“Bring your slippers and feel at home”

Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion
Ranked #17 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Harald's great smile in reception was a wonderful welcome.

The FlyTo express train from the airport is EXCELLENT (take note Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted expresses!!).

We were given room 211. It is a Jr Suite and they had upgraded us for our anniversary. The room was big (sofa and two armchairs in it) but it was very dark. We called it "the cave". Would probably be better in winter, when it will feel cozier. But as we had beautiful weather in August, it would have been lovely to have a big window with plenty of light when we arrived back early, exhausted from sightseeing.

The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath we didn't use and a GREAT shower we would have taken back to London and that we both used twice a day. Truly wonderful. Hotel provides bathrobes (no slippers).

Storage space was extremely limited for the size of the room, taken up by the fridge located inside it. No drawers and just one high shelf.

Large bed was articulated, with individual electric controls. Comfy.

Room was very clean but space between curtains and window smelt mouldy.

Lighting was excellent in the bathroom but moody in the bedroom. I would have liked stronger light to read in bed.

Location is very central, you can really roll your luggage to the train Station.

The fact that the hotel offers a free buffet at dinner is certainly a BIG draw as Oslo is astoundingly expensive: a simple lunch of two smoked salmon open sandwiches, two cakes, one beer and one coke at Vigeland Park cost us £75 (the cakes were yummy, though). The hotel food varied enormously from one day to another, some days really good, others just "sustenance". Difficult to rate on that point. Staff were wonderful all the time.

We were really tempted to go for a swimm when we went to the islands, but no towels. It would be great if the hotel offered to let you use theirs as it is not something you would ever pack in a suitcase! (we forgot to ask).

Last thing: the Oslo Pass is a must for the health of your wallet if you go sightseeing. Paying individually is far more expensive.

All in all, I've never felt more "at home" in any hotel. As soon as Norway gets cheaper, we'll be back.

Room Tip: They told us that rooms ending in 14, 15, 16 face the street and have big windows. I don't know...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our first night for our trip to Norway, we stayed at the Hotel Bation. Right when we walked in we were offered free afternoon pancakes and all the tea, juice, coffee you can want. The room were small but modern, and even though our hair dryer didn't work, I was offered a new one immediately. Everyone who worked here was extremely friendly and helpful. The best part of the stay the free meals and snacks, we saved a ton of money eating at the hotel. Overall a great kickoff to Norway.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chona S
Reviewed 25 August 2012

When I was looking for accommodation in Oslo, it was very hard to find a reasonable price. We ended up choosing this place because it included the evening meal as well and I was aware of the high price of eating out in Oslo. We had a family suite with two bedrooms and it was really nice and clean. With the breakfast and evening meal (and also afternoon waffles if you're around) included, this is a very very good deal in one of the most expensive countries in the world. The location is also good, about 10 minutes walk from the train station and very close to the amazing new Opera House. There are some works happening around the hotel with the waterfront improvements but they didn't bother us at all. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, particularly Harald (thanks, Harald!). There were even washing machines in the basement that we could use which is unusual for a hotel where you usually have to pay extortionate amounts to wash your clothes - very useful for a family holiday. And there is tea and coffee and fruit available all day. The only thing they didn't provide was pocket money!! I would stay here again definitely.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole027
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have never reviewed any hotel, good or bad, as I usually cannot be bothered but the staggering incompetence of the staff here has spurred me into action.

I stayed at the Bastion almost two weeks ago having given a debit card for a preauthorisation for my room. Upon checkout we paid in full using another card and were told the preauthorisation amount (of more than a few hundred British pounds) would be released immediately back into my account. Upon return to Britain, the money had still not reached my account so I called the hotel to check and was told they needed to call the bank to have it released - which they had neglected to do on check out several days before despite promising to have done so. I waited the 3 business days they advised it would take to clear and checked my account again, yet still no funds. Three more (costly interntional) calls were made to check on the funds, and each time I was told the bank had not yet been called but that they would do it immediately. As I write now (almost two weeks later) I am still without my money, having been told by the manager that he would do it himself now because inexplicably it has not yet been done.

I paid in full for the services rendered, yet am in effect being charged double as they either refuse or can't be bothered to return my money to me. The manager had no explanation, or an apology for that matter, so I am in the dark as to why what seems to be a simple exercise is beyond the capability of the staff

I thoroughly enjoyed Norway, but a lovely and breathtakingly beautiful trip has been soured by the inaction and incompetence of the Hotel Bastion staff. Should I return to the country, you couldn't pay me to stay at the hotel again - which I wouldn't be able to afford anyway as I probably won't have my money by then either.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank LoriPamela1234
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) were very satisfied with our "family room," 2 bedrooms and bath in one suite. The breakfast and dinner buffets had lots of good choices, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was convenient to most of the places we wanted to go--it's very near the central train station , lots of shopping, and the fabulous new Opera House. It's true that the 10-min walk from the train station (which is where the airport train comes in) passes by a couple of more run-down and under-construction streets. But we assume that's part of why the prices are more affordable ( a relative term, given the high prices for all accommodations in Norway) than similar accomodations in ritzier neighborhoods.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2012

It's been a pleasure to stay at this English style hotel. It is located in the walking distance from the major attractions in Oslo and Central Station with fast train connection to the airport. The staff is very friendly and rooms are pretty nice, clean and big enough (except of tiny bathroom in my room). The price is OK (given the standards in Norway) and it includes not only free breakfast, but also FREE EVENING BUFFET from 6 to 9 pm. I arrived late and was offered a free meal which is not very common in any other hotel I have ever been.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a bad stay at the hotel due to a variety of reasons. First, some of the electronics were not working properly, so they moved us to a larger suite down the hall. Unbeknownst to us, they charged us the full room rate for the larger suite. I wrote them about this and never heard back from them. The hotel is not well built and you can hear every footstep in the unit directly above yours. We called several times to no avail. They rarely pick the phone up. Finally, the area is under construction and unfortunately, you encounter many undesirable people that appear to be drunk or high on drugs. I would encourage you to look at other options.

Room Tip: Only part of the hotel has air conditioning. Th hotel is in need of updating.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple