“Fab view, good food”

Price range: US$20 - US$56
Cuisines: Norwegian, International
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: During the summer months we welcome you with a beautiful outdoor service with a fantastic view of the Oslofjord, the islands and boats. Ekebergrestauranten is located in the hills just above Oslo, with a stunning view of the inner Oslo fjord, the city and the Operahouse. If you arrive by car or taxi, you will find us by following the signs to Nordstrand.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is one of many reviews I've written about Ekebergrestauranten. This review is based on my latest experience in the more casual outdoor restaurant on the terrace. No reservations are taken as far as I know. We arrived on a sunny Sunday before noon. The restaurant opens at 12:00 but at 11:30 all the best tables were taken. By 12:00 it was full. People started to line up, but it was not organized and Norwegians are not the very good at forming queues, but it seemed to work out okay in the end. The guests were a mix of young and elderly, families with kids and couples on a date. The outdoor restaurant is for everyone! The menu is limited, but has options such as stone-oven baked pizza, mussels and Caesar salad. The price range is between 100 - 200 NOK, a cheaper option than dining inside. Service is good and water was brought to our table immediately.
I had a Caesar salad and my husband had a brownie with ice cream. The salad was tasty, my only complaint would be that the croutons tasted like cake - a tad to sweet (but probably to balance the saltiness of the salad) and the bacon was hard.
The brownie was cheap, but was cold so it was not fresh and came from the fridge, but not too bad.
The best thing about Ekebergrestauranten is the view. You can see most of the city and it's a great spot to see the new Barcode district. I would definitely go back for another lunch, it's a great place for good food and a fabulous view to go with it.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were leery of this restaurant, since we had read reviews that the food wasn't that good. Wrong! The food and presentation were excellent, and - to us - matched the awesome view of Oslo from its southeastern side. In particular, the maître de was very friendly and accommodating, even though we had just arrived from hiking nearby Ekeberg Park in our casual clothes with a backpack. He prepared a glass of wine for me while we waited for a table, and he placed us at a window table with a beautiful view of Oslo.

1  Thank bsimosd
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location and physical space were great, with a good atmosphere. I found it interesting how many were drinking beer with dinner instead of wine, but that is obviously a local preference. Best food is definitely the local fish, which you could choose from and have cooked as you prefer. Located in amazing sculpture park, and as the sun does down the views are spectacular. Overall, highly recommended. However, not cheap (of course, nowhere in Oslo is....)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

During our visit in Oslo, we had lunch at the Ekebergrestauranten. As we got lucky with the weather, we could sit outside and enjoy a fantastic view over Oslo.

The service was fast, efficient and friendly. As far as food is concerned, the selection outside is limited, but the things we ordered were of good quality and taste. The size of the portions were also OK, enough, but not excessive.

I cannot comment on the wine selection as I was invited and never got the chance ro see the wine list, suffice it to say that we had a very decent dry Riesling from Germany, if I am not mistaken.

All in all a positive experience, and I would strongly suggest you visit this place when you stay in Oslo - if not for the culinary, then for panoramic experience.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great situated resturant with pleasant service, hospitality and good food - excellent wiev of city and fjord. After a walk in the forest around with great sculptures - just enjoy a good meal at the end!

Thank Trygve Hermod B... T