“Nothing particularly wrong with it....but....”

Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion
Ranked #20 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nothing particularly wrong with it....but....”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Positives: Within close walking distance to just about everything, including the train station. Beds were very comfortable. Good water pressure. Good hot water. The rooms were clean, although they show some wear. Breakfast was good (orange juice tasted pretty watered down...but that may have been just me). Staff was friendly. Pancakes in the afternoon.

Negatives: Prostitutes milling around on the corner...not entering the hotel or hanging around outside the hotel or anything...but their presence may be a turn off for people. Personally it wasn't a big deal, but I can see how it could be for others.

We had a rough start with the staff when we checked in. We wanted to change rooms because our view was the ugly roof of the building next door, so my wife went downstairs to ask if it was possible to change. The woman behind the desk gave us a key to another room and we decided to take it. My wife went downstairs and I started to unpack and wanted t take a nap after a long flight. So I was lying on the bed in my underwear and a t-shirt and a woman with two small kids walked in! I was like....hello??? My wife was standing right behind the lady while she was checking in and apparently the lady behind the desk gave her the room after she gave it to us! A bit embarrassing (nobody wants to see me in my underwear, believe me!).

The hotel doesn't have air conditioning, which I am sure is not important most of the time in Oslo. It happened to be very hot while we were there, so sleeping was a bit uncomfortable on two of the warmer nights....and we had to keep the shades closed most of the time so the sun wasn't beating down through the windows and heating the room. Again, not a big knock on the hotel because it's probably not very hot there most of the time.

Which brings me to the fans. We asked if there was a fan available. The person behind the desk said they were all out with other guests, but that she would let us know as soon as one came in. Well, while we were about 5 feet away, someone dropped off a fan. She didn't say anything. Later that night when we came back from dinner there was a fan in the room. So, I don't know if the other one was just promised to someone else or what...but it was another weird interaction with the staff.

The phone has no instructions on it....so there was no way of knowing how to contact the front desk. We tried "0", we tried "9". Nothing. Turns out you need to dial something like, 1411 to reach the front desk. That wasn't noted anywhere....so we ended up just going downstairs most of the time...also because they only picked up the phone about 60% of the time.

Lots of construction going on across the street at a large building....so it is somewhat noisy.

In summary, It's a perfectly fine hotel. For me the most important thing is a nice clean room, good breakfast, and a pleasant hotel environment. It hits the mark, but the street noise, the hookers, and the spotty service are what makes me knock off a couple of stars.

Room Tip: The rooms in the facing the front can get warm on hot days and there is a lot of street noise with t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The location of the hotel is good - although the review commenting on the "working ladies" outside the hotel are absolutely correct. The hotel is definitely an older building so if you appreciate "European Charm" then this might be a place for you. The hotel staff were helpful but often seemed busy - the bed was definitely comfortable. The hotel does not have an air conditioning system and the days I was there the temperature was in the 80's - staff told me it was a "cooling system" and provided a small fan. The windows only open an inch or so and it was often hotter in the room than outside - allowing for the windows to open would have been nice. Overall, a comfortable hotel but I might choose a more modern hotel if I were to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Pernille C, Front Office Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Good evening David,
Thank you for oyur review on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate that you took the time out of a busy day and write us a review.

This summer was the hottest in decades, so this summer we may have had use for an aircondition, but as you know Norway is known for the cool temperature and snowy vinters- usualy we dont need it.

Hope to see you again in Oslo.

Kind regards,
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Got of the DFDS ferry to Oslo and this place is a short convenient walk from the dock. Could not have picked a better spot. Rooms were nice, clean and spacious by European standards. Served a hearty breakfast ...nothing too wild but just enough for a hasty traveller.

Stayed July 2014
Pernille C, Front Office Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Good evening traveler!

Want to let you know that we apreciate your review of Bastion.
Glad you enjoyed you visit even thoug it was a short one.

Welcome back!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 July 2014

So i did spend one night here and I just loved it. Front desk staff is super nice, And they serve you lots of free food. Afternoon tea with self service pancake station.. and from 6pm.. There is a evening meal, and it is just like a little buffet dinner. One hot selection, and one hot soup and a salad buffet as well as cake and bread, I was so full when i went up to my room. All rooms are super nice, Love the design, as it is cosy and you kind of just realx there.. I even had a jacuzzi in my room.. LOVED it.. And the beds are even better.. SO comfy..
and in the morning you will get a very nice breakfast buffet with everything you need for a good start of the day.. There is even a nice gym and sauna there.. But I didnt use it.. ( but I guess I should have due to all the food I ate)
A perfect choice of hotell in Oslo, close to centralstation and just PERFECT..

Room Tip: I did love my room 411.. :-)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank frodelaggo
Hi Frodelaggo,

Im so glad that you loved your stay at Bastion and you are letting us and everyone else know it!
Many of our guests, as well as myself love room 411! It has eveything you need for a calm atmosphere.All our deluxe rooms are different, but there is something special with the cormer rooms, and you only need to pay a small amount to get them.

I promise to let the kitchen and receprion staff know how you felt about there food and there service. It makes me proud of beeing apart of the Bastion familiy.
Again, thank you very much.

We warmly welcome you back!

Valdagno, Italy
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel near the railway central station; excellent staff, particularly at the reception; little but pretty room; very good breakfast and pancakes in the afternoon; a good place to start visiting Oslo in a quiet zone

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Hi Maria,

Im so glad that you felt Oslo and Bastion waas a great place to start your trip.
Im proud of my colleagues for giving to the best service and made you feel welcome.

We warmly welcome you back at Bastion, anytime!

Have a great weekend,
Lillehammer, Norway
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotels location is perfect. The meals are nice and the service in the hotel is nice. BUT service via telephone is totally unacceptable. I`ve never met so unhelpful person in Norway as the one in this hotel. The first person gave me wrong information, which is okay, but the second one didn`t want to make an effort to correct the first ones mistake, just kept on saying that he can`t help. This service needs improvment.

Hi Judit,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Bastion.
Im very sorry that you felt the service via telephone was non existing.
The staff is usually very helpful and I wish yu could give me some more information so we can do something about this mishap. Thank you for letting us know so we can do better.

Again, im sorry for the misunderstanding.
We still hope that you will give us a second chance.

Have a good weekend,
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I don't have any complaints about this wonderful hotel. The location,the breakfast,the light evening meal were all wonderful. The room was actually two connected rooms(with one bathroom) because we were a family of four. The reception was always friendly to all. I recommend this excellent hotel to all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank georgios123
Good eveing Gerogios,

We are so happy for your review on Tripadvisor. We are so glad that you where satisified and had a wonderful stay.
Thank you so much for recommend us to other travelers!

Hope to see you and your familiy back at Bastion soon, till then- have a great weekend!