“An adequate no-frill hotel”
Review of Citybox Oslo

Ranked #20 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Perfect location. Price is reasonable considering it is located only a street away from the Central Station. Check-in is speedy as it is self-check-in, so scan the barcode on your booking confirmation letter, and you are good to go. The room is very basic, but absolutely clean and has everything you need. The bed is comfortable, I like how the toilet floor is moderately heated, makes you extremely cosy especially during winter. Love the water pressure in the shower. No tea & coffee making facility, no TV in the room. The only place you can watch TV is at the lobby. I haven't seen a single staff during my 2-night stay at the hotel, it is kind of weird for me but it didn't bother me much.
One thing that really bothers me though is the signage of the hotel, I missed it twice as I walked pass the hotel without noticing its existence. I guess this need a bit of work.
Will stay again if i'm back in Oslo.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
OsloCitybox, Manager at Citybox Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Hi TravLady W!

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel!

We also love hot bathroom tiles when the weather outside is freezing! :)
Actually we do have a waterboiler in our kitchen, and we also lend out waterboilers to those who request it.

We actually agree that our entrance is not visible enough. We got some big news coming the next couple of weeks, and later on you will know more about our plans for this... :)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had to think quite a lot before writing a review about Citybox Oslo but I think that all the notices relating to 'keeping costs down' might be better interpreted as 'keeping profits up' which says what this place is really about - making money. The marketing company for this hotel/hostel will surely win awards because a lot of people are being conned by it judging by the reviews. Yes, this place has been marketed very well in a way that guests appear to believe the hype before they get there. In fact the marketing bill should drop dramatically now as many of the reviews repeat verbatim the marketing around the hotel - see Jeroen L for instance.

I was a single person staying in a small double. I chose it largely because of location - I was arriving by train and leaving very early one morning by train - and this seemed to be the closest although when I got there I found two hotels closer. Yes, the room was most definitely modern in design and clean - this is a new establishment so that is to be expected and it is not yet showing wear - but a closer look and the decorating makes the place look better than it is. I suspect it will wear very quickly. It has been designed to get a good start in the market, an established reputation, that will give it credit beyond its due and keep people coming in the long run or to sell it off when it is at its financial peak. A very clever concept all round is the Citybox - the concept is indeed lean and mean but not quite in the way that the management would like us to believe. Would love to know what they pay their cleaners.

Some (all) of the services that have been excluded on the basis of 'keeping the costs down' may not be essential. No television? Well if you are in Oslo on a holiday period when the weather is awful - grey, rainy and windy - I had come to Oslo from arctic Norway where I had been happily walking around in heavy snow for over a week but rain is another thing - and the museums and galleries are all closed, it might be nice to watch some television other than in the public areas surrounded by people eating take-away food with it's inevitable smells. To make your own coffee or tea one has to go again to the public areas where there is a single electric kettle but you need to have your own cup. And a telephone - call me nervous but I had to be on a very early flight and would've liked some backup for my mobile alarm with a wakeup call.

As a single occupant of a small double room I wonder how two people cope with getting dressed at the same time. There is not enough room to sit and chat or read unless you do so in bed. There was no-where to put clothes except some hooks on the wall for coats, etc. There was nowhere to put a bag let alone bags without blocking either the room door or the bathroom door - some health and safety issues here me thinks!! I only stayed two days - it would be intolerable for a longer stay - and once one gets to the bigger rooms any cost effectiveness begins to disappear and you'd be better going to a hotel - a nice hotel bar doesn't go astray when the weather is too bad to go out.

There was also a lot of noise late into the night coming from the courtyard onto which my room faced.

Frankly, this is a hostel dressed up as an hotel - nothing more, nothing less - with a cynical line in marketing. It looks flashy but it won't stay that for long seeing as a the rubbish coming out of cleaned rooms appears to be largely empty spirit bottles, bought in dutyfree presumably that guests have tanked up before hitting the expensive bars/restaurants of Oslo. I chose it for location knowing it was a bit of a risk but given I only had a 36 hour stay I thought I could hack it. It was not a stay to remember.

This is a place for 20 and 30 somethings on a short (binge drinking?) visit, stag and hen parties and cashed up backpackers who can afford to eat out - though my congratulations go out to the two south east asian men who made pot noodles in using the kettle in the public area. It is not even good for hostelers because this is not the sort of place you can congregate in the kitchen/public areas and meet people.

Being what it is it will attract a certain market and probably keep it until the hype wears thin - but no doubt the owners will make a lot of money - I could quite see Citybox being franchised out once the Oslo and Bergen properties reach their peak. But my recommendation is that if you fall outside the groups mentioned above steer clear - it really is worth the extra to stay at a hotel. Families in particular steer clear - you would do better to go to a legitimate hostel if you don't have a big budget.

One last thing, Citybox is well located for Oslo station and the central city but it is in a rather seedy area with lap top dancing establishments and all that goes with that. I'm hardly a teenager and I don't dress provocatively but even I was approached by a curb crawler. I'm a pretty hardy traveller - I lived in Port Moresby Papua New Guinea for four years - but I certainly kept my wits about me on the walk to the station at 4.30am the morning I left.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lanaj47

Hi Lanaj47!

Wow, thanks for a terrific and interesting review of our hotel!

Normally we have a couple of different guys answering on these tripadvisor reviews in here, that’s why we always respond using “WE”, but this time you are touching on a couple of issues that are more of a personal view, therefore I’ll change it to “I” this time.

The point you are making about “keeping our costs down” actually being “keeping profits up” is sort of a glass half-full or half-empty observation to me. As any other business, we are of course trying to make money, which is just the way our money grabbing system works, right?
In one way, you are right; many of our solutions helps keep our profits up. However, it also helps keeping our costs down, and that actually makes your room cheaper.

An example that illustrates what I am trying to say:
Most of the hotels have a sign in the bathroom stating; “Save the environment, use your towel more than once”. If you chose a half-empty view, you will consider this a con from the hotel. However, the statement is still not wrong, the hotel will need one less towel cleaned and transported to the hotel, and that actually helps save the environment. However, the reason that our rooms are cheaper is that we do not put all the money we save on this in our pocket, but we instead try lowering our rate.

I am actually glad to hear that you are referring to our “marketing company”, as we actually do not have one. We try spending that money elsewhere. We are just a couple of guys trying to come up with what we feel are good ideas on explaining our concept, and our intention has never been to con people. If you feel that way, I am truly sorry about that! If our guest are repeating some of the things we try to communicate, I hope it is because they understand and like our concept, not that we have brainwashed them! :)

I also agree on that a more true view of the hotel will be after we have been open for a while. One of the challenges of a hotel is to try to keep it looking good year after year, and we are still a young hotel, but we believe we are ready for that challenge! All of our employees make the same amount of money as they would in any other hotel. The entire hotel is also build according to the usual health and safety regulations. I can also tell you that we have a long-term plan for both our hotel and the chain of Citybox. More news of this will follow within the next couple of weeks!

We have chosen not to have TVs inside the rooms, but instead upgraded our Wifi to twice the normal speed. Our thought behind this was that our guests could be able to stream whatever they want to on their laptop or smartphone. I will continue monitoring our reviews and feedbacks, and we will consider taking action if this opinion keeps reoccurring.

We also have electric kettles that you could bring to your room, just drop by our Citybox Host Office. There we also have some alarm clocks you could use as backup for your cell phone!
I agree that our double room small are indeed small. If you want a bigger room is between NOK 50 – 100 extra per day, we believe this still is a great price, and it is a fair price compared to our competitors (trust me, I check their rates every day!). :)

Our concept is based on that there is something missing in the market between “hotels” and “hostels”. For those of us who want to have our private room with a private bathroom, but still want to pay hostel prices. That is where we try to operate at least! Moreover, since that is where we operate we actually get all kinds of guests in all kinds of ages! We actually got some really nice family rooms that are available for a great price also.

Again, I would like to personally thank you for your input, I enjoyed reading them and even enjoyed responding, as it was an interesting thought process. I may not agree on all your views, but I understand where they are coming from! If you would like to discuss further, please send us an e-mail at oslo@citybox.no!

Lastly, should you ever visit us again; I hope we will manage to con you better! ;-)

Vegard L.
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Traveled to Oslo for a one night stay in December 2013 with a friend and as we were on a slight budget and knew the expensive nature of the location we decided to stay at Citybox. Clean and tidy, with comfy beds and linen, plus a great shower! The location is great for exploring Oslo and fairly easy to find upon arrival into the city by bus from the airport. Would definitely recommend for a flying visit, just don't expect any luxurious extra's, this is a basic hotel but it's all we needed!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lizzip32
OsloCitybox, Manager at Citybox Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hi lizzip32!

Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel!

We totally agree! Don't expect any luxurios extras! We are a simple and modern hotel that try our best to offer value for money! And we are really glad to see that you agree!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Positioned in the center of Oslo the Citybox hotel offers great value for money. Their concept is to be lean and mean or so to say! This means: unmanned check-in computers (someone can always help you though), cleaning rooms on departure or once a week (rooms are clean), just a good bed with wifi instead of useless stuff in your room (tv, minibar etc).

They have no breakfast room but a lounge with some TV's and vending machines. It's a perfect hotel if you actually want to enjoy the city instead of a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeroen L
OsloCitybox, Manager at Citybox Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hi Jeroen L!

Thanks for a terrific review of our hotel!

Seems like you have figured out what we are trying to do here! We try to be value for money by offering just the basics of what you need, all the other stuff you will find in the city! And that's why you are here, right? :)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at the Citybox Oslo for 3 nights while travelling solo to visit Oslo. The hotel hall, common areas and my room were very clean. The bed was confortable. I did not have to deal with the staff a lot. The only time I did they were friendly and helpful. I would love to see the same type of hotel in other european capitals too.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank whatalex
OsloCitybox, Manager at Citybox Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hi whatalex!

Thank you so much for the spreading the word about us!

We also hope to see more of our hotels in the other big cities of the world! :-)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I recently stayed at Citybox Oslo with 3 friends. We had a 4 person room - a set of bunkbeds and a queen size bed. The room was basic but fit exactly what we were looking for. We enjoyed our stay and thought the location of the hotel was great. It was very close to the central train and bus station, not a far walk to the Opera House, City Hall and was parallel to one of the main shopping streets, Karl Johans Gate.

If I were to return to Oslo, I'd definitely look into staying at Citybox Oslo again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dek830

Hi dek830!

Thank you so much for spreading the word about us!

We are no more and no less than a simple and modern budget hotel, and we are so glad that you agree with our value for money concept. If you are travelling as a family or a small group, our family rooms are a great deal!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel has good location. Modern and clean. There is a microwave oven to use on ground floor. I have not used it but it could be useful for others. Staff was helpful. I have arrived to hotel very early and they arranged early check in for me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Etem H
OsloCitybox, Manager at Citybox Oslo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Hi Etem H!

Thanks for your great review of our hotel!

The microwave is a good tip for those who want to save some money on one of their meals! In our vending machines there are also a couple of items that you can buy and heat in the microwave!

We always try to give our guests an early check-in, but it depends on how many rooms we have in the same category available, and how many maids we have working that particular day, and when our guest decide to check out.

A good tip for those who want an early check-in is to limit the number of request you have on the room. If you for example request a large bed facing our courtyard far away from the elevator - it's not that easy for us to give you an early checkin, because we only have a few rooms that can fulfill all these requests. Therefore; The fewer requests, the bigger the chance for an early check-in! :-)

But glad to see that we managed to help you with an early check-in!