“You want miss anything, expect better service”
Review of The Thief

Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
“You want miss anything, expect better service”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a great location and is top modern. The hotel and the room has a cool maskuline interiour, and the room has everything you need plus some. The bed is really nice and comfortable with many (many) pillows. The spa is also good and hightech, but it does not have a jacuzzi and the pool is too small for two people to swim in it. My rating is actually 3+ but I gave it a four. The reason for 3+ is the lack of service. The staff are professional, but they do not smile and they don't offer anything extra. The breakfast and the bar could also be better.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of The Thief . Very good to get you feedback and I´d like to thanks you for sharing your thoughts . Once again The Bed gets a mention as it´s been a recurring theme since the opening of the property and the pillows follow a close second . Great to hear that you appreciated the room/ style and content . I´ll be discussing some of your other points with my colleagues

Wishing you a relaxing Autumn and looking forward to your return

The Thief

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Switzerland
Reviewed 30 August 2014

On a short stay in Oslo we were lucky to have a 7th floor room in this remarkable hotel with a balcony and view over the harbour. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were exceptionally well cared for by all the friendly, efficient and knowledgeable staff. We could not fault them.

The hotel is in a superb location next to art galleries, restaurants and the city itself.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel if you are in Oslo.

1 Thank Colin H
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of our property . Great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you would highly recommend our hotel . It was particularly pleasing to read your comments concerning the staff and I´m looking forward to sharing your thoughts with them .

Wishing you a very colourful Autumn and your swift return to The Thief

Liverpool
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at Tthe Thief during our visit in Oslo, I would highly recommended this hotel if art is your thing.

It really excites me that they have a collection of British Artist's art work, including one of my favourite sculpture artist, Anthony Gormley's sculpture. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a staff, however, she does not offer to ask us whether we need help with our bags.

We have asked for a room with balcony, it's on the seventh floor. I like the size of the room, I like the decor, it is very chic, very contemporary and I love the lighting and the materials they use in our room.

I would say if money is not an issue always ask for Superior room, deluxe suite or double. We haves asked for superior room and the view is just amazing . Our room is quite close to another building block but we can have a clear view of the harbour which is very romantic. The down side is there is a roof terrace, and you can hear the roof terrace music from our room. The noise does not cause any nuisance.

I like the bathroom , it is a very chic, clean, simple yet highly functional and contemporary design toilet. I like the use of the materials they use for the bathroom and the toiletries (CAPITA). The towel is a very good quality towel.

We went for the spa, I think the spa is quite under staff, there is one receptionist, she is very friendly and she shows us around, however, I think there should be more staff in order to show us around. The Hamman is really impressive, and the steam room has got shower !! I was really impress by the size of Hamman and Steam room! the only thing missing is the jacuzzi.

We had a 50 min massage and I would say that was the best massage that I have ever had. Their techniques are very nice and the pressure was perfect. The ambience of the room was very relaxing.

The breakfast is just PERFECT. They have got a good selection of Norwigian and international cheese. I love the ambience of the restaurant, the interior design is very chic and it is very welcoming. I like the tea pots they use to serve tea. It will be nicer if they can serve my earl grey in loose tealeaf . However, I have to say they Jing tea bags that they use is good quality tea bag.

It is very nice of the hotel to provide hot water in thermos flask and water before dawn. The small touch really makes us feel very welcoming.

The only down side of it is when I checked in the staff told me that our room was paid for over the internet and when we check out we were charged again. I will have to look into that once I get my credit card bill to confirm whether or not we have been double charge.

The location is superb , it is next to Astrup Fearnley museum. If you love contemporary art that will be a very nice place to go.

There is a lot of bar and restaurant in the area. I love the library / lobby area of the hotel, I would say this hotel is definitely one of the best hotel that I have stayed in . I thoroughly enjoy the experience . What really amaze me is a hotel at such a big size is still able to provide such personal service and make you feel welcoming.

Room Tip: Always book online as it is more expensive to book in person
2 Thank Screenname1003
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your very comprehensive review of The Thief . Great to read that you had such and enjoyable stay . As you mentioned we have a fine collection of modern and contemporary art and a very close association with the Astrup Fearnley museum . Our association with Brit Art also extends to Sir Peter Blake , Julian Opie , Damian Hurst & Bryan Ferry . I also enjoyed your comments concerning Thief Spa and the quality of the treatments / massage . We have some very dedicated and skilled staff and very pleasing to read that it was probably the best massage you have ever experienced . We will be discussing some of your points concerning the check in / out and we appreciate your feedback .

Wishing you a very relaxing Autumn and looking forward to your return

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My fiancee & myself finally decided to get married, and we thought seriously about different options for our "wedding night". As much as I respected my wife to be, I took the task to surprise her by arranging everything in this regard... (yikes!)

I do now believe that someone out there secretly told me to chose The Thief ( or maybe it was my fiancee some time ago..? ;-) )

Bottom line is: We had the MOST incredible time at The Thief Hotel, and this is probably an understatement!

We are both very well travelled, but to experience such ultra high-end service from the inital contact, the order and the stay itself, is simply OUTSTANDING!

Thank you SO MUCH for the experience of our lives! We will visit again, no doubt!

Room Tip: We were so fortunate to be able to experience "The Oslo Suite" (Probably the best suite in...
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your fab review of our property . Great to read that you had such a great stay and many congratulations to you and your wife . As you mentioned the Oslo Suite is one of the finest in Scandinavia and was voted the best suite in Europe at the European Designer Hotel awards 2014 . I´ll be sharing your thoughts with my colleagues

Wishing you a crisp Autumn and looking forward to your return

Sørumsand, Akershus, Norway
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed there for one night - it was a birthday present from my husband. He bought the couples package - double room, Champagne waiting in the room and a 5 course meal at the restaurant. Everything was tip top and to our expectations. Would love to stay there again - however very pricey..

Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your review of The Thief . Great to read that you have such a thoughtful husband and your birthday experience was a memorable one . I´ll forward your thoughts to my colleagues
Were looking forward to your return .

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

First of all - in general The Thief is a nice hotel. It is in a good location, it is pretty new and the decor / furnishings / etc. are very modern. By most accounts, it should be worthy of its lofty ranking on Trip Advisor. At least that's what I hoped when I booked the room and decided to pay the premium to stay at this hotel versus other hotels in Oslo. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and our anniversary, and I contacted the hotel ahead of time to let them know -- certainly a hotel which promotes such attention to customer satisfaction should be notified of such an occasion to help assist with any special planning.

At least that what I thought. It started out well enough - I contacted Dominic (guest services manager) to let him know our plans and he responded back quickly with some suggestions. So far so good. Shortly before our arrival, I attempted to reconnect with him and follow up with the final plans -- nothing too dramatic, just some champagne/fruit/etc. and a massage appointment. He did not respond to my follow up email. Half of any present is in the surprise and I elected to not make any comment at check-in. However, the next morning (on my wife's birthday), I followed up with the front desk staff and they did not have any record of my request but generously agreed to help out and have something delivered upon our return in the afternoon. After a day of sightseeing we returned to the room (after the pre-determined time and after passing up other opportunities to celebrate out on the town in Oslo since I thought there would be something waiting) -- nothing had been delivered.

I went down to the front desk to follow up and check on the status of the request (at this point the surprise was ruined so why bother so it made sense to cancel it). The request now seemed to be in the system but nothing had been done about it -- no explanation, only a curt apology from the front desk attendant.

I followed up with Dominic shortly after our visit via email and he replied with a similarly brief apology and offered to follow up on what had happened. It's a few days later, still no response.

Yes, this sounds like a "First World" problem and probably a little more venting than necessary, but the point is this: this hotel wants to be recognized as a premium hotel, and we have been fortunate to stay in a number of premium luxury hotels where no detail is missed and special requests are taken very seriously -- this is the impression I had when deciding to book with this hotel and was a major decision point in electing to stay here versus other hotels. The fact the ball was dropped so badly is definitely a strong Yellow Flag / maybe even a Red Flag, for somebody planning a very special trip with somebody (birthday/anniversary/engagement), and are counting on things to go correctly. I guess prospective guests with such a prospect in mind needs to decide if they are willing to "roll the dice" with this team at The Thief and hope all the special plans actually get fulfilled.

As stated at the beginning, overall the hotel is fine (although it took them three tries to bring us a coffee maker that worked). The facility is nice, location is great, but proceed with caution if you require more than that.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be better, water view room with balcony was nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank MattC415
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your very personal review of The Thief . It´s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the quality and location of the property . I´d like to thank you for bringing some other points to our attention that will help improve our guest relations & service . It´s always a challenge to answer reviews where I´m named personally as in every case there are two sides to a story . What i would like to add is that I always strive to provide the best possible service in a very courteous manner .

Wishing you a very crisp and colourful Autumn

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I don't usually go for design hotels as they tend to be very uncomfortable but the thief is truly an exception. Modern, trendy and yet the room is so cosy!!! The shower is really big which I love. All the gadgets in the room works. Housekeeping is immaculate and they were one of the few remaining who actually remember to give you a new shower gel every day which is simple and yet so many nice hotels manage to forget! They do respect the do not disturb sign and do not raise their eyebrow if I get up at 3 pm and they don't call you 'just in case you forgot to have your room serviced'. This is another mistake, grave might I add, that nice hotels tend to make very often these days. As importantly the bed is one of the most comfortable ones I have slept in. Nice touches like a tea which a thermos of hot water at night. The most comfortable bathrobe and slippers. Little things do add up. The staff are also very nice and helpful. The girls at the reception and the spa are so beautiful too. Even as a woman I look at them in awe. The hotel is located in a new neighbourhood which is beautiful and kind of self catering with many nice restaurants and cafe. A great museum is right in front of the thief as well. I won't stay anywhere else in Oslo. I am seriously impressed. And considering how expensive everything is in Oslo, the hotel of this calibre is very reasonably priced!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank rubyyao
Dominic G, Manager at The Thief, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your very comprehensive review of The Thief . It´s very refreshing to read so many positive comments and once again The Bed get as mention . I feel i should elaborate a little concerning The Bed as we have identical , Swedish beds throughout the property so the bed that so many have spoken about will be the bed that you sleep in . As you mentioned we have a very modern DND ( do not disturb ) system which allows you the peace and quite that you desire along with the discretion of technology . I´ll forward you very pleasing comments concerning the staff to my colleagues

Wishing you a relaxing Summer and looking forward to your return