“Please, don't read this...”
Review of Maaemo

Maaemo
Ranked #3 of 1,549 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

...as either A: you'll be too jealous, or B: you should spend your time trying to book a table sometime in the foreseeable future. (We waited months...) I read an interview today with the owner of Danish Noma, another restaurant with 2 stars in the Michelin universe. He had observed guests literally crying over certain dishes at his place. Well, if he had been at Oslo's only 2 star restaurant, MAAEMO, he might have had the opportunity to study 3 friends struggling to keep their tears back over this dish: Frozen blue cheese from Eggen Farm With pickled black trumpet mushroom. The purest restaurant joy our well-travelled and versatile little trio had encompassed anywhere. I won't give away any bit more. You have to find out for yourself. Interesting little sightseeing to the kitchen as as break between the numerable plates. Perfect staff! Charming lot! (Tripdavisor; please, can you come up with something more interesting than 'Dinner' as a suitable option when it comes to places like this? Our meal was spread out over 3.5 hours, counting .....how many plates?.)

3  Thank 1Norwegian

Reviewed 18 July 2014

It is what one would expect from a 2 star Michelin restaurant. An incredible experience of flavours, smells, texture, presentation and service. Some of the flavours and combinations one might not ever tried before, but here is the chance to try so. Unexpected and exciting experiences serve at every single small bite (and there's about 27 of them).

Highly recommended if you want to have an experience that very hardly you will forget. It's excellency at every point.

The location is not ideal, I would say, but the design is nice, cosy, minimalistic and clean.

Yes, it's pricey. For the food menu (about 27 small courses) plus the drinks menu (about 10 or 12 drinks), plus a coffee one ends up with a 4000Nok bill or about 500€. But it is so completely worth it. And as mentioned in some previous reviews, one might end up the dinner with room for a bit more:)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

It was humid, I felt sweaty, dirty and tired after a long day and really did not feel like eating at a 2 star michelin restaurant. How wrong was I.

From the moment we arrived, I changed to a completely different person feeling welcomed, pampered and formost appreciated as a guest. I have eaten at quite a lot of star restaurants around the world but I will remember this one.

The 27 courses (more amuse style) were incredible. The whole experience was like a theater. Chefs from all over the world came to our table explaining the dish, the international atmosphere completed the evening. I will not post any pictures of the food (I never make), it was truly an experience to remember. Thanks to our waiter (from Poland, having lived in GB and NL), the Australian tattooed chef (too sexy) and Scottish sommelier (too cute) who advised us great wine (sorry forgot all your names)

It is not cheap but worth for a special/splurge occasion.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Maaemo is the only restaurant in Norway to earn two michelin stars. This, and the fact that it's almost constantly booked 60 days in advance, does what it can to prevent people from eating here. Price and availability.

Should you however decide to do the booking two months before, and be ready to pay the price for the meal you're absolutely in for a treat.

I went here with a few friends and going in I was absolutely certain that whatever magic happened behind those doors it'd never be worth the price we paid. Turns out I was big time wrong - we sat there for more than 5 hours and were treated to 20 (!) courses of absolutely pristine food with drinks to match.

I realized after rolling out of the place that instead of doing this once to take it off my list I'll do it again. And I guess perhaps even again and again. This is simply the best meal/experience I've had in the entire world and I've been eating in a few places. Two thumbs up! :-)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just a quick review of the veggie menu they did just for me.

I was very impressed, the courses were well thought out, with much based on the 'meat' version but all veggie. They must have put a great deal of work into it, amd I was very impressed. The food was delicious, though my favourite course was the brad and beer - proper gourmand here!

Just to comment on one of the other reviews, I was absolutely full at the end of the 27 courses, without being way too full.

Absolutely recommend for a one off, but don't think I will be returning soon, too expensive amd too much of an experience to repeat too often.

1  Thank Light_Oslo