“Tiniest room ever, but good value for short stay”
Review of Smarthotel Oslo

Smarthotel Oslo
Ranked #32 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Needed a cheap room at short notice for a work trip, so found this new hotel in Oslo. Its reasonably central, although you need a taxi from the station with bags. Its new, clean, friendly and has the TINIEST rooms you have ever seen! Good for one night, maybe two, more and you'd go a little crazy!

Good breakfast for the price. Wifi is free and good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Hotel is really near from city center, everywhere we could walk by foot. People on reception was nice and helpful. Price was also very favorable.
Everything was awesome!!:) ( I miss the bells of City Hall, haha)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Ivana S
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Clean, Cheap and very central for downtown Oslo.

Very small single room, but a comfortable bed. Wifi access. Bad selection of TV channels.

Breakfast not included in the booking price. Normal standard on breakfast.

All in all I like these barebones hotel concepts. If you not are visitor with the intent on staying all day in the hotel room why pay for all the services you will not use?

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KaareBottolfsen
Reviewed 28 April 2014

WIthout problems,this Hotel is sooo good! If i will come back in Oslo i will come back there,quality\price sounds good! Good position and Location,Oslo is a fantastic city,one most beautiful in Europe.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank angeloFarinaPH
Reviewed 26 April 2014

THE HOTEL = I stayed at this hotel for four nights and paid £75 (EURO 91) ($US 126) per night room only. My impression was extreme budget airline cost cutting. The staff were friendly behind reception and helpful if you needed advice, but apart from the reception their are no other staff just vending machines for a coffee or beer. As a foreign tourist I was annoyed that the only way you could get a coffee or refreshments was to go to a computer screen, make your selection then you had to use a credit visa card (because money is not accepted) and then you can take your drink. This is ridiculous because my bank will charge me money to convert British Stirling into Norwegian Krone and then my bank will charge me again a transaction fee on top (£7 plus with a paper cup). Lol. So anyway I declined and made my way to the room and as I entered, I thought I had made a mistake and that my room key accidently opened a door of a hotel broom cupboard, my goodness the room was so small, I had trouble taking my pants off. The room had a shower but again the space was so compact it felt like being in a coffin. The double bed was very comfortable but the duvets are not large enough for two people, so we had to use the second duvet under the bed and sleep like two Chinese pancake rolls on one mattress. There is no wardrobe so we had to hang our clothes on any nooks or hooks on the wall and door handles of the bathroom door. No tea or coffee or mini bar facilities. No room safe (The room safe's were located in reception area in public like lockers, be careful that no one is looking over your shoulder.) The Hotel was very clean and warm. The only thing that I thought was bad about the hotel was that it seems not to have room service on a weekend because our room was not visited on the Saturday and Sunday (so for £150 (EURO 182) ($US252) for those two days you have to clean your own room and empty your own room bin which by now is over spilling because it is the same size as a pint glass and use the same bath towel from Friday to Monday.) Checkout is faceless also, just pop your room keys in a glass jar in lobby and go.

LOCATION = Excellent location next to national gallery and the royal palace and in an area next the main street for shopping and entertainment. I felt very safe walking around at night time.

FROM AIRPORT = Very easy from all of Oslo's airports just get a bus to the Oslo S bus station and walk 10-15 minutes.

TIPS = Save tons of money and buy your hot coffee, beers etc. and dinners from the supermarket next to the hotel. Take to your room or try having picnics in a scenic location to admire the views of Oslo's Fjord and natural beauty for about £10 (EURO 12) ($US 17) for two persons. instead of sitting in very expensive eateries.

SUMMARY = My opinion of this hotel is that I understand the concept of the no thrills budget brand, but compared to the Ibis and Holiday Inn budget brands the Smarthotel is extreme in guest space and conveniences. Also I feel they cannot use Norway's expensive economy as an excuse for their hotel room rates. The room rate to me is double the rate it should be for what you get and I believe they would still be making a nice profit on half of what I paid. Basically I would now stay In a nice hotel on the Fjord in a nice village outside of Oslo and just get the public bus into Oslo to see the sights. Anyway there is no reason for you not to stay in this hotel, it is just not for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matt-on-walkabout
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Staff is very kind as should be. I liked location very much: only 1 min to the central Karl Johan's street and 5 min to the central pier. Quiet rooms - good for your sleep. Sometimes you can hear cars outside if your room near the road (our 1st room was on the 5th floor, above St. Olavs gate) but it is almost not disturbing. I liked breakfast as well: everything is fresh and good. One of the cheapest hotels in the center.

The rooms are really small - 2-3 sq. m (excluding area under the bed) according to my evaluations: if you used to live in rooms with normal size these ones will be too small for you especially if you are more than 1 in the room. (But after 1-2 days you accommodate.) Shower in the room worked bad and eventually broke down. We complained, and next day staff replaced the room for us from 5th to 8th floor. Shower was working but leaking a bit (it seems, there is some inherent problem with showers in this hotel). New room was a bit bigger (~0.5 sq. m, again not counting the bed area) but with a lot of dust in the air. The view here was to the high wall in 5 m from the window (protection from car noise?) so you don't see anything outside hotel area.

Stayed on Easter (April) 2014.

Room Tip: Check the shower immediately after moving in! ;)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Serzh13
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very modern and functional hotel, located a few blocks away from the centre.
We had a pleasant stay, but the small room is really a bit too small for 2 people, especially if, like us, you have a lot of luggage. I guess the superior would have been more appropriate, and hopefully with a fridge (there's none in the small room). Great wifi connection and comfortable bed. The personnel could have been a bit more friendly and helpful, they weren't too "proactive", but all together a pleasant and affordable stay, considering the skyhigh city prices.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple