“The BEST location, service and value in Oslo”

Comfort Hotel Grand Central
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Oslo, Norway
“The BEST location, service and value in Oslo”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is by far the best Comfort hotel in Norway, and one of the best hotels in Oslo.

Location: Inside the old terminal building of Oslo Central Station. Easy access to the airport express train and all other trains, busses, trams and metros.

Service: The best in Oslo!!! I have more than 60 nights at Choice hotels each year, and the service at this hotel is exceptional. Everyone working here go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

Value: Between NOK600-1000.- per night for a standard room is a bargain in Oslo if you combine location, service and value. Breakfast is included in the web fares, but if you`re not eating breakfast the low-price calender fares are probably a better option. When that is said, the breakfast is great.

Rooms: The rooms vary in size, but are all nicely decorated. My pictures are from suite 332.

Room Tip: 337 is a very nice room. Views to Karl Johans gate. The rooms facing the Oslo fjord, have views o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank oslo000
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear oslo000.
Undersigned and all my dear employees sends you a humble and warm thank you for the pleasant feedback. Hope we see you soon again here at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

Gratifying Easter to you and yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Pros
1) Good location. The rail station is just beside it. Opera House is walking distance and so are the rest of the shopping malls.
2) Great breakfast. I read the earlier comments about the poor breakfast quality. I think either the breakfast has been improved or my standards are lower than the other reviewers. There are more hot food than cold food but the variety and quality was decent.
3) There is a gym. Nothing fanciful but the weight and cardio machines are pretty new. Dumbbells go up to only 40lbs if i remember correctly.
4) Checkout time was 6pm on Sundays. That's pretty cool.
5) Wifi speed was very good.

Cons
1) The pillow was way too small
2) The sound insulation was bad. I stayed in Room 502 and I can hear other visitors going through the access door pretty clearly. There were also some retards making merry on Easter eve just outside the hotel and it woke me up.
3) Working table was too small relative to the size of the room
4) Full length mirror could have been placed nearer to the entrance for practicality purpose.
5) Motion sensor lights for the toilet was pretty annoying. THe light went off even when i was bathing and I can't (or maybe i didn't know) switch off the lights when i want to.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear cwong2910,

Thank you for your stay with us. And thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
Thanks for your kind feedback!

Cons:
1. We will improve the quality of pillows, I agree with you. I will order new ones in April.
2. We will improve the sound insulation in some room, it's already a project running on.
3. Thank you for your feedback. Important for us to know what you want to have as my guest.
4. Unfortunately I have screwed the mirrors a bit too tightly to move them now.
5. Reducing the energy consumption(Carbon footprint) of the hotel is important for us and the environment, hence we have chosen this solution which can be inconvenient if you are quiet in the room more than 3 minutes. Automatic light adjustment has its positive and negative sides

Thank you for making us better. Hope your trip home went well and that we see you as our guest also next time!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 March 2013

When I do city trips, I try and find places that are a little bit out of the ordinary, a little bit quirky, with character and style, at a price that doesn't cause tears. I just spent 3 nights on a mini-break, with my brother, in Oslo, and we had a truly outstanding time staying at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

Our room was astonishing, with a heart-stopping view of the Opera House through our two enormous windows (see pic). It was super-stylish, enormous, with fabulous design touches, from the exposed brick wall to the lamps, the Union Jack table to the largest bath tub on earth.

The staff were all unfailingly polite, helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. All young, hip, and charming.

There's free coffee and tea, strong wifi, a gym area, an utterly delicious buffet breakfast with a fabulous selection of muesli, seeds, fruits, eggs, bacon, salamis, smoked salmons, Norwegian crispbreads, the famous Norwegian dark cheese, and endless coffee. I tell you what my brother and I found so endearing: someone has written a little note giving you the history and provenance of the food! I mean, seriously, how often have you been to a hotel where they tell you which farm the bacon is from?

Can I find any fault in this place? I am really trying to find something negative to say, for balance, but I can't think of anything. The area around the hotel is, er, a bit "urban" and "gritty," but you can't come to a modern, vibrant European city and not expect a little Saturday night grittiness.

I also appreciated the hotel's attempts to reduce their carbon footprint. In the hallways, the lights come on by sensor when you walk through them, and also in the bathrooms.

