“Affordable, clean place to stay”

Saga Poshtel Oslo Central
Ranked #2 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Oslo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights in a 6 bed women room with private bathroom last month.
Everything was very clean. The hostel is not very big but it has all the essentials: kitchen, lounge, vending machines if you need a late snack.
The room wasn't very big but the first night there was only one other person staying there, and two the next night, so it wasn't a problem. They have individual lockers in the room, but don't forget to bring your own lock.
The hostel felt safe and it wasn't noisy. There was free wi-fi everywhere, and computers for guest use in the main lounge.
Also the breakfast was very good, and great to have in an expensive city like Oslo.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sms6778

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hostel is located in the centre of everything. I arrived from Copenhagen by the ferry and it was only around 10 minutes walk from the pier. You can reach the Opera house, Karl Johan street, the cathedral and central station within 5-10 minutes too. Actually Oslo is a very walkable city. I didn't take any public transportation during my stay there.
The staff was friendly and explained everything in detail. Reception is open 24 hrs so it's alright if you arrive late or have to catch an early flight/train/bus. They provide a breakfast buffet with a wide selection of salad, fruits, bread, cold-cuts, fruit juice and coffee; which is very delicious. And if you have to check out early that day before breakfast starts, they also provide take-away breakfast which is very considerate and nice of them. You can just order at the reception a day before you need it. I was surprised by this service and that huge bag of take-away breakfast I was given. It included orange juice, yogurt, salami and ham, a packet of cheese and three slices of white bread. Totally stuff me up and save me from spending a fortune at the airport for breakfast.
I stayed in an all-girls dorm. There's a washing basin in our room and also large lockers for each of us. You have to bring your own lock though. They bed linen and towels are clean and the bed comfortable. However the room is a bit small. I had the lower bed close to the door; and if I were taking out things from the locker while someone opened the door, it would bang right onto me. It would be better if they re-design the layout. Also, they have this strange rule of not allowing you to hang your washed clothes for drying in the room. You need to do it in the laundry room which I find a bit troublesome. Usually in hostel everyone just hang up their clothes and towels for it to dry.
The toilet and bathroom are clean, but it would be great if there're more of them so waiting time would be reduced.
Safety is not a problem here. The main door is closed after 6pm I think and you need your door card to get in. I was surprised though by the people who stayed there. Throughout my 4 days-stay, I seldom saw young people; but rather, lots of older couples and families. So it's not really a 'youth hostel' tbh. But maybe it's just a coincidence; and you can be ensured that there wouldn't be late-night noisy parties haha. I guess this hostel is a nice and cheaper option in expensive Oslo so that's why more older people stay here too.
Wifi is provided but it is a bit unstable in my room. It required you to log in every time you connect to it so it can be a bit troublesome. They do provide computers in the common area though.
There're lots of maps and information at the reception area, including a map created by the locals especially for young people. I followed the suggested routes and advice there which I find very interesting and it's good to get away from touristy area sometimes.
Overall I had a satisfactory stay in Oslo Central Hostel and I would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank travel-fun-ex
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Oslo Hostel Central has a great localization, near the Station and Opera House, it is very clear and they offer a very good breakfast. It's possible to go walking to the Opera House and train station very easy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helene F
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Close to the main train station (walk up the main Karl Johans gata, turn left on Kongensgate), easy to find and within walking distance to almost all the main attractions in central Oslo.

Staff were pretty helpful, rooms were small and simple but clean and cosy, sheets and towels were provided, breakfast was excellent.

If you book early, prices can be really cheap, especially by Norway standards.

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Oslo Hostel Central was a great place to stay. The rooms were very clean, but basic and VERY small. The staff was all very nice and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent, and the kitchen was nice as well. The hostel is in an excellent location, within walking distance of nearly all the main sights. Would definitely recommend this place to stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I and my friend decided to explore Oslo city for 1 weekend and were in search for some cheap hostel in the city center. I think we were bang on when we selected this hostel. We reached Oslo from Gothenburg by bus and reached the hostel after 10 min walk from central bus and train station. It is very close to Karl Johan street; the main and most happening street in Oslo.

The best thing with this hostel is 24 hour reception availability. The check-in formalities were smooth and we met Sara, a warm and friendly girl at the reception. She gave some good tips to us for sightseeing. The room was pretty spacious from the hostel standards. It was clean and beds were comfy to provide us with good night's sleep.
The breakfast was Norwegian and had a good very good spread. Absolute value for money especially in an expensive city like Oslo...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Let me start by saying that Oslo is the most expensive place I have ever stayed so everything in this review is RELATIVE.
The location is good, close to the Radhusplatz and all the action.
The rooms are VERY small but OK designed. Ditto bathrooms.
The laundry is very useful.
Breakfast is basic.
Attune your expectations and you'll be perfectly happy. Expect 3-5 star and you'll be miserable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple