“Cannot recommend highly enough”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Dublin
“Cannot recommend highly enough”
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Do not hesitate to book this hotel - I did after reading some of the reviews here, but as soon as I walked into the spectacular old lobby, I wondered where the negative reviews came from. The Hotel Bristol is the perfect place for a break in Oslo.
The lobby is the perfect place to unwind with a drink after a day's sightseeing, and our room was a good size, clean and quiet (after reading some reviews, I emailed before arriving requesting a quiet room). The best part of the stay was the buffet breakfast, which was by far the best I have ever had in any European hotel - the selection was outstanding, and it was a welcome relief in a country where eating in restaurants is so expensive.
The hotel is in a perfect location, just off Karl Johans Gate, which is surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants, and the ultra trendy Aker Brygge harbour area (thoroughly recommended for food/drinks) is a 5-minute walk. The hotel is perfect for gay travellers as the 3 gay bars of Oslo are a few doors away. All I'll say about Norwegian prices is believe what you read (I went thinking they'd be similar to those in Sweden/Denmark - they're way higher!). You will pay €10 on average for a pint/bottle of beer or glass of wine (finding a good bottle of wine below €40 in any restaurant was the most frustrating part).
As for sightseeing, we really enjoyed Vigeland Park and viewing 'The Scream' at the Munch Museum. The Viking Museum is also worth the trip, but only if you have the time. Oslo has a great transport system, so most sights are a quick trip away. If you're looking (or willing to pay crazily) to shop, Bogstadveien (near Vigeland) had great shops away from the main ones along Karl Johans Gate.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Byron31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Hebrew first
Arundel
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We stayed at the Bristol on our way to and from a trip to the north of Norway. We chose it for our return, as a review stated that they had been very accomodating about keeping luggage after checkout.
This is a lovely hotel with a beautiful reception/library/ lounge and restaurant on the ground floor. There are plenty of extremely helpful staff and a lovely ambience. We rarely like hotel lounges, however beautifully decorated, but this is a wonderful place to relax and read, have a drink, meet friends - anything you like! The food is excellent - quite the best breakfast we've been offered for a very long time. We also had a most enjoyable dinner on our first evening.

yaya41
Reviewed 17 February 2010

The Hotel Bristol Oslo is hystorical and typical Norwegian. Unfortunately, the lobby and the common areas need some renovation. On the other hand, the rooms are quite new with very nice bathrooms even though if you have back pain you will have hard time sleeping on their beds. The mattress was VERY old and with zero back support. The good thing about this hotel is the value you get. For a very modest price we had a very nice room and a HUGE full breakfast. It s located right in the city centre and 100mt from the airport express bus stop. If you are looking for something convenient, great value and historical, this hotel is for you. But for 4 stars of course, it could have been more luxury. Staff was ok even though not very knowledged.

Scotland
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I would definitely recommend a stay at the Bristol. Warm and welcoming lobby, turn of the century decor, with chandeliers everywhere, unique olde-worlde charm. Winter garden with tea, cakes on one side of lobby and old library on other with bar. We stayed in a room on the 3rd floor facing the back of the building, no view to speak of, but very quiet, this is a good thing as there can be noise from the pub across the street. Rooms are beautifully furnished and beds very comfortable, underfloor heating in bathroom. Welcome gift of carafe of ice water and chocolates. Staff very helpful. Breakfasts are amazing and in the evening we dined at the Bristol Grill, had reindeer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would not even bother to look for another hotel in Oslo, if I were to return, I would love to stay there again!

sydney
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Wonderful old Victorian building, I felt like I stepped back in time. It seems like a happening place with a cafe, bistro restaurant and bar. Having said that the hotel was a little undermined by other facets: beware, the bar fridge is automated, so if you remove anything from it for too long, you maybe automatically billed for it (it does have a notice to warn you not to use it as a fridge). If you want cold drinks each floor has an ice machine. The free internet access is 4 hours per night’s stay. The room was fairly big; large bathroom, plenty of closet space. The staff were courteous, but some didn’t feel genuinely friendly - maybe they could smell I wasn’t part of the bourgeousie. Nice location, around the corner from the National Art Gallery, smack dab in the middle of the theatre district. It is a bit of a walk from the train station (without suitcases it’s fine). Plenty of places to eat to suit all kinds of budgets. The breakfast was good - waffles are great, but get in early for a seat as it is a small breakfast room. Not sure I’d stay here again or recommend it. If you do like old, vintage buildings then stay here, but if you would prefer a hotel that offers free 24hr internet access to a monogrammed sticker on your toilet paper, then don’t. And one night from 9pm till 3am my room reverberated with dance music; I am not sure if there was a nightclub nearby or it came from within the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank meegee
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2010

The hotel is central. The lobby is all chesterfield wing backs and gentleman's club. Sweeping staircases and regal fittings. Room was good- loved the heated floor tiles in bathroom. Yesbedroom floor is laminate which does jar BUT with all the snow I dragged in (unintentionally) understandable. I stayed 8 nights and loved it. WARNING doubles in Scandanavian hotels means twins pushed together!!! For reasons unknown to me double beds are scarce even in private homes.

The service was rather disappointing -wait staff were incredibly lax. I had lunch one day (the hotel JUMPS at lunch time) and after 20 minutes I hadn't received a menu. The waitress had been chatting to a couple nearby for most of that time- I had to ask a supervisor looking person for help. Similarly at dinner one night I was ignored for a similar length of time. I'm not oneof those hurry- up people but a female on her own does feels trifle less inclined to take two hours for dinner. The menu at night is rather limited - four main courses - so I often ate out which is fine. Cost reflects No prices expect to pay around aud80 for a vin ord and about aud60 for a main. Breakfast was free and plentiful.

Broadband is free and wireless virtually free- the fab staff gave me as many vouchers for wireless as I wanted! Free bfast and Internet means a saving of around aus40 to me so consider that in yr too
price. I paid around aud200 pnight which I thought was fair - remember tax is about 25%.

All in all I would def stay again. Front desk staff were A+++. I wasn't sure because of mixed reviews but I would heartily recommend!!!

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank entjohns51
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2010

TripAdvisor reviews of Oslo hotels are very mixed and so we spent a lot of time considering which place to stay, and in the end gambled on the Bristol. We were happy with the choice. The room was clean and comfortable, the hotel ambience traditional and festive for Christmas. The hotel was well heated, and we were able to open our room window as we needed for any ventilation. Our room had a vestibule for hanging coats etc, and this reduced hallway noise to zero, but the wall to the adjoining room was a bit thin and we could hear their tv. Thankfully the neighbours kept reasonable hours and went to sleep about when we wanted, so we didn't have to deal with partying teens etc. The hotel restaurant served traditional Christmas foods and these were done well. The buffet breakfast was very good and we pilfered liberally to make packed lunches. Internet was free. The hotel itself is very well located in the centre of the city, and Oslo itself is a beautiful city that is easy to get around. Overall we found this a good hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family