Finally, prior to staying here, I spent 5 nights at The Grand Hotel for a work meeting. Yes, I know, The Grand is rather posh and Obama stayed there when he won his Nobel Peace Prize, and it's all very fancy.....but I had much more fun at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central, as it is way more relaxed and unique.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Opera House. Once in a lifetime views...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gavin Y
My dear guest Gavin Y,
Thanks to you and your brother for choosing the Comfort Hotel Grand Central during your days in Oslo. This is highly appreciated!
Awesome nice to read that your Oslo days was successful and that you were happy with your stay with us. I gathered all of my colleagues today, read your kind words for my beloved employees and the energy was lifted through the roof! Such guest experiences is what we work for and dream about every day. Hope your trip home was safe and problem-free.

I hope you and your loved ones come back to us also in the future. Thank you!
San Clemente, CA
Reviewed 24 March 2013

As stated in other reviews, this location is fantastic, affording connections to every kind of transit in Oslo. We found the rooms, especially the larger, upgraded room we were given, to be outstanding. Most of all, the front desk staff was outstanding - to a person. I only wish hotel in the US could provide this kind of consistent, professional and warm service.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room facing on the plaza in front of train station.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SPGLoyalist,
Your kind feedback warms our hearts! We promise to work hard for maintain good product and service quality for you and yours also in the future. We look forward to seeing you both soon again as our guest at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We've chosen Grand Central based on excellent reviews on booking.com.
Pros:
- central location, excellent access to city conter and airport,
- great breakfast
- new, clean & quiet,
Cons:
- distant and complex access to some rooms,
- small rooms (at least no 349 and neighbouring),

So acclaimed design is disputable.

Room Tip: Choose room close to the lift.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Rafal_at_TripAdv,

At the hotel's behalf, I thank you for choosing the Comfort Hotel Grand Central to accommodate your stay in Oslo.

Your room 349 has a historical fun-fact, this room in the "red house" is actually Oslo and Norway's first railway station, built in 1854. Expanded in 1884, to the building that today is Oestbanehallen.

Hope I get the pleasure of seeing you as my guests also at the next opportunity.
Happy Easter to you and yours.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

We were so glad we didn't have to get out into the cold on the day we checked in and on the day we left. Hotel is v nice, clean and modern. It's one of the rare hotels in Norway that offers a full size bathtub. Love it!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank MrGoh
Dear MrGoh,

Thank you for your stay at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central. And thanks for the great feedback on TripAdvisor. I hope we see you soon again.
Antalya, Turkey
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This hotel is all about location: you simply can not find one that is better located, right in the centre, literally within the train station, easy to reach, at walking distance to nearly everything that Oslo has to offer. So do not hesitate to go there if your stay needs to be practical and at easy reach!

Pros:
A formidable staff, exceptionally all people at the lobby/reception, always smiling, ready to help you no matter what, 7/24!
Cool design, not as impressive as you would have thought by reading earlier posts in this thread, but still eye catching.
Clean rooms/bathrooms. My room was large enough, but also saw some really small ones, however still easy to use. (Remember: NO cupboards and minibar in bedrooms)
Good internet
Descent fitness centre

Cons:
Extremely disappointing breakfast, cold eggs and bacon, not too many choices, a bit like eat-and-leave spirit.
Cool lobby, but thats just about it. The hotel being quite popular, it can get quite crowdy, and not really a lot of space for sitting and/or chilling before/after getting to the hotel. No lobby bar either.

Oslo is an extremely expensive city, and hotels are naturally expensive as well. I have stayed in other budget hotels in Oslo, and I can confidently say that it is worth paying a bit more to stay in this one.

Overall, this hotel is good, as long as you know that you will not spend too much time in it, just sleep and leave.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tolga O
Dear Tolga O,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
We tell our guests that they save an hour by staying so close to the airport express. That's an hour you can spend however you like. A workout? A beer with an old friend? Or perhaps you'll make an earlier plane so that you can kiss your children goodnight.

I will improve the heating elements at breakfast. New in March is that we make homemade scrambled eggs, and it's served hot. Thanks for the breakfast feedback, this is also sent on a copy to my restaurant manager.

Look forward to seeing you soon again as my guest!