“Great service and romantic ambience”

Klosteret Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 1,518 Restaurants in Oslo
Price range: US$225 - US$700
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Klosteret is situated in central Oslo - Hammersborg, beside the Deichmanske Main Library. The menu has a wonderful combination of continental and French dishes and the wine list is impressively diverse. The name Klosteret translates as The Monastery and there is a touch of the divine in the old brick arches lit by hundreds of candles and wonderfully calm atmosphere. A unique setting for a meal with colleagues, a romantic evening out or for guests from abroad - an unforgettable experience. The restaurant also has a Chambre Separée for private parties.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The service was excellent and the food is very good. We would like to thank the restaurants for finding the wines we really enjoyed.

1  Thank Eigil

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The atmosphere here is perfect for a romantic evening - completely candlelit. I went there with my boyfriend for our anniversary. There were some larger parties there and a wedding party in the private room but it was still very intimate with dinner by candlelight. It appeared to be mainly locals (usual a great sign) but unfortunately this seemed to mean that locals got great service, whilst foreigners merely got average service. When we arrived, we had to wait more than 5 minutes for anybody to come and greet us. Despite talking with the waiter in English, he gave us Norwegian menus and disappeared, leaving us to fend for ourselves. Having travelled the world, I have no issues with only having local language menus but whereas even in the most basic of restaurants, somebody will always be enthusiastic to translate, nobody seemed willing to help. We asked several waiters and were ignored completely until our very friendly waitress turned up. I couldn't fault her attitude and friendliness but unfortunately there didn't seem to be a very clear division of responsibilities between waiters. This led to us being brought the wrong starter (without us realising). Rather than apologising and asking if we would like to keep the dish, the plates were whisked away from under our noses mid-mouthful - very embarassing! Given we had waited 50 minutes between arriving and getting (the wrong) food, we were not particularly happy about then waiting another 15 minutes for the right starters to arrive. All in all, the food was nice but not spectatcular. In fact, the best thing I ate were the two mouthfuls of the "wrong" starter which tasted amazing. Sadly I don't know what the secret was to be able to order this dish as it wasn't on the set menu we were offered. The surrounding tables appeared to have extensive menus to choose from but clearly we didn't know the secret password... Our lovely waitress saved the evening from being a total disaster but it was certainly not what we had in mind for our anniversary. The food was nice but it was not spectacular for the price. I also live in a very expensive city (Geneva) so am used to paying a lot for dinner but I have to say I was disappointed. Whilst I wouldn't discourage anybody from dining here, I would recommend that you try somewhere else If you are celebrating a special occasion - especially if you are not Norwegian!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

It has become a tradition for my boyfriend and I to go here on our anniversary. One of the reasons is because it is one of the few restaurants that is opened during Christmas holiday in Oslo. However, the main reason we keep our new tradition going is because we are fond of the cuisine and the unique atmosphere at "Kloster".

We really enjoy the calm and cosy ambiance with hymn-like background music, brick walls and the noire dining room lit only by candles. "Kloster" does live up to its name. :)

Last time we were here was on December 28th and got Löjrom fra Kalix, Ørretconfit og tartar, Stekt villkveite, Stekt foie-gras, Rosastekt reinsdyr, Osterett av Monte Veronese portvinsmarinerte korinter og røkte mandler and Sjokolademousse. Yes, it was a good combination with fish, fois-gras, reindeer, cheese and of course chocolate.

So, if you want to go somewhere for a special occasion, "Kloster" is that place! We will be back in December this year. =)

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The bad part first: Dining at Klosteret is not cheap. That said, it is excellent and well worth the money. The atmosphere is very romantic, the entire restaurant being lit almost exclusively by candles. Located in a cellar, this results in a romantic, warm setting regardless of when you visit. We were celebrating a birthday, and selected the 5-course meal with accompanying wine menu. The staff were pleasant and knowledgeable wihout being in obsequious, and were happy to provide not only details of the food and how it was prepared, but also details of the origins and history of certain ingredients and wines. The portions were not excessively large, but instead left you wanting just that little bit more, avoiding the feeling of being overly full which can sometimes be the result of a meal consisting orf several courses. Although all courses were nice, a particular mention goes to the dessert, a creative combination of pear homemade vanilla ice cream and apple, combined with a superb dessert wine. Definitely a memorable meal!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We went here for a birthday dinner, and it was absolutely a great experience. The ambiance was calm and peaceful, the service swift and professional and the food exquisit. We had the five-course set menu, with assorted wines. The combination of food and wine was perfect, and the whole experience was very well wrapped up with a perfect dessert (with a perfect dessert wine). The portions were not too big, and this made me enjoy all five of the different courses. Absolutely a place to go if you want a romantic dinner.
There were a few business people there, but I would personnally not take business relations to this restaurant, as the athmosphere is not appropriate for that (in my opinion).

1  Thank Anne M