“You pay top dollar - you get a top modern hotel stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Thief

Ranked #3 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Sweden
“You pay top dollar - you get a top modern hotel stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

This rather new hotel is located on exclusive and artsy Tjuvholmen; the two peninsulas beyond Aker Brygge. Tjuvholmen as an area is also pretty new - in fact, parts of it is still under construction. However, most of it is finished and it has turned out really good. The surroundings of the hotel are wonderful - you can easily spend half a day just walking around Tjuvholmen.

I stayed here for one night, in a Deluxe room. The prices are - I believe - highest in town. The Deluxe room was priced approx 25 % higher than a similar room at Hotel Continental. By no means can it be compared to the most expensive hotels in the world, but for Oslo they are priced high, so my expectations were also high.

One of the first thing you will notice is the high presence of art, which harmonizes well with the profile of the Tjuvholmen area, including the Astrup Fearnly musuem (to which hotel guests have free admission) The hotel is filled with art - from the entrance, to the lobby, elevators, corridors and rooms. Very nice.

Check-in was quick and smooth. I was offered a refreshing towel on arrival. I was not offered rooming or assistance with luggage. However, I only had a small weekend bag and when I arrived it was very hot in Oslo, so I actually just wanted to get up to my room to freshen up. Perhaps this was picked up by the receptionist and they shortened the check-in procedure?

My room was on the 6th floor (I reckon the top floors were used by Beyonce and her entourage at the time) and was of very good size.

Room highlights:

+ Excellent bed
+ Floor-to-ceiling windows
+ Balcony
+ Very high quality linens/towels/slippers/robe
+ Generally high quality of furniture and decoration
+ Espresso machine
+ Samsung tablet to control TV
+ High-quality dock for iPhone/sound system (Geneva)
+ Excellent bathroom with bath and basin in the main room, then separate rooms for a rain shower and the toilet.
+ Ecological toiletries
+ Excellent minibar selection
+ Great selection of TV channels
+ Good, stable WIFI

The "in-room shop" located in one of the drawers is certainly an interesting concept. One on hand, it's pretty convenient to have such a good selection of high-quality necessities and treats in the room. On the other hand, it's of course a way for the hotel to make money and as a guest, I almost feel forced to buy an expensive toothbrush and toothpaste from the drawer, rather than just getting a dental kit from the front desk. It also takes up space.

Some disappointments with the room/stay:

- No welcome gift/wine/chocolate/other treat
- Very small balcony without furniture (probably because it couldn't even fit a chair)
- Except for two green leafs, there were no fresh flowers
- My room was one of furthest away in the corridor, which reduced quite a bit of the view and my main view was an apartment building
- No turn-down was offered. This might be explained by the fact that I had DND on for an hour around 7.30-8.30 PM. However, they could have offered it around 9 when DND was off.
- Even though the toiletries were of high quality, I believe the selection was a bit limited/boring.
- No newspaper was offered (why not offer it digitally through the tablet - would have been cool)
- No guest preference form prior to arrival

One might certainly consider this minor details, but at this price level and one room category up, I expect these details to be there.

I integrated very little with the staff, but from the little integration I had, they all appeared to be kind and professional.

I didn't have the breakfast, so I can't say anything about that.

Would I return? Even though I enjoyed my stay, I'm actually not sure I will return - it would most likely depend on the prices compared to other hotels at the time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nosajthing
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Greetings and many thanks for your very comprehensive review of our new property . You have certainly gone into great detail and that´s much appreciated . Your comments and constructive ideas for will be taken forward and discussed as the improvement of our customer service is of great importance to us

Once again many thanks and looking forward to your return

The Thief

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

In a new-money middle-age ghetto (Tjyvholmen) you can find this hotel. If you chose to stay here, you will have a good night sleep in a very good bed.

1. Overal excellent design
2. A perfect bed
3. A very good multimedia setup in the room (Samsung tablett and TV combo, Geneva iPhone dock)
4. Relaxed and very non crowded breakfast room
5. Friendly staff
6. Very clean
7. Breakfast was better for the eye than for the mouth. Very limited selection comperad to what excpect in a Scandinavian five star hotel

• Stayed August 2013
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your very brief and precise review of The Thief . Great that you enjoyed your stay and a pleasure to hear that the bed takes center stage . Where the breakfast is concerned we have taken note of your very constructive comments

Looking forward to welcoming you back

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is a very modern, cool hotel. The decor is cutting edge, but it is comfortable and quiet. It rates highly compared with many Scandanavian hotels because it is different to the generally very average standards elsewhere. The Hotel has a great location, being right on the waterfront, but there is a lot of building going on around the area, and my room had a view of a building site. The food is good but expensive - obviously trying for a Michelin Star. Overall not a bad place to stay, but with a few small reservations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of our property . Great that you had such an enjoyable stay and I´m happy to inform you that the construction in the area has been completed and we now have a peace and tranquility . As you mentioned were located in a new , vibrant district called Tjuvholem on the Oslo Fjord . To be described as modern & cool is a true compliment

Wishing you a relaxing Summer and looking forward to your return

London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I really wanted to like the Thief Hotel (I did choose it based upon the great recommendations from many TripAdvisor members), but at the end of a long week-end it’s very difficult for me to rate this hotel as a wonderful experience. It just wasn’t good enough; certainly didn’t live up to the hype; a really major problem that may have been deliberate dishonesty (is that why it’s called the Thief??); a staff attitude that was hugely disappointing; and seriously over priced.

As an experienced traveller I know what to expect from a 5 star hotel. We booked a deluxe room, which offered the “the best views of the harbor”. The room we were given had a view of the wall of an office block. The receptionist feigned surprise that we weren’t happy and reluctantly gave us another room – just acceptable as having a great view, but certainly larger and closer to the deluxe category. Come on – if a guest books a particular category of room, it is dishonest not to place your guest in the correct category of room.

This really typified my problem with this hotel – the staff attitude, not just of the receptionist, but other staff members we came across. This is a new, chic, boutique 5 star hotel – in some way the young staff feel that they are special and superior because they work here. This is then reflected in the way that they treat their guests – I don’t want to deal with your problem, why are you bothering me!! There are no offers to help you with your luggage; no advice on the confusing technical wizadry of the room; a taxi ordered at the wrong time, because they haven’t bothered to write it down – an attitude of “just enough”.

The room itself was modern, super stylish and very comfortable. The bed was fantastic – my partner and I slept so well throughout our stay. The shower room was well supplied and had a great walk in rain shower. Towels were just heavenly (note to self, have to get some new towels for home!!) and the bath robes to match were awesome. Wi-fi in the room was really hit and miss – great sitting at the desk, but almost impossible to connect from the bed – though fast once connected. Nice touch that the lights in the bathroom come on automatically when you go to visit in the middle of the night – but why do they go out when you enter during the day?? The key to the room is touch electronic – it was hit and miss whether it would automatically lock when you left or entered your room. Didn’t realize this until day 2 – and I think that is a big security problem.

The breakfast buffet was very tempting and very tasty – but why no hot plates for the hot food??

The room rates at the Thief are a lot higher than for the other 5 star hotels in Oslo. We paid Kr 8070 for 3 nights for a deluxe room. OK, Oslo is a very expensive city, but this price was just too much for what we got and the problems we experienced. I can’t recommend this hotel to my friends and wouldn’t choose to stay here on my next visit to Oslo.

Room Tip: Make sure that they don't down grade you to a lower class of room than the one you have reserved...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Peter_R_Smith
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of The Thief . As i can see there were a few issues with the hotel and staff that you were not happy with . On a positive note it ´s pleasing to read that you enjoyed your room and you slept well .
We thank you for taking the time to send us your thoughts and you comments have been sent forward to my colleagues

Looking forward to showing you the very positive side of The Thief

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

For the first time on Trip Advisor I have absolutely no complaint. This place is just freeking cool. We had been on a five week holiday around Norway, Denmark and the UK....we actually own an apartment in Aker Brygge and needed to have a quick peek at it and decided to stay here for two nights to see what the fuss was about... Worth every cent. The rooms are sleek and cool...the clash of fabric and color and textures are sublime...every room has a terrace and loved the built-in ashtrays... (Smokers welcome outside only)! The staff were superb....telling you "welcome home" as you enter the lobby. The artwork is bizarre and fantastic at the same time...from lobby to lift.... The toiletries are excellent. Huge towels, top quality fixtures, and just all around superb experience. Have stayed in several hotels in Oslo over the years...they have a LOT to learn about class, hospitality, and proper service. Breakfast was great...plenty to choose from..did not try the dinner restaurant as we were eager to eat at some of our old haunts. Please please please do give this a try. Tjuvholmen and Aker Brygge are the most desirable of neighborhoods in Oslo. I am proud to have this hotel just steps away from my apartment....The Thief puts every other hotel in Oslo to shame. Keep up the good work!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robert B
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of The Thief . I would take "Freeking Cool " any day as a description of the property . As your a neighbor it´s great that you choose to spend a couple of nights with us and glad you enjoyed your stay .
Also as a neighbor .........were looking forward to your return

Essen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Very nice hotel, great design, good location even if the neighbourhood was not complete done, the beds are amazing, the concept is of the small things in the hotel and the design is outstanding, of course not "really" cheap, but its Norway ;-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of our property
Great to read so many good comments . I´m now very happy to say that the area is a couple of weeks away from completion so were looking forward to a very tranquille Spring / Summer . Once again the comments concerning the bed are very pleasing
Looking forward to your return

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Oslo’s Thief steals your heart

As its name suggests, The Thief, situated in Tjuvholmen, Oslo’s hippest and most happening waterfront suburb, offers the discerning traveler some delightfully eccentric accommodation. Decorated in royal blue, mustard, gold and brown and filled with large bunches of fresh flowers and priceless contemporary art, this hotel is a sensual delight. It is also within walking distance of restaurants, art galleries, museums, shops and harbour activities.

Service is mostly delightful and occasionally eccentric. We arrive for a three-day sojourn at 10.30am on a Saturday morning, fully expecting to be asked to come back after the official book-in time of 2pm, but friendly reception staff informs us that, “of course”, our room is ready. Elegantly appointed, equipped with everything a guest’s heart may desire and with a little balcony (very little) overlooking the harbor, each morning the room is made up almost as soon as we remove the “Do not disturb” sign. Which is rare.

But in the three days of our stay, The Thief’s fire alarm goes off twice, false alarms both, and once chasing us out of bed at 2.25am. Nevertheless, stumbling down the staircase, even in our confused state we register that the alcoves are filled with breath-taking art which otherwise would have escaped our notice.

Rates are neither cheap nor outrageously expensive, and includes a breakfast spread offering the usual plus fish done in a variety of Scandinavian ways.

We also have dinner in the restaurant one night, and though not cheap (A$200 for a three-course meal for two plus two glasses of Italian red), the food is delicious and the specially requested vegan main turns out to be the cauliflower dish to trump all cauliflower dishes, crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and flavoured with roast walnuts and fresh lemon juice.

When we return for a final night ten days later, we are given a small room overlooking a building site. We doubt that it’s something we said though – guests who stay a single night probably just need less space. And less view.

Room Tip: Ask for a big room with views of the harbour.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your very comprehensive review of The Thief
Great to hear so many positive comments and especially that you described the the service as "delightful & eccentric" . A fine description and one i will forward to my colleagues . Were very happy that the building has ceased and were looking forward to a very tranquille Spring / Summer

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts as your feedback is much appreciated