“A lot for the money in an expensive country”

Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“A lot for the money in an expensive country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and I, along with two other couples, stayed at the Clarion before venturing out on Norway in a Nutshell. Given the high cost of everything in Norway, i.e. dining out, buying a cup of coffee, etc., the Clarion Bastion FREE amenities including a full buffet breakfast, afternoon waffle (really a pancake) and a light evening meal, makes staying in Oslo at the Clarion Bastion the most reasonable and affordable hotel in any of the Scandanavian countries we've visited. On this trip we stayed at the Raddison Blu in Alesund, an overnight on the M/S NordNorge (Hurtigruten ship) and the Comfort Hotel Hoberg in Bergen before returning to the Clarion Bastion in Oslo. We think the Clarion Bastion was the best of all lodgings we had in Norway. The beds are the most comfortable, the rooms clean and nicely decorated, the staff, i.e. Patrick and others, the most friendly and accommodating and the location ideal for those planning to travel in Norway by train as the train station is but five level blocks away. Regarding Patrick, after doing Norway in a Nutshell over four days, we arrived back at the Clarion Bastion after the 9PM end of the evening light meal. Patrick graciously provided us with a tasty sandwich shortly after our arrival. That kind of service is not found everywhere and was greatly appreciated after traveling all day from Bergen.
Thumbs up for the Clarion Bastion.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank overthehill79
HildeH, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Dear Guest from Seattle,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We all love it and are happy we managed to fullfill your expectations!

Your comments regarding our staff, the nice clean rooms, the food,- thumbs up, and for Patrick especially!

We wish you a warm welcome back,
Best regards
Hilde Hammervold General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Let me start by saying Norway is the most expensive country I have ever been to- so keep this in mind as you go through this review.
It is about a 15 min walk from the bus station I believe. I had a lot of luggage so took a taxi, a 4min drive maybe?- just to step into a taxi in Olso is a minimum fare of about $23- no joke. Weekends and off hours slightly more. Going back to the airport know that there is a bus pick up about 5min walk away in front of Thon Opera, that then connects you to the train line.
Hotel is about 5-10min walk to the Opera house, maybe 10-15min north to get to Karl Johan street, another 5-10 to main area. About 15min walk to dock area.

There is construction in front of the hotel, which in my two day weekend stay was not an issue, but is nothing great to look at. The room I had was on the second floor at the front of teh hotel with the construction view- you could hear music from a club at about 4am. Didn't really bother me, but maybe ask for a quiet room if this would bother you.

My original room was a single for about $130 (typical tiny European room), however note while the website states air conditioning, when I called to say mine wasn't working I was told my room type did not have AC and I could pay $60/night more to upgrade. Rough start, but after stating how unacceptable that was I was upgraded to a nice big room,

Apart from the problem above, the front desk person was very friendly and helpful. Free wireless. When I was researching hotels, reviews here made a big deal about the included breakfast and light dinner at the hotel- at the time I thought "Who cares?" since I would want to experience local restaurants. Well, now I know- I ended up havign almost every meal form the hotel, and they were OK. One main course (like a hamburger, fried rice, or spaghetti) at an average looking Oslo restaurant will be $40, it really took away from the Oslo expereince.

When I was researching around Jan '11 it was the #1 hotel, as of this writing in July it is now #6. I would recommend it from my experience, but there are likely other good places too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank whereisdave
HildeH, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Guest from Austin Texas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Oslo and our hotel with your fellow travellers! I am so pleased we managed to meet your expectations at the hotel!

Regarding aricondition: all de Lux rooms and suites do have individual AC in all rooms,- whereas all standard rooms do have normal ventilation. This is notted in our website,- but other websites sometimes "cut and clip" information from our page to distribute our rooms, someteimes this is not done correct. I would appreciate if you find the page and could be so kind to send it to me / our reception!

All the best ,- from us at the Hotel Bastion!

HIlde Hammervold
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Loved the hotel and the staff was just wonderful! It was easy to find, walked from the train station with lots of luggage. The breakfast was good, the afternoon pancakes were great and the evening reception saved us a lot of $$ on dinner one night. All in all it was a beautiful hotel and a great stay!

That being said, I was uncomfortable every time we left the hotel. I was traveling with my husband and adult children so I didn't switch hotels or anything, but if I had been by myself I probably would have. So unfortunate that the drug addicts seem to have control of the area. We saw people shooting up, saw needles on the street, etc. So very sad. We came and went at all hours, even very late at night, and no one gave us any problems, but it was disturbing to me. In all fairness, the whole area directly around the train station was just as disturbing, so if you go to Oslo you are going to see this, be prepared.

But overall we had a wonderful visit and the staff at this hotel was part of it. They can't do anything about the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT overlook the street.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JClarkFamily
Dear guests from Reno, Nevada!

Thank you som much for your very nice review! We are so thrilled you found our hotel so great, and good value in Oslo.

As you point out,- unfortunatly Oslo has some problems (as do most big cities), and you can see this all around the Central station. Apart from that,- I will state that this area is regarded as quite safe,- I have worked many late evenings in this district for 8 years, walked to the tram or parkinghouse every day,- and never had any bad experiences.

But Oslo also has so many other values as you pointed out,-and we are so happy you and your family had a wonderful stay!

A warm welcome back!

Best regards
Hilde Hammervold General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in late June 2011. It is a short walk to the main train station, and an even shorter one to stops for tram 12 and bus 30, which are useful for getting to tourist sites. The bedroom and bathroom were on the small side, but they were very serviceable. The exceptional thing about this hotel was the food offered. We had the nicest two breakfasts of our trip, and enjoyed the evening buffets as well. The meals were nicely presented and the food was very tasty. This saved us considerable time and money. The staff people were friendly and efficient. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet. There was no construction underway in the area and the street is not busy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bill31310
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

We arrived in Oslo after spending 3 noisy nights in Copenhagen. Asked the clerk, Gese, for a quiet room and she made sure we got one. She was also very helpful with directions and letting me know about the available washing machine (free) and dryer (25 kroner for a token). The breakfast was great. Pancakes (make your own) in the afternoon and light supper buffet in the evening were a great touch. As with all European hotels room on the smaler side and bathroom small, but it was the only hotel in the 5 cities where we stayed that had a convenient outlet for curling iron. Be aware that outlets in the bathrooms are for shavers only (low voltage). About a 10-15min walk from the train station and within 30min walk to major attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, don't know if there are any noisy ones
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarlysGamma
lisburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel one night before our cruise and one night after there was 13 of us all family grandparents, mums and dads and of course the children we had a wonderful time the staff we amazing we will stay again if we are back in Oslo .
We would also like to say our thoughts and prayers are with all the hotel staff and the people of Oslo at this sad time.
The Lyness and the Devine family from Ireland 23rd July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Lake Mary, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

At first we were concerned when we walked from the train station...we got wrong directions and passed through some bad areas (homeless people) but when we DID find it we were very pleasantly surprised...the staff was very accomodating and friendly & the room was very clean and the bed wonderful...our dinner buffet was very nice and adequate. We had "pasta" which was more Norwegian pasta I guess :) but fine. Breakfast was tasty and we were very pleased...we would highly recommend this place. There is construction across the street but it didn't bother us although we were there over a weekend so don't know if that would have been a problem during the week?

Room Tip: Our room was in the front of the hotel - on the street side. We were overlooking a construction site...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends