“Great hostel for very nice price!”

Saga Poshtel Oslo Central
Ranked #1 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Oslo
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Great location, close to Central station, Cathedral, shopping area and City Hall. Very modern interior, security locks for main entrance and entrance to each floor. Very clean rooms and common areas. Furniture and everything else in rooms is an excellent condition. Heated floor in bathroom really made the difference - it was raining when we were in Oslo, so we dried our clothes in the bathroom.
Very good breakfast, kitchen with all things necessary for cooking.Helpful staff.
Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Urbanstyle27

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

centrally located, very modern with all the security locks, incredibly cheap for norway, gigantic breakfast included (and stuff quickly 'refilled' if need be), free wifi and computers (wifi even in your rooms, in other places it usually doesn't get that far), superclean, helpful staff, quite a decent common area for a hostel in a bigger city

even had the 4people dorm on my own but that was probably due to midweek stay off season ;)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Expensive, yes, but so is everything in Oslo so this is to be expected. It was very clean, comfortable, and well heated. Staff were helpful and friendly. The hostel is also well located just a 10 minute walk from the train station, and the main city streets are also within walking distance, as are tram stops.
The kitchen was a little bit small for a rather large hostel - this was a bit of a pain sometimes. But the thing I was most impressed by was the fantastic breakfast! The breakfast was as good as you would get in a cheap hotel, maybe even better than what I've experienced at some budget hotels - good nutritious food and great variety! Thumbs up!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked a double with private bathroom at the advance non refundable rate - 50% discount. The room we got was small but very clean, underfloor heating in the bathroom. The location was excellent. At the full rate of NOK895 per night, there may be equally good deals nearby.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fooe2
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is NOT what I expected at all.

The word "hostel" is being used in its widest terms. This was a real 5* experience. The whole place is absolutely spotless.....I mean spotless. The hotel (better word) is bright, airy and well lit.........with brilliant wifi throughout the whole building. The stairwell has a magnificent chandelier. Yes, a chandelier in a "hostel"! I suppose it has to use the word hostel as it DOES have bunk beds available but there are also single, double and 4 bed rooms. The bedrooms are equally spotless with sealed fresh bed-linen.

Breakfast is included and that was impressive too. I did not use the facilities but their laundry and kitchens available.

Price? I guess about 10 euros more than the cheapest hostel in town but you get so much more - cleanliness, security, a bank of PCs available to use FOC.

Location? 10/10. 200 meters from the main shopping street and within an easy stroll of everything most visitors to Oslo centre would want - railway/bus station, parliament, Ibsen Museum, National Theatre, ferries to Denmark, Opera House etc etc

Reception? Pleasant, professional staff who speak impeccable English and are deeply knowledgeable about the city and travel.

Sadly, I was only here for one night, I'd have been happy with one week!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank thisisspain
Reviewed 25 January 2014

So I just got back from my trip to Oslo after staying at Oslo Hostel Central. I normally don't bother to write reviews but after staying there for the past 3 days and being totally wowed as a solo traveller I couldn't keep this hidden gem to myself!

Firstly the word hostel seems to conjure the wrong image. This place had hotel written all over it. The minute you walk through the automatic doors into the reception you feel like you're in a picture from the brochure. To say this place is clean is also an understatement - it is SPOTLESS!

The friendly girl behind the reception desk welcomed me with a smile and asked how I was. I explained I had a booking confirmation and within a minute I had my key to my fifth floor room. (The keys are actually electronic cards which make the place very safe). I took the lift up to my floor, and again was amazed at how new and clean everything was! My bed was freshly made and had clean towels rolled and lay on top, perfect!

I opted for the cheaper single room with shared shower but when I realised the shower had a heated floor - that was the icing on the cake!

Breakfast is served from 07:30 - 10:30 whilst I was staying there and consisted of a freshly laid out continental style spread, but for those of us that weren't used to this as our breakfast there was also a choice of cereals and different slices of break for toast. Again...a hostel which includes a lovely breakfast? That's a first!

There are computers for use with free internet access in the communal area however with the option of FREE wifi I stuck with my iPhone. Even on the 5th floor the internet was pretty fast!

The location could not have been any more central. It's a 5 min walk to the central station and every other major tourist attraction is pretty much on your doorstep, including Karl Johans Gate. If you want to travel further out like I did, you can buy the Oslo pass from reception which gives you unlimited free travel and entrance into loads of venues and museums. I decided to take the train up to Holmenkollen to the ski jump, the famous Vigelansparken and from there the tram back to the city centre.

On my last day I had to kill a couple of hours as I had a late flight and as I was people watching I noticed how scrupulously the staff clean the place. Not just tables and floors but chairs and even WALLS were getting scrubbed!

I have honestly never known anything like this place. I told the girl behind the desk I would be back in the summer with friends and I meant it. No point in staying anywhere else in the city, Oslo Hostel Central ticks all the boxes and more! 5*

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank justask4leo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Despite it's name, it's really hard to put this place in the same league with other places usually called hostels.
Great location, delicious breakfast, friendly receptionists, clean.
Cons? Price and extremely small kitchen to prepare meals.

Bonus: storage room for bigger luggage

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo