“Old-world hotel with face-lift, overpriced (as all things are in Norway)”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Hudson Valley, NY
“Old-world hotel with face-lift, overpriced (as all things are in Norway)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

This is a good hotel, just off the Karl Johans Gate (Oslo's 5th Avenue), but a bit off to the side. The rooms are relatively well-proportioned, but many face a LOUD disco. If you want a decent night's sleep, request a room facing away from it. No a/c (not that you really need it in Oslo), but that disco noise would be muffled slightly with it (and provide ventilation). The breakfast buffet is gigantic, with lots of choices, and the desk staff is polite and eager to help. As all things in Norway, this place ain't cheap, and (as all things are in Norway) nowhere near what you pay for it. The good news is that, if you're a member of the Thon Hotels network, you can get a 10% reduction on your stay anywhere in their chain.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank olliedawg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Good Location (Grand Hotel is in an even better one though) and through the rather small entrance usually unmanned or manned with an unhelpful proter , the Bristol Lobby is magnificent ceilings and lots and lots of Norwegian and souvenir tat and pictures from the better days all over the place. Slightly more staff than in other hotels so one can truly classify this hotel as about a 4 Star. The library bar is one of the most comfortable ones and lovel;y around and the light food and famous open sandwiches are well known appreciated in Oslo, my Norwegian friends tell me. That whole area used to be a dinner-dance in the old days.

On our first arrival ,as one of us is mobility impaired and rather large ,they gave us the requested appropriate room, but it was totally ridiculous...we couldn't even fit one of us in the bed much less two! They upgraded us very pleasantly ,after a little while wait, to a suite on the top floor with a bed that some huge Royal must have slept in (or on)many years ago. Terribly uncomfortable mattress with so much rococo on the baseboard it was impossible to see the humongous flat screen TV they had in the living room ,visible to all. However, the hotel has no air-conditioning and it was very hot .With open windows the street noise was absurd and lasted until 6am. Norwegians party quite seriously in down town Oslo on week ends so beware if you arrive then ask for rooms at the back ! Other than that furnishings in the room were adequately old to play the part and reasonably comfortable and clean. Low marks for the bathroom however, it's tiny tiny....but modernised with a slippery walk in shower section and terrific shower head but no big deal for a suite which should have much larger facilities!

On our second arrival, after an absence for a few days, they saw that one of us struggles with 2 walking sticks but they put us in a room which was very far away from the lift and a tiny but modernised bathroom which had no walk in shower and a contortionist would have done a much better job in getting into the shower/tub\, much less a disabled guest Very bad front office management of a return guest.

Breakfast is a horror story. Not so much for the content but for the huge rooms its served in and groups. The group rates must be excellent as the hotel seemed and was full.

In summary a pleasant place if you like refurbishment on a low budget oldie but be sure to get an inside facing back ,room or have sleepless nights. This hotel has seen better days and even now as a member of Norway's moderatelygood Thon chain it needs a thorough re-overhaul! What few staff that do exist here ,though some might be inefficient, but they sure are very pleasant and personable. However my advise is :better stay at the Grand hotel if you like this sort of place. For the same price it really is a better deal in a better location! If you can get a reservation!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron F
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Stayed for two nights during my vacation around Scandinavia. The location of the hotel is perfect as a base of operations for the exploration of Oslo sights. Most tourist places such as the Royal Palace, the shopping areas, City Hall, and the National Museum are all within easy walking distance. The harbor is also quite close, and from there, you can take a ferry to other museums in Bygdoy. I had a car with me, but left it in their garage for the two days because it was easier to walk around than to drive.

The services by the staff was quite good. They made sure my car was parked and retrieved in a timely fashion, and everything at the front desk was smooth. However, it did feel a bit cookie-cutter, but that's not necessarily negative. I think by making interactions feel more personal, the service can go from good to great.

While the decorations in the lobby, bar/lounge, hallways, and dining room were absolutely amazing, the rooms themselves were quite plain in comparison. The room size was typical European, with just enough space for a bed, closet, desk, chair, and TV. The bed was fairly comfortable to sleep in, and the view was of the back of other buildings. I've certainly stayed in much better 5-star rooms, but I don't think the hotel could really improve them much without extensive renovation.

Breakfast was served in a series of elegant dining rooms, and the food selection was standard for a full Scandinavian breakfast. It was definitely a good way to get you energized for a full day of exploration. The hotel restaurant was undergoing renovation during the summer so I can't comment on it.

Overall, if you're looking for a good central base to explore Oslo, Hotel Bristol works well as a location. It can be pricey (as everything is in Oslo), but if you can find some deals, it is well worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Great location, usually (but not always) great staff. Have stayed here half a dozen times over the past few years and usually it's pretty good. The rooms are really different -- this time I ended up with a small room facing another building with windows looking in so I had to keep the curtains closed all the time. Ask for room with a view -- if you're staying a few days you might ask to see a couple rooms before taking one.

