“Poor security”
Review of Anker Hotel

Anker Hotel
Ranked #45 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Nice hotel near the city center, but security is rather poor. One day about a dozen rooms were burglarized (including mine) and my notebook computer was gone :-( . Do NOT leave valuables in the room!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cvv
Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Me and my friend stayed in this hotel recently and we were little bit disappointed.
There was a television in the room but you could only watch a TV if you'd pay 170 krone which is about 22€ (not that we came there to watch TV but the weather was pretty bad on the first day and we came back to the hotel at 8pm to have a drink and watch a TV before falling a sleep) but that wasn't possible.
When asking to borrow two wine glasses we were told that they can't do that so we were given two paper cups..
They had little brochure in the room which stated that you can get a toothpaste at reception (we forgot to get it at the airport) so when we went down to ask for it we were told by one of the receptionist who didn't seem to understand much English that there's no toothpaste..
My friend had also forgotten to take her phone charger so when she took her phone with a USB cable to get it charged at reception we were told that she can't help us that we can charge it at the public computers (would you sit at public computer charging a phone for two hours?).. we found this really weird as we both work at hotels and we would never say anything like that to a guest.

I would also mention the cleaner who came to the room at 8am waking us up (it wasn't our check out day)!!

I have to mention one receptionist who's name we can't remember but when we asked for help or had questions in regards to food, things to do or see she was very helpful and very nice and professional.

The hotel itself was alright, very close to the tram and bus station and the breakfast was pretty good :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Anker was ok. Everything was a five minute walk away. Transport was no issue. Not where I would stay with my family, not where I would have a business meeting to impress but if you are looking for a good Internet access, helpful staff, and a good nights sleep. This is not a bad choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I wanted somewhere cheap to stay for a few days so booked this place as it was quite cheap but I was expecting a basic 'you get what you pay for' hotel but it was a lot nicer than I expected, big clean, not grubby old or run down in any way, staff were friendly, buffet breakfast was lovely and our room was clean big warm and a lot better than what I was expecting!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We arrived in Rygge Airport Oslo around 4pm Christmas eve, caught the bus from the airport to the city costing us about £15 per person very expensive it took about 45 mins, getting around Oslo is a little difficult as well as the street signs aren’t very clear and its just quite confusing. I found that not many people spoke English as well which made it more difficult to get around. We checked into the hotel and the man at the front desk was very helpful, informed us of what food places are open and what time is breakfast etc. There was maps at the front counter for free as well very helpful !!

The room was nice and clean, modern looking with shelf space for clothes to be folded and to be hun up as well. The bathroom was tiny but all you really need for hotel room I think. The bed was very comfortable, the curtains were great and blocked out the light and there was a flat screen plasma TV on the wall as well which had great signal and a few good channels with movies all in English as well. The breakfast was great nice buffet with cereals, breads to toast, spreads, cheeses, meats, sausages, eggs , juices , tea and coffee.
We went for a walk around the area near the hotel and it seemed a little doggy at night time there was a lot of people stopping us asking us to buy drugs and following us for a while as well, so I’d suggest to not walk around there at night !!

We went to the Tryvann Ski Part and it was great, we had to get the subway from Oslo there then a bus up the mountain its quite costly though so if you go for a few days get a 3 day pass etc to make it cheaper !! The ski slopes are perfect for beginners and even quite decent for intermediates skiers and snowboarders.

P.S - We only paid £285 for 4 nights so do your research on the net before booking through any site

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Me and 3 friends went to Norway for a few days to see the last ever a-ha concert (sob sob) and needed a hotel that catered for 3 people sharing the same room. This came up at just over £30 each per night and knowing the prices in Norway, we weren't expecting much. We got a taxi from the central train station as we weren't too sure of the way plus we had heavy luggage and it cost about £11 for the journey.

We were very pleased with the room, 3 single beds in a row with quite a bit of space around them. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean. Just a small fault, I used my plastic cup in the bathroom for a cold drink and it was thrown away by the cleaner after the first day and not replaced. It was very cold in Oslo when we went, about -17 but the room was very toasty. In fact, we had to turn the heating off in the night.

Breakfast was included in the price and had a good selction, there was also a bar with very reasonable prices - alcohol is very expensive in Norway. Also had free wi-fi in the hotel which was great to use our i-phones but it was a little tempermental at times. There was no restuarant so we always had to go out to eat.

The area was ok, perhaps a bit dodgy for Oslo but when you think of any other major city, it was fine. It took us about 10 minutes to walk from the hotel to the station and we did not need to catch any buses or trams.

It was a good, clean hotel which was very good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I work for a company in Oslo. My co workers were actually concerned about the location of the hotel. It is a known bad section, you can tell by the graffiti, youth hostel, and other signs. Also, there is a hospital across the street where all the people go after they O.D. (no kidding, saw many going in) The hotel staff is young, friendly, and somewhat helpful. The rooms are small, but clean. No noise, there is a big bar that 20 somethings go to.
On the upside I really did not think I was in danger but I live in Boston. The crime rate is way worse, so it is what you are used to I guess. The rooms were clean, but if you can afford another hotel do so. If you are female take cabs.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business