“Klosteret always lives up to my expectations!!”

Klosteret Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 1,465 Restaurants in Oslo
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Klosteret is situated in central Oslo - Hammersborg, beside the Deichmanske Main Library. The menu has a wonderful combination of continental and French dishes and the wine list is impressively diverse. The name Klosteret translates as The Monastery and there is a touch of the divine in the old brick arches lit by hundreds of candles and wonderfully calm atmosphere. A unique setting for a meal with colleagues, a romantic evening out or for guests from abroad - an unforgettable experience. The restaurant also has a Chambre Separée for private parties.
Oslo, Norway
“Klosteret always lives up to my expectations!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We just celebrated my birthday at Klosteret with a decadent 5 course dinner. We have been here several times over the last years, and both service and food lives up to my very high expectations every single time. Atmosphere here is amazing, only lighten by candle light while gregorian music softly plays on the background. Each wine was perfectly synched to every dish and the menu was perfectly organized. We will be coming back!

• Visited May 2014

Jessheim, Norway
“Fantastic ”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I was brought here for my bachelor party dinner in April. I had the 5 course dinner with wine for each dish. The food was amazing, wine was amazing, our waiter for the evening did an excellent job and the atmosphere in this restaurant is really good.

Ireland
“Service, Style and Substance”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This restaurant has it all, the romantic atmosphere the excellent food and the staff to match. I took my wife here for her birthday and it didn't disappoint. It's lit entirely by candles which gives it a lovely atmosphere and the food was prepared well. You are given the option for 3,4 or 5 courses with optional wine pairings.

It's not right in the city center but only a few minutes walk away, We were left waiting a few minutes on arrival but were then shown straight to our table, The Maître D did look for an English menu but explained that the menu was in Norwegian and they would translate. It didn't turn out to be an issue as the waitress had excellent English and went through the course options with us with only a little difficulty finding the correct word for some of the types of fish.

For an occasion meal this is an excellent choice.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Bluechip78
Oslo
“Great service and romantic ambience”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The service was excellent and the food is very good. We would like to thank the restaurants for finding the wines we really enjoyed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Eigil
Switzerland
“Nice, but not as good as I'd hoped”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The atmosphere here is perfect for a romantic evening - completely candlelit. I went there with my boyfriend for our anniversary. There were some larger parties there and a wedding party in the private room but it was still very intimate with dinner by candlelight. It appeared to be mainly locals (usual a great sign) but unfortunately this seemed to mean that locals got great service, whilst foreigners merely got average service. When we arrived, we had to wait more than 5 minutes for anybody to come and greet us. Despite talking with the waiter in English, he gave us Norwegian menus and disappeared, leaving us to fend for ourselves. Having travelled the world, I have no issues with only having local language menus but whereas even in the most basic of restaurants, somebody will always be enthusiastic to translate, nobody seemed willing to help. We asked several waiters and were ignored completely until our very friendly waitress turned up. I couldn't fault her attitude and friendliness but unfortunately there didn't seem to be a very clear division of responsibilities between waiters. This led to us being brought the wrong starter (without us realising). Rather than apologising and asking if we would like to keep the dish, the plates were whisked away from under our noses mid-mouthful - very embarassing! Given we had waited 50 minutes between arriving and getting (the wrong) food, we were not particularly happy about then waiting another 15 minutes for the right starters to arrive. All in all, the food was nice but not spectatcular. In fact, the best thing I ate were the two mouthfuls of the "wrong" starter which tasted amazing. Sadly I don't know what the secret was to be able to order this dish as it wasn't on the set menu we were offered. The surrounding tables appeared to have extensive menus to choose from but clearly we didn't know the secret password... Our lovely waitress saved the evening from being a total disaster but it was certainly not what we had in mind for our anniversary. The food was nice but it was not spectacular for the price. I also live in a very expensive city (Geneva) so am used to paying a lot for dinner but I have to say I was disappointed. Whilst I wouldn't discourage anybody from dining here, I would recommend that you try somewhere else If you are celebrating a special occasion - especially if you are not Norwegian!

• Visited August 2013