“Beautiful, Old world elegance.”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 19 May 2009

This hotel has one of the most beautiful lobbies in Oslo. The old world elegance is exceptional and the hotel is filled with antiques and luxurious furnishings in its common areas. There is a spa and business meeting rooms. Food was good (not great) and service was adequate (not excellent). One of the highlights is: a spectacular high tea is held in the lobby every afternoon -- very tasty and the best meal we had there. The lobby appears to be a terrific gathering place for affluent over 50 Oslo residents. Lots of meeting for drinks, etc. with an affluent middle aged crowd.

Rooms are well appointed ... bathrooms are nicely refurbished. Nice new TV but nothing else (no alarm clock, no radio). This place has a good central location within walking distance of the train station, the major museums and the main shopping district of Oslo.

Note: There are NO bellhops to help with luggage (something we have a feeling is common in Scandinavia). Views are non-existent -- many of the rooms face an alley and the views are often blocked in the ones that do face the street (we stayed in two different rooms here). Also, there is a bar on the side street that is extremely noisy at night so, if you face this side of the building, keep your windows closed! There is no free internet access with the exception of a small, stuffy (locked) office in an out of the way corner of the lobby where there is a single, very old computer you can access the internet from -- very 1990s.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maggiesmagic
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed 16 April 2009

Be sure not to have a room opposite to the London's pub or use ear plugs. There is a disco beat untill very late and people talking on the street there. (room 381)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
8  Thank Darboukafan
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Clean, well-appointed room, comfortable bed - very quiet. Lively public spaces with a piano bar and lounge with live band and dancing! Excellent staff - went out of their way to help me book train tickets. When we left the next morning just before breakfast was served, they had packed one for us to go - bread, cheese yogurt, fruit, for us to take on the train. Very thoughtful and considerate.
Great spa, sauna - wonderfully relaxing. The buffet breakfast was superb, with regional specialties and an amazing array of choices.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank multiculturalgirl
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I only stayed at the Bristol for one night because I was going to be staying with family after that. I booked based on online reviews, location and price. In the future if I am not able to stay with relatives, I will definitely stay at the Bristol again.

I loved everything about the hotel- it is only a couple of blocks from Karl Johan and an easy walk to many great places. It was clean and classy with lots of antiques, but felt very comfortable. Both private and welcoming.

I had a charming single room on the fourth floor, overlooking the front street. The bed was large and comfortable, there were two chairs, a desk, and it was lovely to sit at the marble windowsill and look below or read. After reading some reviews online, I was a bit concerned about what the bathroom would be like; all I can say now is that some people will complain about anything. The bathroom was modern yet typical of those I found in Norway- the shower had a glass partition (was not fully enclosed, which I liked), the floor is heated, and it was simple and clean. After traveling since Friday morning from Boston and getting to Norway Saturday, it felt like one of the best showers of my life!

Everyone I encountered who worked at the hotel was professional and polite. The desk staff was very helpful and friendly- they accommodated both early check-in and a late check-out, the bartender was personable (even though he was very busy on Saturday night), and the cleaning staff was friendly (I hate it when I stay in a hotel and the maids don't meet eyes when you walk by or say hello).

I have seen some comments complaining about street noise. Oslo gets wild on weekend nights, and there are very rowdy people out until 3-4:00am. Yes, you could hear the noise in my room, and it would have been distracting if I was trying to sleep (or if I had been traveling with children). My advice would be to join the party and make some noise yourself (I had a fantastic night at bars and clubs- a great way to get over jetlag!), request a room not on the front street, or stay in a quieter part of the city (near Oslo S). Incidentally, the noisy bar with loud music on the main level of the hotel could be heard throughout the stairways and halls of the Bristol, but didn't make a peep in my room.

For what it's worth, I am a 27 year old single woman and this was my first trip to Norway. Staying at the Bristol my first night in this amazing country was an excellent choice.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank annaburns
Reviewed 20 November 2008

The hotel is in a great location, just a few metres from the main street.

I found it warm and cosy. Our room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable.

The breakfast was excellent with lots of variety.

Overall, very good, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cl0ver
Reviewed 17 November 2008

I've stayed at the Bristol a bunch of times on business trips to Oslo. Typical 4 star. Nothing special. I get the feeling that it's mostly full of business travellers. It's quite plush and old-worldly, if you like that sort of thing. Only once was the room very small and the bed a single set into an alcove. No kettles in the rooms. It's worth joining the Thon group membership. The reward scheme is good and you get free internet as a member - otherwise it is unreasonably expensive. Rooms are expensive too if you book late. I've had absolutely no problems with the staff. I will prefer to stay at the less fancy but at least as functional Rica Victoria, which is cheaper and let's me make my own cup of tea.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank barefootboogie
Reviewed 28 August 2008

A real palace: great lobby, very nice atmosphere, nice restaurant, great location, big room (but they are all different), top-notch service, there is even a spa.

So, why not 5/5? Because there were some details that are slightly worrying for a quite expansive five-star hotel:

-the style is a bit old and the room wasn't perfectly clean, it could have been better
-we had some problems with our TV, some channels and services didn't work well

But overall, a very good hotel in Oslo, I would recommend it without hesitating.

• Stayed: August 2008