“Great food and atmosphere”
Review of Den Glade Gris

Price range: US$15 - US$37
Cuisines: Norwegian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sentrum
Description: At Den Glade Gris, the food is prepared according to the slow-cooking method. Here you can enjoy good food and good drinks at a reasonable price. Slow cooking is a cooking method that makes the food tasty and incredibly tender, Grilled pork knuckle is our signature dish, but we also have several other dishes from Norwegian cuisine. If you want to drink a special beer, try Voss Pale Ale or one of our other 80 types of beer.
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

This was a great place where we were served the amazing pork knuckle. Probably way too much food for me but it was extremely yummy! It comes at a very high price though but that was expected and worth every Krone!

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 22 July 2016

The best part of this place is the selection of beer.
Unfortunately the food is not great enough to make it a place I go often.
I have been there 3 times in the last 6 months and had 3 different dishes. The food is OK, but pull down what could have been a great place.
The schweinhaxe was rock hard outside and dry, so probably cooked to long. The pulled pork burgers was way to sweat.
Prices for beer and food is a little on the high side

Reviewed 21 July 2016

We were looking for a different kind of restaurant after touring Scandinavia for two weeks as part of a group. Found Den Glad Gris on Trip Advisor, made a reservation thru our hotel, and walked up there. When we arrived a bit late and tired from the walk, Evan (the owner's husband) was waiting for us at the entrance. He assigned us a waiter and we sat outside on a beautiful summer evening.

Without hesitation, we ordered the house specialty as recommended to us, along with a dark beer (or three) for my wife and a few pear ciders for me. Hard to describe the slow roasted pig knuckle, except to say it was delicious, huge portion, and totally unique. Flavor of the pork was amplified by the wonderful sauce. Crusty skin was awesome. Mashed potatoes and veggies finish the plate.

After dinner, Evan offered to drive us back to our hotel in his Tesla. We got a quick city tour on the way. You won't have a better experience in a foreign city. Can't guarantee that you'll get the ride back to your hotel, but you'll totally enjoy your dinner.

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Being in the Radisson Blu Scandinavia building and so close to city center made this place an easy choice, but it has so much more going for it than just convenience. Evan and his wife have capitalized on the theme of using every part of a pig for their menu, and it works! Their specialty is slow-roasted pig knuckle, which is sensational, particularly if you like juicy pork rinds, but there is also plenty of meat. Evan seated us and was our server, which was special, and he accommodated my wife's gluten-free needs by leaving off the gravy from the veggies and potatoes. While he stresses taste and quantity above presentation, it was a gorgeous plate with the mix of beans, peas, cooked radishes (first for me), and carrots/onions, and potatoes around this huge pig knuckle. Instead of gravy, my wife got a side of a mix of coarse mustard and horseradish, and I loved it myself -- ask for a side of that along with your gravy. We never got in the restaurant but chose the sidewalk table, which was so pleasant on an evening at 75 degrees F. The meal is ample, pre-emptying a need for salad or dessert. They also specialize in craft beers from all over the country, and I chose the pale ale from Voss, which is on tap and really is probably the best if have tasted. However, I previously thought I had bought my most expensive pint of beer in Bergen at 99 NOK, but 133 NOK is my new high at "the happy pig." One pint is certainly enough. It was worth the experience. Go!

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Found this place using Siri for nearby places to eat and we were happy about it. The portions are big, +100 of beer types, friendly staff, reasanoble prices. Higly recommended!

Date of visit: June 2016