“Best meal ever?”

Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Certainly in the top 3. No menu - but an astonishing variety of small but interesting (some exciting) dishes (27 as I recall). A few were sublimely excellent with layers of intense flavour, the others were simply great. The passion of the staff was evident and the location was cool. Overall a wonderful experience that we will remember forever. Not cheap but well worthwhile.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you want to try something out of the ordinary, this is clearly the place to go in Oslo. We were welcomed by a warm and proper staff. They had the service down to say the least. As there's quite a few dishes, it's special just to watch how they work. Seamlessly. The food is out of this world. One of the best and greatest for us ever. Bought a bottle of champagne with the meal, tried the beer, red wine and dessert wine. Ask for one of the tables close to the wine cellar if you want a view if the kitchen. They also have a chef's table next to the kitchen (no extra charge). So proud to have this type of restaurant in Oslo now. Just womderful.

1  Thank Flaatten79
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were blown away by the food and the whole experience. I would travel to Oslo just to eat here again. The amount of respect for the produce was highlighted by the personal approach by all the chefs, who served some of the dishes. I loved the fact that the Sommelier was just as knowledgeable about the food as the chefs. Loved it loved it. It reminded me of De Kamerliet near Bruge. Memorable

1  Thank adreskitchen
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I had a wonderful experience at Maaemo. This was also my first Michelin starred restaurant so I have nothing to base this review on when it comes to that echelon of food.
Though it is a bit difficult to find as google does not have an updated place for where it is now (to the right of the bridge at the top of the stairs). When I walked in I was surprised with how laid back the ambiance is, it was appreciated. I was seated by a wonderful host who met me at the door, and was informed that since I did not drink alcohol they had a Juice pairing with the meal which was a nice, refreshing, surprise! The meal started promptly and for each and every course (I had 23 to include dessert) the chef(s) who prepared it brought it down and explained in detail what I was eating and where it came from. I think this was a lovely addition to the dining experience as I got to learn a bit about the country and even some culinary history!
As for the food (which varied in taste immensely from dish to dish), some plates were not to my liking, though I recognized that it was not due to the food being bad. However others blew my palate away. One of these was the Reindeer heart porridge which was unlike anything I have tried before. Another was Pine Glazed Langoustines. Both of these in my opinion have set the bar for how stellar a bite of food can really taste. I could eat either everyday for the rest of my life. There were some others that stood out as well but these were, to me, the best. The desserts left much to be desired however, none left an impression.
After everything, I was so full I wasnt sure if I could walk back to the public transport...

All in all I was thoroughly impressed and enjoyed the almost 4hour experience. Would I return? Unfortunately no, the price is to much for not loving every single plate.
Cheers

1  Thank Skye M
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have eaten at Michelin star restaurants around the world. However, Never have we ever discussed the disappontment dinning experience at length for the next few days - between ourselves nor to our friends :(. Not worth the price, nor the reputation it deserves sorry to say. Next!

9  Thank diningenthusiast