“Convenient hotel to city and airport train”

Comfort Hotel Grand Central
Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We wanted to stay near the train station and this was a good choice. Finding the hotel though was a challenge be great to have a picture on the website with a map of the station. We came in on a different platform from the airport so probably didn't help. It is in the old station building and just straight towards the city of coming in on the normal airport platforms on the right before you leave the old building is MacDonalds and on the left is the hotel - past a cafe. Reception doesn't look normal - looks like a cafe for drinks and has self service kiosks so can be tricky as not sure where the hotel is. Check in once we found the hotel was easy and free wifi was good. The room was funky and nicely designed. We would have preferred a safe particularly as it was a new hotel - but maybe not normal in Oslo? Breakfast was fantastic - lots too choose from and very nice. Easy and convenient to catch the train.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank escape123
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear escape123. Thank you for your informative and detailed description/feedback to all my future guests which I am sure will benefit from the information.
I owe you one as we as a new hotel isn’t not well enough known and description signs inside Oslo Central Station is not possible or allowed to be put up.
My new roof signs lightening up both Karl Johan and Opera side of my building, but in this matter not helpful since its from the outside. But with few minutes walk to your train it’s a easy return home after a stay with us. We are challenging the traditional model for a business hotel and we`re sincerely glad you all enjoyed staying with us and I really look forward having you back as my guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,961)

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed here 28 December for 3 nights based on TA reviews and we could not have picked better, a great hotel which must be one of the best £ for £ we have ever used.

Approximately £80 per night per room inc. breakfast is great value in Oslo, add into the equation the excellence of the hotel overall and you feel you got a great deal. We arrived early before our room was ready which was ok as they offered to store our bags and offered us free tea or coffee which is free all day every day. If you paid an extra 100NOK then the room was available there and then, but it is optional. We had lunch and then did a walking tour then returned and went to our room, there were no towels, I rang reception and within 3 minutes they were delivered. The room was cold too (minus 7 outside) and the radiator wasn't working, we waited before unpacking and it stayed cold despite turning up the room stat. I went to reception and they upgraded us without prompting immediately. The new room was slightly bigger, same style and layout, everything was perfect with it. The workmanship of the decor / fittings is spot on, real tradesmen have worked in these rooms, the tiling especially is unbelievably good (sad i know but i'm a diy fan!).

The staff are brilliant, the food for breakfast is simple but tasty with lots of choice from hot bacon egg and tomato to fruit, cereal, bread, cheeses and ham, salad and smoked trout! There is an ice machine on each floor for free use to use with drinks in your room.

The location is perfect, 1 minute from the station and 1 minute from tourist info and the underground. You actually do not have to go outside from the train to the room, it is in the same building! Do not be put off by noise, the rooms are 100% soundproof.

The beds are so comfy, there is free wifi all around the hotel and it is a great signal, there are even free macs in reception to use at your leisure. The hotel is immaculately clean, at all times even when there is 6 inches of snow outside.

All in all one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in, we would not hesitate recommending it or using it again when we return to Oslo, in fact I wish I was there now. Get it booked you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Room 339 looks over the square and directly up Karl Johann Gate, superb view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ashdec
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear ashdec,

Happy new year to you and yours. Thank you for your informative and detailed review.
As General Manager of Comfort Hotel Grand Central I am grateful and happy to read my colleagues has taken good care of you during your stay with us.

All the best in the new year and we all hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

If location, location, location is the important issue in property, this hotel has it all. Inside the central train station with its own outside entrance, and at the end of one of the main shopping streets, it could not be more convenient. The wallpaper/paintings are somewhat amazing and although the rooms are almost cell-like that Scandinavian gift for detail transforms them into an interesting and very pleasant experience. Perhaps if you take your religious icons very seriously you may want to choose your customised room or avoid altogether. Should you want to spend more than the relatively good value price for a normal small room, there is a choice of huge, high-ceiling rooms with bathrooms big enough to hold a party in. The corridors can be very long depending on the location of your room and the lift to some stops short leaving you carrying heavy suitcases up six or eight steps. Breakfast is pleasant and finishes quite early at 9.30, well insulated from noise and cold, wifi is excellent and free and the staff - mostly young people - could not be nicer.

Room Tip: Check if the lift stops on your floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear Aerobix

Thank you for a very good review. Good in the way of your detailed facts from your experience as my guest.
We tell our guests; “that you save an hour by staying so close to the airport
express. That's an hour you can spend however you like. A workout? A beer with an
old friend? Or perhaps you'll make an earlier plane so that you can kiss your children
goodnight. It's up to you”

With that in mind we`re happy you felt the central location suited you good. What made me really happy was you comment of my dear colleagues.
They will receive a copy of your comment and a BIG thank you from me personally, I`m sure they will be as delighted as me reading your feedback.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I stayed at the hotel in early December. Fantastic location, literally a part of the station complex. The airport shuttle train is a mere 5 minute walk away. I very much like the design of the hotel -which appears to be a converted former station building. Many of the features have been converted into pieces of furniture from items of equipment presumably left in the old building. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the beds a little narrow - but that seems to be the way in Norway. I also found the chap on the front desk very friendly and helpful. Access to public transport is right outside - bus and tram stops, together with a Tourist Office. Karl Johan's Gate is also very near. Excellent value for a short stay in Olso.

Room Tip: Ideal if you are looking to take the airport shuttle train to the main Oslo airport.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jon G

Dear jon G

Thank you for sharing valuable and detailed information during you stay with us.
Welcome back to Comfort Hotel Grand Central in Oslo and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

NEw hotel located right in teh city centre with few minutes walk from the train station. Excellent rooms. Despite its central location there is no noise.
The only negative factor is the porr breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank noreen_11
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Noreen_11,
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us.
The “Super Sunday” concept with late check-out 6pm included in the room rate is my favorite Guest service element at my hotel. Glad you liked it as well.

We welcome you back, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed for two nights in early December. Location is great which the hotel's principal attraction.My room was very small and basic - only dispensed soap supplied, no tissues or bath mat. Excellent Wi-Fi throughout.Flat Screen T.V but mostly Nordic channels. Breakfast good average but finishes at 09.30 which is a little early. In summary a good location for a short stay but nothing out of the ordinary

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DERRATH
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear DermotMB,
Thank you for your stay with us. The fact that it is possible to walk indoors from the hotel room to the flight home will hopefully be a long term success factor for many of my guests through a cold and snowy Oslo winter. We will consider new breakfast hours January 2013. Thank you. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I arrived in Oslo central train station and had difficulties finding the hotel that I have booked. I asked a few people and nobody seems to know where it is. I went into Comfort Grand Central and asked for directions. Emelie Hamberg was the staff manning the front desk on that day. Although I was not a guest staying at the hotel, she was still extremely helpful and helped me find the hotel on the google map. But I was not very confident of getting to the correct location being first time in Oslo. So I decided to stay in Comfort Grand Central as I believed that it would be a great stay with staff like Emelie. And it was great. The room was converted into triple sharing very quickly. I love the breakfast spread and the wifi was very good. Emelie was also very helpful when we were leaving the hotel for Tromso. Thank you Emelie for making my stay so pleasant!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Esther T,
As General Manager of Comfort Hotel Grand Central, I read your Trip Advisor feedback with reverence and respect. Our dear colleague Emilie live here up to all the Nordic Choice Hotels values we all strive for and dream to give our guests on a daily basis. It is touching to read that due to the good service you chose to book your night with us. Thank you. We`ll share your feedback on our monthly staff meeting and Emilie will be rewarded for having given you great service and a good stay with us.

Thank you for sharing this story Esther T.