Amenities were not regularly replaced and one day, the room was not cleaned at all even though I left the room at 8:30am and didn't return for 12 hours. I've not had such bad service before, so hopefully you won't have this experience. The strange thing this time was that the hotel was booked and paid directly so I thought I'd get a nicer room than I usually do when I book through a website (hotels.com or expedia.com). But this was the least nice room I've had and the worst service from housekeeping.

The lobby has a very nice, old world, library part -- nice to sit and have tea or read.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Sutton, Surrey, UK.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

I had a fantastic experience at the Hotel Bristol. Friendly and efficient check-in, superbly appointed room with all the facilities and amenities you could wish for, and all high quality. Very comfortable bed. Free high-speed wi-fi (why can't all hotels offer this?). Buffet breakfast offered a great range, including cooked-to order egg dishes (which, unfortunately I didn't have time for). Location is excellent too, just a few minutes' walk from the harbour, the National Theatre and the transport connections. If I had to give a downside, it would be that one of the two elevators was out of order, and the other was very busy...just a consequence of me trying to go to breakfast and check-out at the same time as lots of other people. Overall, I would not hesitate this for both business and leisure visitors to Oslo.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

The Lobby at the Hotel Bristol is charming. The rooms, the service and the front desk are not. In fact, this is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at. Except for the bellman Sukvinder, the staff was dismissive and rude. We were booked into a room where the air filtration system did not work. It was hot out and there was no a/c in the hotel. The staff blame this on the fact that it is 100 years old. Not exactly a good excuse. When we were shown the next room, we had to walk up two flights of stairs because the elevator did not go to that floor. When we asked for a room where the elevator went, the manager said curtly they did not have any other rooms and he could call another hotel, but we would have to pay to take a taxi there. Finally, another clerk intervened and we got a room. The rooms themselves are small, stuffy, with tiny bathrooms and no amenities. There is no soap, just a soap dispenser--no shampoo, no other toiletries. The beds are small and lumpy. This is a fairly expensive hotel. It is definitely no bargain--particularly if you look beyond the lobby.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Humres32
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

I did a lot of research before we went to Oslo and based on TripAdvisor, Fodor's and Frommers, we chose to stay at the Hotel Bristol. I booked my room on Expedia which were the best rates I could find. I am very happy with my decision.

Upon arrival in Oslo, we took the express train (Flytoget) from the airport to the National Theater area (not the main station Oslo S). We walked approximately 3 blocks to get to the Bristol. The hotel was very easy to find, and with our luggage on rollers, the walk was no issue.

The Bristol did accommodate my request to have a room that was not near the pub traffic. I had read in multiple reviews that people had heard lots of disruptions when the bar lets out at night. Unfortunately, my parents were not given that same courtesy. They did hear noise, but luckily they are hard sleepers so they easily went back to bed.

We stayed in 2 different rooms as we left for 1 night and travelled to the west side of Norway (Aurland) to see the fjords, which I would HIGHLY recommend. The hotel was great about storing our luggage overnight while we were gone.

Our initial room was 661 which was small with no closet, but it had a small waredrobe unit to hang clothes in; our second room was 582 which was a little bigger and still had waredrobe unit (no closet) but just the fact that it was a bit larger was nice. Both of our rooms had hardwood floors. My parents room was more dated and had carpeting (sorry, don't remember the room number), but it was a larger room than 661, so it was still a better option.

The hotel is beautiful. It does need some updating as others have indicated, but it is still a beautiful hotel. The location is fantastic. We easily walked to the Royal Palace. The walk to Aker Brygge wasn't bad. We even walked to the Vigelandsparken (Vigeland's Park or Frogner Park) where all the sculptures are. That was a bit far and I'd recommend taking the tram (or walking one way and taking the tram one way).

The front desk was very helpful making recommendations on places to eat and also for shoppping ideas.

The breakfast in the morning was very impressive. There were several bread options, including pastries, potato pancakes (loved them!), eggs, bacon, sausage, cheeses, meats, coffee, & juice. You will not leave hungry, I promise! We found that we did not need to eat lunch as we were still full from breakfast. I will warn you though. The breakfast closes at 10am Monday - Friday. When they say 10am, they mean it. They do not leave the food out to be picked at by the people that are still in the dining room. I walked up to the eggs at 10:00, the spoon was gone, so I could not put any on my plate. No one acknowledged my existence (multiple servers were around) and it was very clear to me that they were putting everything away ASAP. That was disappointing.

One recommendation I would have is that they should add a business center. They did provide free internet service in the rooms as long as you had a laptop. I would have liked to be able to print my airline boarding pass, but this was not an option. I also would not have taken my laptop (which would have been nice) if I knew that I would have access to a computer.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would consider staying here if I return to Oslo.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple