“Great place to stay and very good value”

Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Great place to stay and very good value”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

When I was looking for accommodation in Oslo, it was very hard to find a reasonable price. We ended up choosing this place because it included the evening meal as well and I was aware of the high price of eating out in Oslo. We had a family suite with two bedrooms and it was really nice and clean. With the breakfast and evening meal (and also afternoon waffles if you're around) included, this is a very very good deal in one of the most expensive countries in the world. The location is also good, about 10 minutes walk from the train station and very close to the amazing new Opera House. There are some works happening around the hotel with the waterfront improvements but they didn't bother us at all. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, particularly Harald (thanks, Harald!). There were even washing machines in the basement that we could use which is unusual for a hotel where you usually have to pay extortionate amounts to wash your clothes - very useful for a family holiday. And there is tea and coffee and fruit available all day. The only thing they didn't provide was pocket money!! I would stay here again definitely.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicole027

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have never reviewed any hotel, good or bad, as I usually cannot be bothered but the staggering incompetence of the staff here has spurred me into action.

I stayed at the Bastion almost two weeks ago having given a debit card for a preauthorisation for my room. Upon checkout we paid in full using another card and were told the preauthorisation amount (of more than a few hundred British pounds) would be released immediately back into my account. Upon return to Britain, the money had still not reached my account so I called the hotel to check and was told they needed to call the bank to have it released - which they had neglected to do on check out several days before despite promising to have done so. I waited the 3 business days they advised it would take to clear and checked my account again, yet still no funds. Three more (costly interntional) calls were made to check on the funds, and each time I was told the bank had not yet been called but that they would do it immediately. As I write now (almost two weeks later) I am still without my money, having been told by the manager that he would do it himself now because inexplicably it has not yet been done.

I paid in full for the services rendered, yet am in effect being charged double as they either refuse or can't be bothered to return my money to me. The manager had no explanation, or an apology for that matter, so I am in the dark as to why what seems to be a simple exercise is beyond the capability of the staff

I thoroughly enjoyed Norway, but a lovely and breathtakingly beautiful trip has been soured by the inaction and incompetence of the Hotel Bastion staff. Should I return to the country, you couldn't pay me to stay at the hotel again - which I wouldn't be able to afford anyway as I probably won't have my money by then either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank LoriPamela1234
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) were very satisfied with our "family room," 2 bedrooms and bath in one suite. The breakfast and dinner buffets had lots of good choices, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was convenient to most of the places we wanted to go--it's very near the central train station , lots of shopping, and the fabulous new Opera House. It's true that the 10-min walk from the train station (which is where the airport train comes in) passes by a couple of more run-down and under-construction streets. But we assume that's part of why the prices are more affordable ( a relative term, given the high prices for all accommodations in Norway) than similar accomodations in ritzier neighborhoods.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

It's been a pleasure to stay at this English style hotel. It is located in the walking distance from the major attractions in Oslo and Central Station with fast train connection to the airport. The staff is very friendly and rooms are pretty nice, clean and big enough (except of tiny bathroom in my room). The price is OK (given the standards in Norway) and it includes not only free breakfast, but also FREE EVENING BUFFET from 6 to 9 pm. I arrived late and was offered a free meal which is not very common in any other hotel I have ever been.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a bad stay at the hotel due to a variety of reasons. First, some of the electronics were not working properly, so they moved us to a larger suite down the hall. Unbeknownst to us, they charged us the full room rate for the larger suite. I wrote them about this and never heard back from them. The hotel is not well built and you can hear every footstep in the unit directly above yours. We called several times to no avail. They rarely pick the phone up. Finally, the area is under construction and unfortunately, you encounter many undesirable people that appear to be drunk or high on drugs. I would encourage you to look at other options.

Room Tip: Only part of the hotel has air conditioning. Th hotel is in need of updating.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ken H
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Our introduction to Oslo was a trip into town from the airport that started with a train and finished at the train station on a bus. Everything in Oslo is under construction, and the train station is basically a bus station at the moment. We rolled out suitcases from the station about 5 or 6 blocks to the Hotel Bastion, past a hostel, a massage parlor, you get the idea. It wasn't exactly a 5-star neighborhood, and our room wasn't going to be ready until 3 p.m. so we left our luggage and walked to the Opera House on the water, which is where everyone was hanging out. It is one of the few nice places in Oslo, which is dirty and full of gypsies. We had two sandwiches and a beer on the main thoroughfare: $50. Everything and everywhere in Norway was like that; you just have to get used to it. But the Norwegians don't seem to be in a hurry to welcome all these tourist dollars into their country, for some reason. We had booked the Bastion because of the "evening meal," figuring (correctly) that it would save us from trying to find a place to eat. Well, the meal was pretty meager -- a vegetable soup and some beans and franks, if I recall, for the hot food, as well as salads, cheese, bread, etc. The whole place is dark and dreary. Our room, which we were told was BIG because it had two beds in it, looked out toward the harbor but directly into yet another construction site (I think they were tearing up the roads). There were two large windows without screens. It was quiet. The bathroom was miniscule, with an interesting shower arrangement where you had to wrap the curved doors around you to create the enclosure. It was hard to get in and out of this contraption. We were very glad we were only in Oslo at the Bastion one night. Unfortunately you have to go to Oslo to get anywhere else in the country. Skip it if you can!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 364santafeguy
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 19 August 2012

There isnt very more that I can add that has not been said about this hotel. Yes, the rooms are on the small side and I did keep wacking my shoulder every time i passed the tv, and tiny bathroom, but it was very clean and we had a room on the inside which was free from street noise. Our room was art decoísh and all the rooms are individually decorated. It was a treat to find a mainly organic selection for breakfast and the dining room was very pretty. 5 mins from the station and opera. We are definately going to stay here again

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from street. A few ´ladies of the night´around :-((
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple