“Nice location & staff, keep an eye on your stuff”
Review of Anker Hotel

Anker Hotel
Ranked #45 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed in the Anker Hotel a couple of weeks, really enjoyed it. Friendly, helpfull staff. Perfect location to discover Oslo 'nightlife'.

The breakfast room isn't very cosy and not the best place to keep your stuff unattended. While i was at the breakfast buffet ( +/- 1 minute) my laptop bag including passport was stolen. There wasn't a camera in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Anker Hotel

Reviewed 25 September 2013

this was a delight to stay at, it was clean, the breakfast was great, the staff were more than helpful (where English permitted). without the front desk staff, I would have been lost the whole time. This Hotel is handy to everything, trains, buses, trams, food shops.

Room Tip: ask for map from train station to hotel, taxis expensive
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Someone booked a two-night stay for me at this hotel located at 55 Storgata in Oslo Norway which in reality is more like a "Hostel". The rooms were Ok and clean but my God the cafeteria or rather the hall where the free breakfast is served is totally "DISGUSTING". The floors were dirty with muddy spots all over the place - a photo is available for upload- there were fruit flies hovering overhead and the whole atmosphere was simply gross, I was afraid to eat there but managed to swallow my oat flakes with the liquid yogurt served out a milk carton. I had arrived on Friday evening and discovered the hellish place on Saturday morning. Now on Sunday morning I went back hoping the Saturday experience was just a fluke, but no, the mud spots were still on the floor and to make matters worse, they had run out of the liquid yogurt at 10:15 AM even though breakfast was being served until 11:00 AM. And things got even worse because I had gone out to find something to eat and returned after their 11:00Am check-out time, I was charged for half a day; a total nightmare, I ended up walking around town, never found a restaurant that served oatmeal and stayed hungry until I picked up a sandwich at the airport.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel even if it is free.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Armelle C
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Nice place in Grunelokka. Breakfast could be better. Generally, it was comfortable accommodation Only wardrobe isn't okey. Price is quite good for Oslo. I walked to the oslo center from hotel. Hotel is not far from city center.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank HCOTR
Reviewed 9 September 2013

For a hotel with a quite central location in Oslo, Anker Hotel offers an accommodation with a relatively affordable price. I stayed in the weekend for a couple days, and found that the hotel is quite nice and clean. We can easily catch the several lines of tram just in short walking distance from of the hotel. Fit well for my needs that just need bed to sleep and spend all the days out, and enjoying Oslo. The hotel also offers luggage storage so that we can maximize the Oslo experience without worrying where to store the luggage after check out.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Working in the travel industry for 22 years with trips around,I have lived in various kinds of hotels, guesthouse, hostels and camp sites. But this one is the only hotel that I will not recommend to anyone within 12 months or even longer time until I have seen the solid improvements that the hotel really care the guests and their property safety. My alert is based on what happened to me and the other Japanese fellow on the same morning in this hotel:
I left 2 bags of the same kind in the lobby luggage room after the reception staff told me only people with luggage tag can get into the luggage room. When I came back in 3 hours after some city tours, my bag with laptop is gone while the other bag is still there intact. I went to the receptionist right away and his first reply is"look at the luggage tag, it said it is at your own responsibility". He is so calm and taking for granted after hearing the bag is missing. By chance there is a couple from Japan who met the same thing that only their bag with laptop is stolen !
Then I was told to report to the central police and the police cannot help anything except a routine filling and asked me go back to their front desk manager. I was feeling so lucky to hear from her that " this is the first reporting of lost luggage in this summer in the hotel " ! The hotel checked the monitor and they did not see anyone taking my bag out of the hotel. So if it is not taken out, where it is then ? I thank you for arranging me the taxi to Oslo S to step on the train to Stockholm in the last minute, but what you should do most is to install monitor in your luggage room to keep off the bad guys or hang a big notice to inform everyone after me that "2 bags with laptop were stolen in a single morning in the luggage room and we do not have monitor yet in the luggage room and it is at your own responsibility to leave your luggage in the luggage room". It is at your own respnsibility does not mean the hotel can be free from the basic responsibility.
I want to remind all travellers particularly Chinese(中国游客注意), Japannese and tourists who will stay here to pay extra attention to all your properties no matter in your guest room or luggage room or any public areas. I wish the hotel install monitors in the luggage room now and thank you for doing that for the benefits of all.

Room Tip: If possible choose another hotel unless you see the monitor in the luggage room and hotel lobby are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank OmniaResor
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was there just for a one night but i was satisfied. Hotel is quite near from the Oslo Central station - by walk maybe 10 minutes, but also you can take a tram which is next to hotel. I didnt have breakfast there but i guess its could be bought for about 50-70 NOK ... friendly staff

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo