricey hotel restaurant (I believe the dinner buffet is 225 NOK). The closest other restaurant is also somewhat pricey (but nice) about 15 min walking distance. The closest train station is about 15-20 min walk down a steep hill or you'll have to take a cab to take you to town. Having a car made the stay so much easier: you can get close to Oslo Center (the Frogen Park) in 10 minutes, there's a camping site with a little store and a pizzeria 10 min driving distance. Finding the hotel is easier than I thought: you just follow the signs to Hollmenkollen (the ski jump) and then drive past it following the white signs to Soria Moria. There's also a bike rental 15 min walk past the hotel (about 200 NOK per day). The Oslo view from the little terrace 5 min downhill from the hotel is spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank JackieSnack
Reviewed 11 July 2007

There have been a lot of great reviews about this hotel and, being a regular business traveller to Oslo who generally gets little choice about what hotel to stay at, I was delighted when the email came in from my travel desk telling me that I was booked into the Soria Moria.

The hotel is located far from the city centre close to the Holmenkollen ski jump which is quite impressive, and worth a visit, even in the warmer months. After arriving at the Central Station on the airport express train, I jumped into a cab and it was a good 20 –25 minute ride to the hotel and cost 383 NOK (33 GBP, 48 EUR, 66 USD). I’d make sure you have something with the hotel address on it to give to the taxi driver, the one who took me back to the hotel from my office one evening didn’t seem too sure where he was going and eventually had to stop someone to ask for directions!

The building itself is not much too look at and has more than a passing resemblance to an office block. The reception area was bright
and airy and there is a swimming pool available. For some reason, the
hotel is split into two sections and it was quite awkward at first to find your way about; there being 2 sets of lifts and little corridors here and there.

My room was fine, bigger than other Norwegian hotels; clean enough with a desk, TV, mini-bar and a combined bath/shower. I paid 1395 NOK (118 GBP, 175 EUR, 240 USD) per night which wasn’t too bad. Wireless internet access is available in the rooms but is an extra charge of 75 NOK for 12 hours.

There’s a restaurant in the hotel – it’s expensive (and quiet) and the a la carte portions were small. The alternative is to take an expensive taxi back to town, have some food and then take another expensive taxi back to the hotel. There is, of course, the option of taking the more cost effective train. I found the service in the restaurant to be poor with the waiter forgetting my drinks despite there only being a handful of tables occupied. I ate in the restaurant on both nights of my stay and had the burger and chips the first evening and picked from the a la carte on the second – I wish I gone for the burger and chips instead!

Perhaps my expectations were too high and this may be a great hotel for the tourist who’s after a winter wonderland experience or enjoys trekking in the forest but for the lone business traveller it’s just too far from the city and doesn’t offer anything more than you can already find in town.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank LangtounLoon
Reviewed 30 March 2007

We agree with most of what others have said. Just like to let you know if you miss the last train from centre ( leaves at 23.43) and need to take taxi up it cost us 450nk!! for 15 min journey. But if your flight gets in before 21.30 to Torp then you may be okay, and should manage to get little train, second last stop on line 1. we had oslo card, but did see you could get a train only pass from station which would be better option if you don't want to do museams. We went toboggoning......brill, scary and can hurt back on bumps! cheaper to hire sledge from hire place near volksenkollen. Take waterproof clothes and warm gloves etc for this activity!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple